Author Topic: Bush's America: 100 Percent Al-Qaida Free Since 2001  (Read 27063 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bush's America: 100 Percent Al-Qaida Free Since 2001
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
I observe that you have no comments on corporate elections.

They are essentially the same thing as elections in Communist countries.

I never said that the Communists were actually democratic. They weren't, except in a few places like Bologna and San Marino.

But they do understand the concept of elections and how the majority chooses the winner of the contest.

It was not difficult for Poland or the Czech Republic to hold elections. It was a lot easier than what happened in places unfamiliar with elections, like Nepal and East Timor, or for that matter Taiwan or South Korea.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »

Corporations are not governments. They cannot enforce their will on you at gunpoint as a government can. I would have thought that would be obvious to you.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
One must consider the source
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
<<Imagine the Democrats locking up all of the Republicans , shooting half of the leaders , and shooting all the smaller partys 100%.>>

I guess what you're really saying is that the military-industrial complex, the War Party, the Power Elite, the Secret Government or whatever anyone wants to call it has found a less brutal way of ensuring its perpetual grip on power than the Communists did.   Not that I accept your analogy, it's shot full of holes reality-wise in that it probably never happened, but even if that is the distinction you wish to draw between Communism and the U.S. system - - it's pretty meaningless.

What you'd be left with - - accepting your bizarre premises as fact - - would be equally farcical and bogus "elections" on both sides of the divide, one being more brutally achieved than the other, but farces nevertheless.

More brutal doesn't matter?

Haveing free speech , and a right of assembly , the USA hoasts more than a dozen partys , so far only three have ever gained more than 20% of the vote , but one of those died out , from unpopularity and confusion.

The Greens and the Libertarians are looking for one of the present strong partys to trip up and drop a constituancy they can appeal to.

I am a stalwart Republican , but I do not favor "the two party system" being supported by law , I regret that incumbancy is such an advantage that it ensures so many safe seats in the legislature.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2008, 07:50:01 PM »
Corporations are not governments. They cannot enforce their will on you at gunpoint as a government can. I would have thought that would be obvious to you.

Technically, your statement may be true but Halliburton exerts its corporate will daily using the US government's proxy.

Considering the oil companies are getting away with taking our money the way they are, I'd say that even technically, your statement is demonstrably false.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
<<More brutal doesn't matter?>>

Don't change the subject.  You started with the ridiculous assertion that the Communists didn't hold real elections and the issue is really the meaningfulness of Communist vs U.S. elections.  My point was that in both, the candidates were selected by a process guaranteed to leave the existing power structure intact, basically to preserve the status quo.  I already conceded that the U.S. system of candidate pre-selection was probably less brutal than the Communists.  I never said that brutality didn't matter, but the issue was electoral manipulation, not the means of manipulation.  I take it you have no rebuttal now to my point that under both systems, the elections are gamed by the selection of the candidates.

If you now want to discuss brutality, I'm prepared for that too.  I wouldn't suggest that the land of the Lynch Mob, Jim Crow and the Genocide of the American Indians really needs to have discussions focused on which regime is the more brutal, but if you wish to engage in this, I'm all ears.

<<Haveing free speech , and a right of assembly , the USA hoasts more than a dozen partys , so far only three have ever gained more than 20% of the vote , but one of those died out , from unpopularity and confusion.>>

Bullshit.  The whole system is structured so that only two "parties" have a snowball's chance in hell of putting a man or woman in the Oval Office and that would apply if the U.S.A. boasted a dozen parties or a thousand dozen parties.

<<The Greens and the Libertarians are looking for one of the present strong partys to trip up and drop a constituancy they can appeal to.>>

Yeah and in whose lifetime?  In what century?

<<I am a stalwart Republican , but I do not favor "the two party system" being supported by law , I regret that incumbancy is such an advantage that it ensures so many safe seats in the legislature.>>

Regret all you like, my friend, the fact remains that the system is structured in a way that only one of two "parties" will ever capture the White House and as far as the fundamentals of the class war and foreign policy are concerned it won't make a God-damned bit of difference as to which one it is.  You are as much of a one-party state as the U.S.S.R. ever was, albeit with less brutality and a broader range of permissible commentary.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »

You mean to say that persons with more money invested get more votes?

