Author Topic: Iran's Response -  (Read 6616 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Iran's Response -
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 11:37:58 AM »
<<Yes, that road out of Kuwait was a beautiful example of an organized retreat.  So were the thousands of white-flagged waving surrendering conscripts. >>

Like it or not, Pooch, that's what an organized retreat looks like in real life and by Middle Eastern standards of organization.  Dunquerque  wasn't much better.  At the end of the day what counts is whether or not the mission was accomplished.  The main force did pull out of Kuwait and back into Iraq as ordered.   In this case, BTW,  the chaos was compounded when the Americans (once again!) covered themselves with glory by shooting up a retreating column that pointed its guns away from them.

<<No, [no, we didn't "break anyone's back"]  since you claim that the insurgency is all just dispersed elements of the Iraqi army. >>

No, it's a combination of dispersed army and popular resistance forces, at least some of whom seem to be following army planning for guerrilla warfare using caches of weapons and ammo deployed by the army for just such purposes.  The point being the utter silliness of your attempting to isolate the various components of Iraqi resistance to your invasion, so that you can claim a partial victory when in fact you are fighting a losing battle overall.  "We beat the army now we have to beat the insurgents."  Bullshit.  You invaded Iraq with the intention of conquering and (through a puppet government) ruling it.  You haven't conquered it and you can't rule it.  And never will. 

<< Of course, Canada has never actually defeated the Original Inhabitants since there are still Indian warriors fighting against Canadian incursions on their soil.  Thank goodness for that, 'cuz from everything I've seen the Indians appeared to have pretty much been whipped.>>

The Indians HAVE been whipped.  I'm certainly not proud of it and it's a very sordid part of Canadian and American history, but there it is.  The situation in Iraq is nothing like the situation here.  The Iraqis have not been whipped.  As for the Iranians - - I would love to see the U.S. try to invade them, for reasons I've already stated.  They just aren't that crazy.  Their pattern is to attack the weak and the obvious pushover, then when the victim fights back, they get scared and seem - - temporarily at least - - to have learned a lesson, until years go by and their natural stupidity reasserts itself, and they pick another underestimated victim and get their ass kicked yet again. 

In terms of the classic cycle, Iran is too close to Iraq for them to get feisty with.  Time has to pass, and myths similar to the Vietnam/Weimar Republic myth need time to develop.  "Our glorious and invincible army of heroes was not beaten by Vietnamese/Iraqi/Taliban forces, we were WINNING the war but then we were stabbed in the back by traitorous journalists and Amerikkka-hating politicians [i.e., Democrats] and the American people were tricked into letting down our fighting men."  Then they pick another intended victim and THIS TIME it's gonna be different because of better communication strategies with the media, it will be impossible for the media to spread their dishonest and defeatist lies and the whole miserable circus starts up all over again.  Until one day the peoples of the world will come to the realization that something really does have to be done about the U.S.A.

<<This is an example of mature debate?  As it happens, I'm a soldier talking about military history and doctrine.  You are trying to support a position of bigotry and turning to middle school tactics to do so.  I suppose a rational analysis is overly technical when compared to BWAHAHAHAHA or name calling, but I'll take the chance.>>

I get it, when you run out of substantive arguments, begin attacking your opponent's style.  Oh well, let me know if you are able to develop any rational response to to the point I was making (that your efforts are a failure because the objective was not achieved) and respond or not to the BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA as you see fit.  It's actually just a very graphic way of saying, "What you just said was literally ridiculous," which is IMHO quite within the acceptable limits of debate.  I just shortened it up a bit - - seems to be the Internet way.

<<I haven't lost anything.  My response to this thread was to give a REALISTIC assessment of the risks of a US invasion of Iran.  The Iranian military threat is minimal.  The political threat is real and far greater.  >>

Frankly I'm interested in overall results.  Bottom lines.  If I ask you, is it safe to swim here, it's  not reassuring to hear that the pirahhas are few and far between but the alligators will probably have my ass for breakfast.  Bottom line is that swimming is strongly discouraged.   Whether it's the Iranian military, the popular resistance or a mixture of both, the essential point I was making is that you will not succeed any better in Iran than you have in Iraq, and the drubbing that you will received will be many times worse than Iraq.

