Author Topic: Uh oh....NOT good. Bhutto Assasinated  (Read 22310 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uh oh....NOT good. Bhutto Assasinated
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2007, 07:33:49 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »
How does Musharraf gain by Bhutto's death?

I seriously don't think he gains at all by her death. Although we may never know the entire truth of what happened, everything indicates that this will hurt him terribly.

I don't know Henny, I'm not convinced that Musharraf's hands are clean in this thing. It just doesn't smell right and you know Pakistan's military has played a huge role in their political history. He may have shed the uniform, but he's still a military man.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2007, 04:39:22 AM »
I don't know Henny, I'm not convinced that Musharraf's hands are clean in this thing. It just doesn't smell right and you know Pakistan's military has played a huge role in their political history. He may have shed the uniform, but he's still a military man.

Yet, from everything I've been reading, this hurts him terribly.  The proposed power sharing would have been benificial to both, bring some stability to their country, and provide a more unified front against militant Islam, and the radical elements within their country.  It also would have made his position of power much more credible.  This tragedy undermines ALL of that.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »
...which was your original bogus charge.

Actually, sport, if you'll look back, my original charge was that the story coming out of Pakistan about how Bhutto died keeps changing. The mention of the changing tales of Bushco was incidental, yet like the true believer you are, you rushed right in and made that the focus of your campaign. Which, if convincing me was the aim, failed miserably.

Singlemindedness can be an asset when you are actually trying to accomplish something, but it can be a detriment when it blinds you to everything else.

I notice none of the militant groups has taken responsibility for the attack as they normally do when they can't wait for everyone to know they are able to carry out such attacks.

And this morning, the government has agreed to allow her body to be exhumed.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
I doubt that Bush and his honchos have any major role in this. It seems to be mostly a Paki problem. That makes it no less serious. Pakistan;s problem has always been that it has little or no control over Waziristan, the unorganized territories on the Afghani border. There is also the problem of the military having way too much control of the government, and the problem of anyone attempting to benefit the poor being accused of graft and corruption. There also seems to be a graft and corruption problem pervasive throughout Paki society.

I am all for the Pakis sorting out their own problems without any help from the US, which seems pretty clueless in such exotic places, anyway. But recognizing the problems helps understand them.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/pakistan.politics/index.html

Looks like they better get an armored car with no sun roof now!

What a state that country must be in......wow!

Interesting comment made to son by mother.

"My mother always said democracy is the best revenge."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2007, 02:10:32 PM »
...which was your original bogus charge.

Actually, sport, if you'll look back, my original charge was that the story coming out of Pakistan about how Bhutto died keeps changing. The mention of the changing tales of Bushco was incidental, yet like the true believer you are, you rushed right in and made that the focus of your campaign. Which, if convincing me was the aim, failed miserably.

Actually sport, you made a purposelful and obvious attempt to yet again lay claim to something that's been consistently demonstrated to be false....that of our supposed changing of stories to justify the war in Iraq.  Your efforts in now trying to deflect and distract from that original tangent is what's really failed, since the inception of that tangent of yours, not once were you making any effort to talk about the "changing stories in Pakistan", and have spent countless responses in trying to defend your indefensible position regarding the changing stories of Bush & Iraq.  In other words, you failed miserably

I notice none of the militant groups has taken responsibility for the attack as they normally do when they can't wait for everyone to know they are able to carry out such attacks.  And this morning, the government has agreed to allow her body to be exhumed.

Ahhhh, the FIRST effort at actually discussing Pakistan and their changing stories.  Excellent.  Now we might have some substantive dialog.  As I inquired earlier, I wonder if this was going to be another JFK, the way her body was quickly ushered away, minus any autopsy.  Glad to see that decision was reversed

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:41 PM »

Yet, from everything I've been reading, this hurts him terribly.  The proposed power sharing would have been benificial to both, bring some stability to their country, and provide a more unified front against militant Islam, and the radical elements within their country.  It also would have made his position of power much more credible.  This tragedy undermines ALL of that.