I didn't know that.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »

I didn't know that.

Clearly, a person with thousands of disposable dollars can use those dollars to advertise in an attempt to convince others to vote, so, in a way, they can deliver more votes than say me.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »
<<More brutal doesn't matter?>>

Don't change the subject. 

Did I bring up Brutal?

You started with the ridiculous assertion that the Communists didn't hold real elections and the issue is really the meaningfulness of Communist vs U.S. elections.  My point was that in both, the candidates were selected by a process guaranteed to leave the existing power structure intact, basically to preserve the status quo.   

Ok but it isn't supposed to change the power structure , it is supposed to enable the people to change the leadership of the powerstructure without resorting to revolution. This it does quite well.

I already conceded that the U.S. system of candidate pre-selection was probably less brutal than the Communists.  I never said that brutality didn't matter, but the issue was electoral manipulation, not the means of manipulation.  I take it you have no rebuttal now to my point that under both systems, the elections are gamed by the selection of the candidates.

Do you mean it is a matter of degree? The canadates are selected by voteing within the parties, this is called "primarys" or "caucuses" and the partys both are constantly seeking people who can appeal to the people and win.

If you now want to discuss brutality, I'm prepared for that too.  I wouldn't suggest that the land of the Lynch Mob, Jim Crow and the Genocide of the American Indians really needs to have discussions focused on which regime is the more brutal, but if you wish to engage in this, I'm all ears.

I am prepared to admit your were right to claim the greater Bruatality for the Communists.

<<Haveing free speech , and a right of assembly , the USA hoasts more than a dozen partys , so far only three have ever gained more than 20% of the vote , but one of those died out , from unpopularity and confusion.>>

Bullshit.  The whole system is structured so that only two "parties" have a snowball's chance in hell of putting a man or woman in the Oval Office and that would apply if the U.S.A. boasted a dozen parties or a thousand dozen parties.

So what law prevents the fate of the Wigs from comeing to a party that can't please a lot of people?
In the present?

<<The Greens and the Libertarians are looking for one of the present strong partys to trip up and drop a constituancy they can appeal to.>>

Yeah and in whose lifetime?  In what century?

<<I am a stalwart Republican , but I do not favor "the two party system" being supported by law , I regret that incumbancy is such an advantage that it ensures so many safe seats in the legislature.>>

Regret all you like, my friend, the fact remains that the system is structured in a way that only one of two "parties" will ever capture the White House and as far as the fundamentals of the class war and foreign policy are concerned it won't make a God-damned bit of difference as to which one it is.  You are as much of a one-party state as the U.S.S.R. ever was, albeit with less brutality and a broader range of permissible commentary.

The number of the partys don't matter after it rises to two, three partys would work fine so would four .

But one is the lonely number with a problem.

Even zero partys would be better than one , our first President was selected without help from a party , he joined the Wigg after the elections , reluctantly.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »

I didn't know that.

Clearly, a person with thousands of disposable dollars can use those dollars to advertise in an attempt to convince others to vote, so, in a way, they can deliver more votes than say me.

I knew that about us , I didn't know it about Communists.

I never said that the Communists were actually democratic. They weren't, except in a few places like Bologna and San Marino.

But they do understand the concept of elections and how the majority chooses the winner of the contest.

It was not difficult for Poland or the Czech Republic to hold elections. It was a lot easier than what happened in places unfamiliar with elections, like Nepal and East Timor, or for that matter Taiwan or South Korea.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

You mean that a real election is easy after four decades of dry runs?

Ok . . . I can accept that.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:52 PM »
 <<Did I bring up Brutal?>>

I brought up brutality in distinguishing U.S. preselection of candidates for phony "elections" from Communist pre-selection.  Regardless of who brought it up, YOU were the one who attempted to suddenly change the issue from which elections were more genuine measures of popular will to which were more brutal.  Presumably because on the issue of which election system more realistically represented the popular will, you were all out of arguments that favoured the American way.