<<Your wild-eyed ranting about the US getting it's "ass kicked" and having the world "laugh at them" is just so much sibling rivalry.  We're used to it from you.  But it doesn't substitute for substantive debate.>>

Substantive debate?  I just told you my predicted result of any invasion of Iran, and it's not "substantive" debate because of my language and style???  Do you even know the meaning of "substantive" as in "substantive debate?"

<<That's pretty much what roaches do.  You have to kill a lot of them and then they go crawl into holes.  After a while they start to show up again and you have to kill some more. >>

Oh, I get it.  They're just roaches.  Like the British 7th Armoured were just "desert rats."  When they crawl out of their holes, you just kill them.  No problemo.  You Americans are getting more and more like the Nazis all the time.  You talk a great fight.  You have "the mightiest army on the face of the earth"  (if you say so yourselves) which for some mysterious reason never seems able to accomplish its objective.   When faced with a determined group of enemies whose courage and initiative dwarfs your own, think up an animal metaphor (hint:  repulsive vermin works) and tell the world you're gonna squash them like a bug.  Works every time.  Not.

<<The Chinese whipped us so badly that we are still there half a century later. >>

Last time I checked, the area from the Yalu River to just north of the 38th Parallel was completely free of U.S. soldiers.  By some extraordinary coincidence, that is exactly the route of the American military retreat from the PLA.  Yet you claim "we are still there half a century later."  What am I missing?

<< The section of the peninsula we control is a functional, viable nation.  The section the Chinese control is a "workers paradise" of economic insignificance.   With more "ass-whippings" like that, we might just take over the world after all.>>

Nice rationalization.  Almost like plane's rationalization of Viet Nam.  A little off topic though.  We were discussing, not the economic abilities of the South Koreans, but the military prowess of the U.S.A. and its supposedly invincible status, which China (which whipped your ass in the 1950s) is supposedly "working on."  Adhering strictly to the issue of military invincibility, your factual recall seems to have missed the fact that the PLA drove your forces (including the USMC) from the Yalu River to the 38th Parallel.  That sure as hell looks like an ass-whipping to me.  (Although, admittedly, not to the USMC, which famously claimed "Retreat, hell!  We're just advancing in a different direction.")

<<People's war.  There ya go.   You have a world view that is interesting to watch. >>

It's the war of the Iraqi people.  Teenagers, old men, youths, mothers - - they plant roadside bombs, act as lookouts and spies, coordinate attacks on the invaders, fire grenade launchers, hide weapons and ammo, care for the wounded and bury the dead.  What would you call it, if not people's war?

<<The religious enmity between the Shi'ites in Iraq and the Sunni's in Iraq is different from the general interfactional rivalry.  The Ba'athists persecuted, indeed slaughtered the Shi'ites during their decades in power.  When the Ba'athists were toppled the Shi'ites wanted the Sunnis dead and the Sunnis wanted to retain their power over the Shi'ites. >>

There was a lot of persecution of Shi'ites suspected of affiliation with the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq and even  of those who merely had Iranian ancestry.  This took in a lot of prominent Iraqi Shi'ites, who suffered horrible torture, murder or simple disappearances.  Even mothers who merely protested the fate of their children were targeted for torture, rape and murder.  Since the Ba'ath Party was resolutely secular, the persecution was of perceived or potential political opponents.  I think on reflection, you're probably right in assessing the Ba'ath Party's role under Saddam in creating or exacerbating Shi'ite hatred of Sunnis along religious lines.  It was inevitable, given the close identity of the victims with the Shi'ite religion.  It was definitely a perversion of Ba'ath Party ideals, but the persons responsible were in fact the Ba'ath Party leadership in Iraq, so the result is the Ba'ath Party's responsibility.

Cynthia

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »
"Ooh, that pun sucked :-D"

:0)-----------

Cynthia

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 01:37:53 PM »
?Israel is hardly of any influence whatever in spreading or maintaining democracy in the Middle East. The example would be Turkey. Israel is not a democracy when it comes to the West Bank or Gaza. On the contrary, it has been a brutal oppressor, bulldozing houses and torturing Palestinians for 40 years.?

I don?t think Israel needs to stay alive to ?spread democracy?. We need to support Israel as a democratic nation with  the freedom of religion including Christians, Jews AND Moslem within.
The alternative (a growing desire to spread an ugly Islamic fanaticism) would translate into more of a threat to others worldwide than there is now. An unbalanced globe.

