Author Topic: A Short Course in Brain Surgery  (Read 5809 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Short Course in Brain Surgery
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »
actually I don`t think many high school kids do MC d`s
I was in college when I did it and all my co-worker are college to middle-age.

Then you were in a Mickey D's close to a college. Most Mickey D's I've been in have had high school students doing the bulk of the work, except those right next to college campuses.

Besides, the point still stands - most college students are covered under their parent's health care plans.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Richpo64

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 04:02:16 PM »
>>actually I don`t think many high school kids do MC d`s. I was in college when I did it and all my co-worker are college to middle-age.<<

Okay, then you were covered by your parents health insurance as are all college students.

As for middle aged McDonald's workers, I'd guess they aren't the main bread winners and would be covered by their spouses insurance.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 04:28:16 PM »
that`s a interesting subject
it`s assumed family are covered by the income earners insurance.
correct me if i`m wrong but don`t spouses and children cost a gool deal more for the incomer to cover?
I have a friend who quit and workerd at another firm because the insurance coverage cost less.
the cost is s high ,maybe family are not covered

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »
it`s assumed family are covered by the income earners insurance.

That's because one income earner usually works for the health care insurance offered by the company. In the past, I was the sole breadwinner, so I covered the bills as well as health care. Since my daughter has graduated, my wife works for a company that offers good health care benefits, and I can do consulting, which pays better but the health care benefits generally suck.

That's just the way it is usually done.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Richpo64

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 04:35:09 PM »
>>correct me if i`m wrong but don`t spouses and children cost a gool deal more for the incomer to cover?

The more people insured, the more it costs the insured. It's hardly prohibitive though.

>>I have a friend who quit and workerd at another firm because the insurance coverage cost less.<<

Ain't America great? If your friend lived in Canada she would have no choice in healthcare. Socialized Medicine = Don't like it? Lump it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »
true
but she would also have a better chance of buying a house in canada also.
medicine is more available in the U.S. ,but it`s definately not exactly affordable.
note the couple had the money to cover it.
and stated they would have to go into debt otherwise.
and also note they still want a refund.
it`s not much of a slam on canadian healthcare if they still want the system to still pickup the tab.
in the U.S. the couple would have nobody to pickup the tab.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 11:40:33 PM »
Most of the "burger flippers" as you term them are high school students who are covered under their parent's health care plans. Most of the adults are higher up, and get significantly more pay.

I doubt that most of the McD employees here in Miami have any sort of insurance. They are not middle-class kids. In my neighborhood, they are mostly Haitians and a few Latinos and barely speak English. I seriously doubt that their parents have any sort of insurance at all, as they work at crappy jobs like cab drivers and nursing home flunkies.

Again, the Canadians MIGHT have to pay $28,000; the same couple in the USA would HAVE to pay $28,000 and would ave no hope of ever being reimbursed. This guy worked in an autobody shop. Very unlikely that he would have any decent medical insurance if he lived in the USA.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »
Again, the Canadians MIGHT have to pay $28,000; the same couple in the USA would HAVE to pay $28,000 and would ave no hope of ever being reimbursed.

Where do you get this number? Pull it out of your hat?

A couple weeks ago I priced family coverage in Maryland to rebut a post of Lanya's. I found an insurance plan that ran about $200 per month, which totals to $2,400 a year. It wasn't great coverage, but it was adequate for a family that was generally healthy, and would prevent them losing everything if there was a catastrophic illness. Out of pocket could run as much as $5,000 a year for the family. So, if they had to use the plan to the max, it would cost the family just $7,400 a year maximum.

Do you just make up your "facts"?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
Matter of fact, XO, I have an excellent medical plan. Very good coverage, with $0 co-pays for office visits, $0 co-pays for prescription drugs, and $0 co-pays for emergency care.

The coverage cost, including the part the employer pays, is $9,600 a year. I have no idea where you came up with your $28,000 a year figure.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 12:43:45 AM »
uhm
I got that from the video by this post
it`s the amount that lawyer is asking to be refunded
also
I just got a bill for my dad being in the ER last month for 13k+
so 28k is not a crazy amount at all
it might be cheap even
I`m in the precess to get it wiped-off from his insurance.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
Insert Quote
Matter of fact, XO, I have an excellent medical plan. Very good coverage, with $0 co-pays for office visits, $0 co-pays for prescription drugs, and $0 co-pays for emergency care.

The coverage cost, including the part the employer pays, is $9,600 a year. I have no idea where you came up with your $28,000 a year figure.
=============================================================================================
The $28,000 is what the Canadian had to pay for his treatment. Perhaps you didn't actually read the original post.

As for your insurance, O goody for you. But this fellow was not some sort of consultant; he worked in an autobody shop, which would most likely prevent him from getting your excellent (9,600 per year?) insurance nor McDonald's.

Perhaps you are unaware that you are not typical.

Had this guy waited for the scan and treatment, he would have lived, and he would still have his $28,000.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Richpo64

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »
>>but she would also have a better chance of buying a house in canada also.<<

Really? How come? Have you checked the market here in the States lately? I'll be putting my house on the market in March. Give me a call, I'll make you a deal.

Richpo64

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
>>Where do you get this number? Pull it out of your hat?<<

I'm guessing he pulled it our from someplace a lot lower, per usual.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »
As for your insurance, O goody for you. But this fellow was not some sort of consultant; he worked in an autobody shop, which would most likely prevent him from getting your excellent (9,600 per year?) insurance nor McDonald's.

Why? That amount, as I said, included the employer's portion. Any Joe Blow could contact the insurance company and get a similar plan. And as I also pointed out, there are many CHEAPER plans that would have also covered the tests.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »
But....but...Ami.  That's sending the wrong message, that individuals should be responsible for their own healthcare, should facilitate actions in trying to take care of themselves.  I mean.....that's just so wrong

;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle