Author Topic: What can Western democracies do?  (Read 2160 times)

The_Professor

What can Western democracies do?
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »
So, what can Western democracies do to increase the birth rate? Or, it is really an issue?

Survey: Japanese too stressed for sex
Bad news for the nation's plunging birth rate, expert says
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:14 p.m. ET March 15, 2007
TOKYO - The secret behind Japan's plunging birth rate? A record 39.7 percent of Japanese citizens ages 16-49 have not had sex for over a month —up 5 percentage points from two years ago — according to a survey published this week by the Japan Family Planning Association.

Among married couples, the rate was only slightly lower, at 34.6 percent.

"This is very bad news for the country's birth rate, and something the government needs to look into urgently," said Dr. Kunio Kitamura, the family planning association's director.

The survey comes amid concerns over Japan's faltering birthrate, which fell in 2005 to a record low of 1.26 births in an average woman's lifetime. The decline has stoked fears of impeding tax revenue shortfalls and labor shortages.

"The situation is dismal," Kitamura said. "My research shows that if you don't have sex for a month, you probably won't for a year."

Kitamura partly blamed stress from busy working lives.

A decline in physical communication skills in an increasingly Web-based society was also a factor, he said.

The association said it handed out survey forms to 2,713 randomly selected people, and received responses from 636 men and 773 women in November 2006. It gave no margin of error. In a similar poll taken two years ago, 35 percent reported having no sex for a month.

Japan came last in a 29-country study of sexual satisfaction published by the University of Chicago last year, with a mere 25.7 percent of lovers expressing satisfaction in bed.

The country was also in last place among 41 nations in a 2005 poll by condom manufacturer Durex, with people having sex just 45 times a year compared to a global average of 103.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17619467/

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What can Western democracies do?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:24:51 AM »

A record 39.7 percent of Japanese citizens ages 16-49 have not had sex for over a month —up 5 percentage points from two years ago — according to a survey published this week by the Japan Family Planning Association.

Well ,is this really bad news?

The_Professor

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
Well, what do YOU think?

Most guys would say "Heck yeah! A whole month!"

What, you don't find that interesting?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Well, what do YOU think?

Most guys would say "Heck yeah! A whole month!"

What, you don't find that interesting?

It has been noted that in countrys that educate their women more , the birthrate drops .

I suppose that literacy in women makes it easyer for them to practice birth controll, but this seems to indicate that they also get too busy.

The_Professor

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
So, when do the needs of the One supercede the needs of the Many(the Nation)?

Is this an example of people putting THEIR needs over that of their NATION?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »
So, when do the needs of the One supercede the needs of the Many(the Nation)?

Japan is not crouded enough?

The_Professor

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:29:58 PM »
I know it is crowded, but I seriously doubt that is the reason why Japanese are not replenishing themselves. Focusing on self is.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 01:38:18 AM »
I know it is crowded, but I seriously doubt that is the reason why Japanese are not replenishing themselves. Focusing on self is.

I doubt that , the Japanese have been killing themselves for the sake of national success.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »

So, what can Western democracies do to increase the birth rate? Or, it is really an issue?

Well, Western democracies should probably cons... G'HUH? Wha? Did you just...? Uh... Your questions imply that people have some sort of social duty to make babies for the "needs" of the nation. Do you actually believe that, or are you just trying to ask provocative questions?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »

Well, Western democracies should probably cons... G'HUH? Wha? Did you just...? Uh... Your questions imply that people have some sort of social duty to make babies for the "needs" of the nation. Do you actually believe that, or are you just trying to ask provocative questions?

It isn't a strange qestion for Japan , self sacrifice is considered diffrently there.

http://www.apmforum.com/columns/boye51.htm

Karoshi
(Kah-roe-she)

Japan's rise from the devastation of World War II to economic prominence between 1945 and 1975 was not without human cost. People cannot work for ten or twelve hours a day six and seven days a week, year after year, without suffering physically as well as mentally.

The_Professor

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »

The latter...just to stimulate discussion. Do you not find the question intriguing?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 11:20:11 PM »

Do you not find the question intriguing?

No.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--