?Israel has not been beneficial to democracy in the USA, either: they bribe and lobby our elected representatives into approving and paying for everything they do.?

Come on Xavier, can you possibly hold water in that thought for ALL JEWS? In my assessment of that statement you would be a racist. That sort of thinking is simple minded, and you are too intelligent for that.

?There will always be Jews, there will not always be an Israel. Eventually they will be outnumbered, even in Israel, and unless they are extremely clever, the "democracy" which combines first class citizens (Jews) and second-class citizens (everyone else) will be a thing of the past. This is what Ahmedinejad says, only the US and Israell have mistranslated him.?

Oh really? I just witnessed on the news from Tehran, the burning of the American and Israeli flags, not to mention shooting violently at the poor little pieces of colorful fabric. How much more hate can a nation hold (Ahmedinejad)? And you say that we mistranslate??

?The idea of combining religion and government was invented in Egypt and is the singularly most poisonous idea mankind has ever thought up.?

Religion and government. Government is supposed to be there FOR THE PEOPLE. The people have a human factor called freedom to think, speak and believe. It should be the reverse. Governments should honor everything about the human being, and be a side bar to the most important elements of our species.

?Peace is not the result of war and occupation. War rarely solves anything.?

I agree, and that?s why I disagree with Bush. He was wrong to go into Iraq, in my opinion. I know that isn?t a popular stance, but I do think he and his ?team? did not truly think long and hard about the consequences. I knew from listening to those who are Iranian and Iraqi in my own group of friends, that there would be a sort of civil war within. Bush was celebrating the war?s end before the first firestorm. I am sad about that. He wasn?t informed. Now that we are there, however, I am supportive of the push to help those in the country of Iraq establish better schools, life for women etc. I know that seems unreasonable, and na?ve, but I want to see such results. Who wouldn?t?  In the long haul that will translate into more unrest, death and destruction, but where else can we go? Retreat now? No. Caught, we are. Pearl Harbor for the people of Iraq. Do we really want to see that? I wish we had an out. Do you have one that will safely secure your own lifestyle, XO? What would you do about the situation NOW in Iraq? Just curious.

?The threat posed by terrorism is far, far less than the exaggerated threat of the USSR. Each and every year, we lose more people to common traffic accidents than to terrorists. We have also lost more Americans to the exceedingly stupid Iraq War, and remember the casualty figure does not included the maimed and mentally damaged.?

Yes, but car accidents don?t take out 3000+ people in one morning. War is not for the innocent. Soldiers must fight. We are a civilization without civility. This is historical and factual.
Civilians will die, as we all must die but T-threat is sneaky and deadly calculated It smells of evil.  How can we sit back and compare the death by car accident to the bloody kill the likes of Pearl Harbor, Twin Towers?

It is in the interests of the oligarchy that actually runs the US that the population cringe in perpetual fear: being scared makes Americans go out and buy stuff to feel secure. Costa Rica is a democracy. Finland is a democracy. What we have in the US is less like a democracy every day.

You?re right. I love to shop!

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »
The Indians HAVE been whipped. 

Then why are they still fighting?  My point is, there are insurgencies all over the world, whether (as in the case of Canada) isolated incidents or (as in the case of Iraq) large-scale resistance.  You might as well say that Northern Ireland was never whipped by England.  In fact, the US has a much more terrible problem on their hands, since the Seminole Indians never surrendered in Florida.   The Taliban regime in Afghanistan was toppled.  The Ba'athist regime in Iraq was toppled.  Nobody with any sense is saying otherwise.  You are saying otherwise.  Draw your own conclusion.

I get it, when you run out of substantive arguments, begin attacking your opponent's style.  Oh well, let me know if you are able to develop any rational response to to the point I was making (that your efforts are a failure because the objective was not achieved) and respond or not to the BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA as you see fit.  It's actually just a very graphic way of saying, "What you just said was literally ridiculous," which is IMHO quite within the acceptable limits of debate.  I just shortened it up a bit - - seems to be the Internet way.

