Author Topic: Recession?  (Read 13203 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recession?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 10:01:24 PM »
Don't have a a van. Last year i put less than 3000 miles on the Toyota.

Yes. The first kit is free at city hall. The second on are available at cost. I started that program.

I telecommute.

Partially. One room at a time.

Meanwhile the thermostat is set to 52.

If you are going to talk the talk, at least walk the walk.

He didn't get it on with anyone.

He was trolling, same as all the breeders at a singles bar.

And I congratulate you on all your environmentally sound decisions and adjustments; however, I imagine that my wife, the childrens' service agent, might raise an eyebrow if I were to suggest that from now on the thermostat for our floor furnaces should always be set to 52.

While my decision to buy the van may appear to be a mistake in hindsight, at the time, it was the right decision for my needs.  Later this year, I intend to try and trade it in on a higher milage vehicle, preferably a hybrid.

Also, later this year, we are planning to apply for a home improvement loan.  I really want to add another floor to the house but more importantly, I'd like to make the house completely environmentally friendly.

I wonder if my utility has a similar low flow program.  Kudos on your decision to take the initiative to start the intern- low flow program.

I am working on suggesting that telecommunication would be the best bet for my company since all of us could do our jobs from home with the proper setup.

So, you are saying that I must be the purest of the pure to point out the vilest of the vile, then, is that right?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »
Somehow i get the impression that you weren't speaking to to vile of the vilest.

I think your barbs were aimed at anyone to the right of Domer.

Y'all better get with the program and come to Jesus and realize that Hummers should be burned like Beatles records in the '60's and the auto industry needs to be turning to making cars that run on compressed air or hydrogen TODAY and not in oh maybe hopefully 20 -30 years, we'll see.

It's time to collectively circle the economic wagons or the America you guys love so much will go the way of the dodo and the Mayans.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »
Somehow i get the impression that you weren't speaking to to vile of the vilest.

I think your barbs were aimed at anyone to the right of Domer.

And?

It seems to me that you guys (those to the right of Domer) tend get all defensive is someone suggests that maybe in a country where we don't really have that much domestic oil and the people who have the most oil (like the Saudis and Iraqis) tend not to like us very much, it might be not so much a great idea to have vehicles on the road that use an inordinate amount of gas.

You guys seem to get your panties in a twist when someone even slightly mentions that there are connections between those in our current government and those who have the most oil and sell the oil and gas here in the US.

Your hypocrisy is tangible in that you think that there might be a problem there but no one should suggest that we RAISE FUEL STANDARDS or we BAN VEHICLES THAT USE TOO MUCH GAS.

It seems the only time Americans' interest should be in collective thought is when you guys want to go take over some country or your "president" is being blamed for all our troubles as a nation.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »
I think if you took a survey of those of us to the right of Domer you would find the majority of us think it is high time we looked at all the options on the table as far as development of alternative energy.

We may disagree with how this should be done, the level of govt funding etc. but it is a high priority for most of us.

Far as i know, none of us drive hummers.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
I think if you took a survey of those of us to the right of Domer you would find the majority of us think it is high time we looked at all the options on the table as far as development of alternative energy.  We may disagree with how this should be done, the level of govt funding etc. but it is a high priority for most of us.

I'll 2nd that.  And "all" includes our own oil vs importing foreign sources
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »
A Hummer is a man's car. It is supposed to be ugly. Essentially it is testosterone with 4 wheel drive, or 2 wheel drive pretending to be 4WD.

So, XO, what hidden meaning do you find in my vehicle?

I have the Ford Five Hundred with AWD.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »
I once heard a comic monologe in which was pointed out that "Electra" was a pretty good name for a car , but the caricter Electra (the daughter of Odepus) was devoted to vengance ,and he suggested that "Vengance" would be an even better name for a car. He then suggested that the seven deadly sins would each make a good name for a car , except for "Sloth", which might not sell.

=========================================
There was a Buick Electra for a while. Now Buick has given up on its old model names from long ago, like Century, Special and Roadmaster and the newer ones, like LeSabre and Regal. At one point market research revealed that the average age of a new Buick Park Avenue was 88. Not much chance of selling him another car.