You're making some assumptions though (not unreasonable, but not necessarily factual either). Yes, power-sharing may have been the best solution for Musharraf, but that doesn't mean either he or the military sees it that way or desires it.

Military dictatorships and military leaders rarely agree to such things easily and without bloodshed.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »

I notice none of the militant groups has taken responsibility for the attack as they normally do when they can't wait for everyone to know they are able to carry out such attacks.

This seems signifigant , the Al Quiedaere also slow to claim credit for 9-11.
Could it be that they are not certain that this successfull mission will be beneficial to them?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
Pakistanis do not accept that Al Qaeda had anything to do with it.
They seems to hold Mussharif and the US to blame for it.

I don't think the US would hesitate to help in a useful assassination, but there is no reason why they would have a motive for killing Bhutto. She was on their side, after all. If this were not the case, she could have been offed by a stroke in Dubai or hewr plane could have fallen from the sky in a  CIA plot years ago with no repercussions.

Killing here in this way now would not suit their purpose and is not their style.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2007, 12:52:30 AM »
...the FIRST effort at actually discussing Pakistan and their changing stories.

No, actually I tried it once before, until some jackass sidetracked me. Keeps pitching some crap about how innocent the Bushies are, and all that rot.

I'm immune - I had my reality shots.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2007, 01:40:49 AM »
Killing here in this way now would not suit their purpose and is not their style.

How can you be sure?

Not that I'm a conspiracy buff, or advocating that there actually was any reason the US - or the CIA, in a rogue capacity - might want to bump off Ms Bhutto, but how can you be sure, at this point, that there wasn't some deep dark secret involved that gave the US, or some misguided uberpatriot, reason to wish her dead?

Let's get Brass all fired up and see what he can come up with...

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:41 AM »
...the FIRST effort at actually discussing Pakistan and their changing stories.

No, actually I tried it once before, until some jackass sidetracked me.

Ahh, now I'm responsible for your inability to stay on topic.  Cue the violin    ::)    

Keeps pitching some crap about how innocent the Bushies are, and all that rot.

Somehow you've confused me with Clinton Kool-aide drinkers, who can see no wrong in the messiah Clinton.  I, on the other hand, which can be validated by many here, have frequently criticized Bush on a horde of things, including their post-Saddam efforts.  Not that you're paying any attention.  But I can sure see how your dander gets ruffled, when of all people, sirs, is the one demonstrating your gross inaccuracies, regarding certain Bush bashing accusations.

And look at that.......nothing about Pakistan

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2007, 01:46:28 AM »

You're making some assumptions though (not unreasonable, but not necessarily factual either). Yes, power-sharing may have been the best solution for Musharraf, but that doesn't mean either he or the military sees it that way or desires it.

I'm simply referring to snippets I've read & heard, Js.  Not just some vague assumptive epiphany of mine.

Military dictatorships and military leaders rarely agree to such things easily and without bloodshed.

Yes, BUT, he had stepped down from his military position, and as I said, the impending election would have provided him credibility he never really had before.  That's gone now, and credibility in a leader, be it military or civilian is HUGE

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2007, 02:22:14 AM »
Somehow you've confused me with Clinton Kool-aide drinkers, who can see no wrong in the messiah Clinton. 

(whine)

I, on the other hand, which can be validated by many here, have frequently criticized Bush on a horde of things, including their post-Saddam efforts. 

And?

Not that you're paying any attention.

I've about given that up, considering your one track mind.

But I can sure see how your dander gets ruffled, when of all people, sirs..

Now that's a hoot. You're an annoyance, only mildly less irritating than some others I have come across in here. But you're moving up - looks like Rich quit.

...is the one demonstrating your gross inaccuracies

In your dreams.

And look at that.......nothing about Pakistan

I saved that for those who might actually want to discuss it, rather than head off on a rant about how Bushco did nothing wrong, blah blah blah...