No, I haven't run out of substantive argument.  You have run out of rational thought and have replaced it with childish gibberish.  You are correct in stating that I cannot come up with a substantive argument to counter BWAHAHAHAHAHA because it does not warrant substantive response.  You accuse me, perhaps appropriately, of an ad hominem attack.  But given that your responses (which you characterize as substantive) involve constant use of foul language, ridiculous hyperbole and BWAHAHAHAHAHA I think the point is warranted.  Where you have presented rational argument i have responded rationally.  The fact that you cannot be convinced is simply the nature of debate.  You continue to reject my POV (perfectly acceptable), mischaracterize or misinterpret my responses (which is either deficient comprehension or deliberate misrepresentation) and exceed the bounds of civil debate by cussing, being sarcastic and going a bit crazy (BWAHAHAHAHA) - not to mention the constant barrage of bigotry aimed at Americans in general and American soldiers in particular.  These are not the actions of a civil person, though I recognize that among the many differences of mindset we have your definition of civility is far different from mine.  

Frankly I'm interested in overall results.  Bottom lines.  If I ask you, is it safe to swim here, it's  not reassuring to hear that the pirahhas are few and far between but the alligators will probably have my ass for breakfast.  Bottom line is that swimming is strongly discouraged.   Whether it's the Iranian military, the popular resistance or a mixture of both, the essential point I was making is that you will not succeed any better in Iran than you have in Iraq, and the drubbing that you will received will be many times worse than Iraq.

That's fine, but then we are having two different arguments, and that is one of our problems.  You presented a set of arguments about the military situation in Iran (from the POV of one of your acquaintances, IIRC) and I refuted those military points.  I stated from the beginning that the populace of Iran and the political situation in Iran (along with the geopolitics involved) were strong deterrents to a military solution on our part.  The only area in which we have thus far disagreed is the military situation, which I submit you know little about.  I also disagree with some of your analysis of the political situation and your views of the history and dynamics of the middle eastern picture.  I ignore your anti-American rants because they have neither substance nor credibility, but in the end I have said since Desert Storm that invading Iran was a bad idea.  I must admit that picture is changing the closer they get to nuclear ability and the stronger the hardliners get a grip on the country.  

Oh, I get it.  They're just roaches. 

This is a favorite liberal trick.  I used a metaphor, to which you had no objections over several posts.  Then, when I called you for interpreting my response inaccurately, you decided to become morally outraged at the characterization of the Taliban as roaches.  That characterization, of course, was never made - and you never objected to the metaphor until now.  FTR, I have no problem with killing Taliban soldiers or Al Quaeda terrorists.  They are not roaches.  They are human beings who want to kill me and enslave their own people.  I don't really have a problem killing those kinds of human beings.  

Last time I checked, the area from the Yalu River to just north of the 38th Parallel was completely free of U.S. soldiers.  By some extraordinary coincidence, that is exactly the route of the American military retreat from the PLA.  Yet you claim "we are still there half a century later."  What am I missing?

A cranial X-ray might answer that question (couldn't resist). :D  But since the North Koreans claim South Korea is their territory can you explain why they haven't taken it back in 50 years?  

There was a lot of persecution of Shi'ites suspected of affiliation with the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq and even  of those who merely had Iranian ancestry.  This took in a lot of prominent Iraqi Shi'ites, who suffered horrible torture, murder or simple disappearances.  Even mothers who merely protested the fate of their children were targeted for torture, rape and murder.  Since the Ba'ath Party was resolutely secular, the persecution was of perceived or potential political opponents.  I think on reflection, you're probably right in assessing the Ba'ath Party's role under Saddam in creating or exacerbating Shi'ite hatred of Sunnis along religious lines.  It was inevitable, given the close identity of the victims with the Shi'ite religion.  It was definitely a perversion of Ba'ath Party ideals, but the persons responsible were in fact the Ba'ath Party leadership in Iraq, so the result is the Ba'ath Party's responsibility.

Ba'ath party ideals may be inferred from the actions of the party leadership when in power.  You can, of course, make the same claim about American ideals - or more specifically, Republilcan or Democratic ideals.  But again, this is a side point.  The fact is, and I believe we agree on the point, the situation in Iran is far from the pre-invasion situation in Iraq.  
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »
Dunquerque  wasn't much better.

Dunkirk wasn't an organized retreat, it was an evacuation resulting from a total rout of the British and French forces. As Churchill said, "we must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations."