Oedipus is not a good name for a car, though: it means "swollen foot".

Drive the New Chrysler Envy! The all-new Plymouth Greed! The Improved Subaru Ire! The Amazing Honda Lust! The Spectacular Cadillac Gluttony! The Exciting Nissan Avarice! The incredible Ford Pride!

The Advanced Mercury Sloth doesn't work, but if we use the Latin name, it is best of all: Drive the all-new Hyundai Acedia!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 02:50:55 PM »
So, XO, what hidden meaning do you find in my vehicle?

I have the Ford Five Hundred with AWD.
==============================================
The term "Five Hundred" I suppose comes from the Forbes Five Hundred (a list of the richest 500 people in the world) or possibly the 500 finest families in NYC, according to the social register, which would filter out rich riffraff such as Mafiosi and booze merchants.

The AWD no doubt comes in useful in the snow. I hear it is a pretty good car, a LOT better than the antediluvian Crown Victoria so much favored by law enforcement and cabbies, but it didn't sell, and has been rebranded as something else. I think it is now called a 'Taurus'.
I think Henry Ford may have been a Taurus, or maybe Edsel or Henry the Deuce.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
A Hummer is a man's car. It is supposed to be ugly. Essentially it is testosterone with 4 wheel drive, or 2 wheel drive pretending to be 4WD.

So, XO, what hidden meaning do you find in my vehicle?  I have the Ford Five Hundred with AWD.

I drive a Buick Regal myself.  What Fascist, anti-enviroment, pro-pollution, proclaimation does sirs present with such a travesty of a vehicle?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:03:46 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »
So, XO, what hidden meaning do you find in my vehicle?  I have the Ford Five Hundred with AWD.

I drive a Buick Regal myself.  What Fascist proclaimation does sirs present with such a travesty of a vehicle?

===================================================
Well, one would assume a yearning to present a royal image.

I sure hope it's better than the 1982 Regal four door I had. It had a large (3.7 litre) buy truly puny engine that could not maintain a constant 60 mph on the I-75 hills coming into Atlanta from the Soth and the puniest brakes that I have ever had on a car, including three Renaults (a Dauphine, an R-10 and an R-16) a Studebaker and a Hudson with twin H-power. One was never sure one would stop in time. The interior plastic was five shades of blues and greens, ranging from baby blue to stale peasoup green, much of it some form of self-destructive plastic that flaked into bilious green dandruff when scraped. It blew a headgasket at 61,000 and the dash caught fire and burned, ending its career at only 81,000. I bought it used for $850 and spent over $1200 on it in the two years I drove it. The rear windows could not be rolled down, instead, there were electric wind wings. One was broken in an incompetent attempt to steal the fool thing.

Unfortunately, it did not last long enough for the only purpose it was well suited for: Roger Smith's tombstone.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »

I doubt none of you would turn one down if given one.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »

I would......in a hearbeat.  It's functionally a terrible vehicle to get in and out of, not to mention the parking logistics, when driving out and about.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
I drive a Buick Regal myself.  What Fascist proclaimation does sirs present with such a travesty of a vehicle?

===================================================
Well, one would assume a yearning to present a royal image.

LOL......kinda the response I figured I'd get.  That explains why I haven't had that dent fixed in 4years now.  Thanks Xo

yellow_crane

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »

I would......in a hearbeat.  It's functionally a terrible vehicle to get in and out of, not to mention the parking logistics, when driving out and about.

Good to see you can bypass considering one for its chest-beating merits.

I never fail to finger one every time I pass.

I am not afraid of retaliation; people who drape themselves so resplendently with butch buttons to project such bully bravado on the outside rarely have much sand on the inside.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 04:44:49 PM »
I never fail to finger one every time I pass.  I am not afraid of retaliation; people who drape themselves so resplendently with butch buttons to project such bully bravado on the outside rarely have much sand on the inside.

I bet that was Crane that walked by this golf course I was playing on, up in Carmel a few years ago, yelling profanities at me, for playing on such an apparent perversion to the enviroment     ;)