Author Topic: Richardson wants troops out next year  (Read 2732 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Richardson wants troops out next year
« on: December 16, 2006, 09:07:04 PM »
Richardson wants troops out of Iraq next year

December 16, 2006

MANCHESTER, N.H. --New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said Saturday that the administration should set a date to withdraw American troops from Iraq in 2007 and criticized Sen. John McCain's call for boosting troop levels there.

"It makes no sense," the potential Democratic presidential candidate said at St. Anselm College. "There is no military solution. There's got to be a political solution."

Richardson said McCain, seen as a front-runner among potential Republican presidential hopefuls, would only foment sectarian violence with his call for an additional 30,000 troops.

America must reinvigorate its diplomacy in the Middle East by starting with Iraq, Richardson said in an address at the New Hampshire Democratic Party's winter meeting.

"This is not cut and run," he said. "What I'm proposing is something that I believe will work. A fixed withdrawal date. You redeploy those troops."

A withdrawal should be coupled with a political solution and a reconciliation conference with ethnic groups in Iraq, he said. He said it would allow the Pentagon to redeploy forces to Afghanistan and bolster efforts to combat international terrorism.

U.S. Rep-elect Paul Hodes agreed with Richardson that a political solution is needed.

Hodes said an infusion of troops could provide a short period of stabilization, but it was not a long-term answer.

"It is not the answer to what is ailing Iraq or what is ailing us in Iraq," he said. "We need a responsible exit strategy that protects American security."

Richardson said America must renew its commitment to Israel and find ways to deal with Iran and Syria. He said opening up channels for dialogue does not mean America has to make concessions

"Another national security threat: climate," Richardson said.

The former Energy Secretary said the future energy solution includes solar, biomass, fuel-cell technologies and tax credits for renewable energy. He said a program for all vehicles to get 40 mpg must be pursued.

Richardson said the president and Congress must invest more in education, fight for democracy and human rights, and focus on achieving energy independence at home. He also spoke of strengthening the economy.

"I cut taxes and it works if you pay for it, if you target it, if you do it for the middle class," he said. "We should be the party of economic growth."

Richardson said the federal government must reinforce its border security, including hiring more agents. He panned the idea of a wall on the Mexican border to stem illegal immigration. A plan to curb illegal immigration must stay true to Americas ideals as the land of opportunity, said Richardson, a Latino.

Richardson said he would make an announcement in early 2007 on whether he would be a presidential candidate in 2008.

After congratulating New Hampshire Democrats for Election Day victories, Richardson said the 2008 presidential primary is shaping up to be a great proving ground for the candidates.

"Lets be tested," he said, "if I'm running."
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2006/12/16/richardson_wants_troops_out_of_iraq_next_year/
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Richardson wants troops out next year
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »
Good to see Richardson staking out a position.

Mucho

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:30:16 PM »
Good to see Richardson staking out a position.

I have always wanted to support Bill . It is too bad he is a fat slob like the Repubs.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 10:54:17 PM »
I have always wanted to support Bill . It is too bad he is a fat slob like the Repubs.

So you base your votes on appearance. I knew you were shallow. I just didn't realize how much.

Mucho

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 12:42:31 AM »

So you base your votes on appearance. I knew you were shallow. I just didn't realize how much.

Better to be shallow & skinny than shallow , fat , ugly & evil inside & out like you Bushidolators.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 12:45:46 AM »
Better to be shallow & skinny than shallow , fat , ugly & evil inside & out like you Bushidolators.

Predictable and trite.

Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mucho

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:33:24 PM »

Predictable and trite.

Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I  personally have no problem obese people . My wife of over 40 years is and I still see the wonderful , intelligent and beautiful women in there, but I would not vote for her for Pres or anything else for that matter. People that are that big have a real problem with self-discipline and self image that can be dangerous. Look a t Rush Limpballs and the stupidity he bellows or Big Dick Cheney's gross stupidity & evil or Denny Hasterts excellent impersonation of a pig. Bush is one of the few normal sized in the RW Pantheon of thugs , but he has a fat wallett , fat heart soul and an especially fat head.
You too must still be a bit pudgy after losing 40 lbs, huh? Defending  a weakness like obesity isnt as bad as defending an immoral war , I suppose.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 01:45:42 PM »
I  personally have no problem obese people .

And then you go on and insult people based on their weight.

Hypocrisy.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 02:32:55 PM »
You too must still be a bit pudgy after losing 40 lbs, huh?

Nope. Helps to do some exercising as it comes off. I'm at my high school playing weight.

And i wasn't defending obesity. I was commenting on your superficiality and shallowness.

Mucho

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 04:17:53 PM »
You too must still be a bit pudgy after losing 40 lbs, huh?

Nope. Helps to do some exercising as it comes off. I'm at my high school playing weight.

And i wasn't defending obesity. I was commenting on your superficiality and shallowness.

I was a former fatty as well. Now I do Yoga nearly & walk nearly everyday and work with weights every other day. I am not at my HS weight as that was a tad too skinny, but I am approaching my Marine Corps weight which was so perfect I couldnt keep my hands off myself!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »
I don't think Richardson's weight or girth have a damned thing to do with his competence. They might affect his electabiity. We have not elected a bald president since Eisenhower, or a truly fat one since Taft.

Ike was a hero, and Taft was ridiculed after reports that he was allegedly stuck in the White House bathtub, which was allegedly broken to extract said obese President.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 05:14:50 PM »
I am approaching my Marine Corps weight which was so perfect I couldnt keep my hands off myself!

No surprise there. Thought you were in the Navy? Corpsmen, was it?

Mucho

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 05:35:21 PM »
I am approaching my Marine Corps weight which was so perfect I couldnt keep my hands off myself!

No surprise there. Thought you were in the Navy? Corpsmen, was it?

Yes- But I was assigned to the Marine Corps since Marines dont have anyone with enough intelligence to be Hospital Corpsmen. Notice I did not (and never would) say I was a Marine. They are horny killers, ya know.