Author Topic: This doesn't come up often in Tenn. Penn  (Read 431 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This doesn't come up often in Tenn. Penn
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:58:03 AM »
http://www.windstream.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9O0HEJG0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1016

"She negated the whole First Amendment," Jillette said in a tweet Sunday night. "Glad to help her lose."

He further said that Durham was fine in expressing disdain for religious burnings but shouldn't have advocated taking away freedoms.

With four competitors left gunning for the crown, Durham was asked a question posed by celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito about whether burning religious books, including the Muslim holy book, should be afforded the same constitutional protections as flag burning. She struggled in her response, but said it crossed a line and shouldn't be allowed.

"I know that some people view it as a freedom of speech, however, burning the American flag is not patriotic at all," Durham said. "No American citizen should do that, and you should also respect other religions. I'm a Christian and a faithful person. I would personally not appreciate someone burning the Bible, and that's just a line you do not cross."

Durham fired back at Jillette in a statement issued Tuesday through state pageant officials, saying she's disappointed with Jillette's reaction. She said it's uncalled for that he would delight in shooting down her dreams.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: This doesn't come up often in Tenn. Penn
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
There are a lot of illogical things going on here here.

It is not a violation of the Constitution to say that the flag (or Korans or Bibles) should not be burned. It would be to say that it should be made illegal. There is a difference what SHOULD be done and what is unconstitutional. I disagreee that this has anything to do with the First Amendment.

I do not think that the Christian religion has anything to do at all with loyalty to the flag.  One can be a good Christian without being a good American citizen. Jesus mentioned the necessity of paying taxes in the form of Caesar's coinage to the Roman government of practical necessity. Note that Jesus could have acknowledged the divinity that the Roman Emperor claimed for himself, but declined. It is safe to say, I believe, that Jesus was NOT a good subject of the Roman Empire. He was not a citizen, of course, but a vassal, with no rights at all, so who can blame him?

I do not see any reason why Penn Jillette is particular qualified to be a beauty contest judge. I am betting that after this, he will not be renamed. Pretty much all of his qualifications are in being a celebrity. Might as well replace him with Trump, Tyra banks, Paris Hilton or Charmin tissue's Mr. Whipple.

What on Earth does approval or disapproval of burning Korans have to do with being beautiful?

Jillette is very entertaining as an entertainer. As a judge, not so entertaining.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."