Author Topic: New Subnormality  (Read 1948 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Subnormality
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »
http://www.viruscomix.com/subnormality.html

Hey I really like these.

And she doesn't make one every month.

It is a kind of peculiar comic, and I hardly ever agree with the conclusions.

But something about it strikes me as interesting.

And I don't have to talk to the author.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: New Subnormality
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
Just weird.

Well drawn and original, anyway.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »
    On Subnormality.

When I asked Rowntree whether Subnormality would exist had he been born in the pre-internet age, he had a lot to say. “You have no idea how bone-chillingly terrifying that question is…! AIEEE…!! Were there no internet, would I have produced something similar? I DON’T know, and it’s horrible to think of because I’m so 1000% happy with what I have that I hate to imagine it having gone another way.” He added that he was “terrified” imagining succeeding with a newspaper comic. “I might have just settled into whatever little groove those 3-4 panels allowed me and never would have explored bigger and more challenging ideas like I attempt to in my current work. I really am proud of what I’ve achieved in terms of challenging myself and then hearing back from the audience that they enjoyed what I’d made, and in terms of trying to take advantage of the internet’s infinite canvas and lack of content restrictions.”

http://post.browndailyherald.com/2014/04/23/subnormal/

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »
http://ergocomics.cl/wp/2012/05/encuentro-con-autores-notables/

Seems interesting , but my Spanish vocabulary is too small .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
Jodorowsky calls himself an "atheist mystic" .

He wrote The Incal in French, but it has been translated to English

http://www.amazon.com/The-Incal-Alexandro-Jodorowsky/dp/1594650152

I was unaware of this before I saw it online.

His film El Topo was shown in Mexico City when I lived there. After two weeks, it was shut down by the government, El Topo means "The Mouse", but it has nothing to do with rodents. It is a sort of metaphysical mystic Western. Many of the images were lifted for more famous Hollywood productions.

After two years searching, I finally got a copy on VHS, but it was dubbed in Japanese with Spanish subtitles. I think that a DVD is available now. It has some of the most memorable scenes of any film I have seen.

Jodorowsky was contracted to direct Dune, but he went overbudget and his version was not released until recently. Jodorowsky does not seem to care about money, and so long as he has enough to live on and finance his projects, he seems happy.  Amazon has a lot of his stuff. Some day I will get it all.

His latest film The Holy Mountain is supposed to be a sequel to El Topo, but is only available on Blueray coded for the PAL region.
Santa Sangre has been available for some time, and is his most coherent film. Bizarre as only Jodorowsky can be bizarre.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K346JAS/ref=pd_va_rv_0

Is it coherent ?

Or is it surreal entirely?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
Probably both, but more surreal than coherent.

I hear that his version of Dune will be released sometime soon, but with Jodorowsky, you never know. He is not motivated by money or fame.
He is rather like Picasso in some ways, and Dali in others, with a touch of the Dalai Lama thrown in.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »
Now you have me imagining a Dali Lama wearing a pointed mustache.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
There is a Wikipedia article on Jodorowsky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejandro_Jodorowsky

Here is a trailer for The Holy Mountain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiA3w6Y3KA

Jodorowsky was born in Iquique, in the northern desert of Chile, which is a pretty surrealistic place. He is now 85, the same age as Fidel.

His plan to film Frank Herbert's DUNE was to make a ten-hour megafilm. Bertolucci made 1900 about the same time, which spans Italian history for most of the XX Century. A documentary of this work was made which I have not yet seen, biut is said to have a lot of really innovative cinematic parts that have been borrowed by more traditional filmmakers.

Di Laurentiis Dune was a film that was terrific for those who had read the book, but confusing and boring for those who had not. The fact is that Dune is too long to make a single film. A series, like Breaking Bad, or The Sopranos would be great, and of course, Herbert''s Dune novels are a far more imaginative universe than Star Wars. But the kids want whizbang battle scenes, and do not respond well to subtleties of plot and philosophic and poetic reflection.  Sci Fi will be a much bigger deal in the future, as the population ages, and there are more mature minds interested in the implications.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

Peter Jackson finally figured out how to make megafilms. When the last part of The Hobbit is released, there will be something like ten hours total. Of course, people can now watch these on DVD at home. No one wants to sit in a theater for ten hours.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:38:01 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
When I read Dune I managed to keep up with the large cast of characters and the very frequent introspective internal monologs.

Then I saw the movie and lost track of all that, even with the book in my memory , the movie was too hard to follow and slow moving.

Making a good movie from Dune is going to be hard , perhaps it requires a very nonstandard approach.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
There are a could of low budget films made for TV or cable where the action takes part after the original Dune.  I find the insistence in the Dune series as well as the Star Wars series on royalty to be silly. I do not think that a high tech civilization is going to tolerate royalty. If a person is a great leader, it rarely follows that hsi son will be also a great leader, or even interesting in being a leader. Louis XIV managed to turn the nobility into his servants, and forfeited their power to him, That took some leadership skills. His son Louis XV never ruled and his grandson, the one who was beheaded by the Revolution, was a sort of dilettante that was far more interested in watchmaking, and also was a fan of hot air ballooning, But as a leader he sucked, and got his head chopped off.

I do not see royal and noble families as being likely and certainly not interplanetary.  Kings and princesses in space is just silly.