<<Ok but it isn't supposed to change the power structure , it is supposed to enable the people to change the leadership of the powerstructure without resorting to revolution. This it does quite well.>>

My point was that the people who are on the top of the power structure in both communist and U.S. systems have gamed the election process so that the system and their privileged position within it will be preserved regardless of the election results.  The people have no power to change the system through their elected representatives.  When you say "it isn't supposed to change the power structure," that is pure bullshit.  There were no limits other than the Constitution on what the people through their elected representatives could do.  They could for example elect a government that would stop supporting Israel, and they could elect another government in the next election that could sign a mutual defence treaty with Israel.  Today the system is gamed to protect special Israeli interests such that regardless of the winner of the election, it won't make a damned bit of difference to Israel.  Similar protection exists for the interests threatened by single-payer healthcare insurance, for the entire foreign policy structure and for the banks.  There will be no radical restructuring of any aspect of the system in which powerful vested interests would stand to lose.

<<Do you mean it is a matter of degree? The canadates are selected by voteing within the parties, this is called "primarys" or "caucuses" and the partys both are constantly seeking people who can appeal to the people and win.>>

No, come on, you know it is more complicated than that.  They are seeking people within a very narrow political spectrum of opinion who can appeal to the people and win.  Cynthia McKinney is an example of someone who can very obviously "appeal to the people and win," yet who was totally destroyed when she ventured outside the narrow spectrum of politically acceptable opinion and stepped on the toes of the Israel Lobby.

<<I am prepared to admit your were right to claim the greater Bruatality for the Communists.>>

I don't think you understood me.  In the narrow area of electoral fixing, I conceded that the Communists were probably the more brutal overall.  In general, I don't think it's at all clear that Communism was any more brutal than America.

<<So what law prevents the fate of the Wigs from comeing to a party that can't please a lot of people?
In the present?>>

Basically it's the complex of laws starting with the Constitution that govern how elections are held and the ability of moneyed interests working within that legal framework (and sometimes outside it) to game the system that prevents today's "two" political "parties" from suffering the fate of the Whigs.  The interests know that they have to preserve the fiction of electoral choices, and so the maintenance of two so-called political parties (even though both promote essentially the same version of American policy) is essential to the preservation of that fiction.  It's a stable system and it'll last a long time, although of course nothing lasts forever.  I would expect that as the American Empire enters its final state of decline, a lot of things are going to change radically, the Constitution itself and the two parties that now dominate its process.

<<The number of the partys don't matter after it rises to two, three partys would work fine so would four.>>

I beg to differ - - two is all that's strictly necessary to preserve the illusion of democratic choice; each one that is added after that adds more uncertainty and more problems of control for the War Party.

<<But one is the lonely number with a problem.>>

Be that as it may, ONE is really the number of effective political parties in America today, split of course into two Tweedledum and Tweedledee wings.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
"Be that as it may, ONE is really the number of effective political parties in America today, split of course into two Tweedledum and Tweedledee wings."

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Ross Perot started a party from scratch and pulled in 15% of a national election.

That is only one in seven , but I say it is enough to matter.

It is difficult to climb Mt. Everest , it is difficult to start up a challenge to the system , but enough motivation and resorces are possible , not insurmountable.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »
Ross Perot started a party from scratch and pulled in 15% of a national election.

[<<In the 1992 election, he received 18.9% of the popular vote>> - -Wikipedia]

It is difficult to climb Mt. Everest , it is difficult to start up a challenge to the system , but enough motivation and resorces are possible , not insurmountable.

===============================================

never happen, plane.  The system is RIGGED.  Ross Perot self-destructed before the system had to do its work.  The system has an escalating series of options up to and including political assassination, but the bottom line is that what you say is possible hasn't happened once in my lifetime or yours.  Hasn't even come close.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »

[<<In the 1992 election, he received 18.9% of the popular vote>> - -Wikipedia]

===============================================

never happen, plane.  The system is RIGGED.  Ross Perot self-destructed before the system had to do its work.  The system has an escalating series of options up to and including political assassination, but the bottom line is that what you say is possible hasn't happened once in my lifetime or yours.  Hasn't even come close.

Well you caught me being wrong, one in five not one in seven.

Yet it proves nothing to you?

Ross Perot was not handsome, not especially inspireing, but at that moment in history there were a lot of us desireing something that the Dems and Republicans were not offering.

That is the main thing it takes , that is what motivates the two partys to pander to our wants , it is the missing element in a one party system.

With just one party you lead the peoiple , not hte other way around.