Also, don't point to the Dunkirk evacuations as an "organized retreat" within earshot of any Frenchman. They're still a bit pissed that the British pretty much only evacuated British soldiers, leaving most of the French behind to suffer at the hands of the German Wehrmacht.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 01:44:01 PM »
Yes, but car accidents don?t take out 3000+ people in one morning.

At the risk of being outnumbered here with statistics, ha! I meant to add to this statement......"in one morning, IN ONE CENTRAL LOCATION."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 02:13:05 PM »
<<Dunkirk wasn't an organized retreat, it was an evacuation resulting from a total rout of the British and French forces.>>

It was organized to the extent that the British organized a fleet on fairly short notice to take the soldiers off the beaches and the RAF provided fairly good cover.  There was also a rearguard action (in which my late next-door neighbour took part) which held off the advancing Germans and prevented a total disaster.

<< As Churchill said, "we must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations.">>

THAT'S for God-damn sure.  As always, Churchill nailed it eloquently and concisely with a few very well-chosen words.  Whatever you want to call it, retreat or evacuation, it was a more or less organized, orderly procedure that went according to plan and under legitimate military orders.  As did the retreat of the Iraqi army from Kuwait.  Both manoeuvres subject to disturbances and unforeseen events that in any war will prevent any large-scale manoeuvre from proceeding like clockwork.

<<Also, don't point to the Dunkirk evacuations as an "organized retreat" within earshot of any Frenchman. They're still a bit pissed that the British pretty much only evacuated British soldiers, leaving most of the French behind to suffer at the hands of the German Wehrmacht.>>

Well, other options were open to the French army, but their leaders (civil and military) chose the course they chose.  The number of French troops lifted off the beach at Dunquerque would have depended on the number of them sent to the beach by their commanders.  Presumably they were still under the command of the French General Staff at the time.  Some French were taken off, and I'm not aware of any that were refused boarding, so I'm reasonably certain that no French soldiers were deliberately left on the beach by the British.  I don't know if the English would have taken off any French soldiers who didn't have orders to leave.

I think actually if anyone was pissed and had a right to be pissed, it was the British.  They go over there to help out an ally and the ally folds up like a house of cards and almost costs them their entire British Expeditionary Force.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 02:23:45 PM »
Some French were taken off, and I'm not aware of any that were refused boarding, so I'm reasonably certain that no French soldiers were deliberately left on the beach by the British.

Then perhaps you should read up more on the subject.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 03:18:18 PM »
<<Then why are they [Canadian Indians] still fighting?  >>

THAT'S fighting?  Let's keep this argument in the real world, OK?

<<My point is, there are insurgencies all over the world, whether (as in the case of Canada) isolated incidents or (as in the case of Iraq) large-scale resistance.  You might as well say that Northern Ireland was never whipped by England.  In fact, the US has a much more terrible problem on their hands, since the Seminole Indians never surrendered in Florida. >>

Indian resistance in Canada, Catholic resistance in Northern Ireland and Seminole Resistance in Florida all together don't add up to a tiny fraction of the daily violence in Iraq.  Iraq is an unconquered country.  The other examples are clear-cut instances of GAME OVER, YOU LOSE.  What's left are more or less peaceful negotiations with the victors, depending (probably foolishly) on the victor's largely non-existent magnanimity.

<<  The Taliban regime in Afghanistan was toppled.  The Ba'athist regime in Iraq was toppled.  Nobody with any sense is saying otherwise.  You are saying otherwise.  Draw your own conclusion.>>

My conclusion is that wars are fought nation-to-nation, not nation-to-regime.  My conclusion is that you are incapable of making the distinction.  For some reason you want to consider a victory over the regime as a victory over the nation, probably because you know you will never be able to claim the latter.  What's particularly ludicrous is that when the nation finally ends up victorious and expels or kills the invaders and all their collaborators, the regime that you now claim was "toppled" may very well be reinstalled.

<<No, I haven't run out of substantive argument. >>

Of course you have.  You deliberately chose to ignore the argument that the U.S.A. failed in Iraq by failing to achieve its objectives and focused instead on the tone of the argument, the BWAHAHAHAHA in particular.  A matter of no substance whatever.

<< You have run out of rational thought and have replaced it with childish gibberish. >>

Bullshit.  Again you are pulling your old trick of ignoring the substance and focusing on the style, then blithely asserting that (presumably because you failed to address it) the substance was lacking from the outset.  Fooling no one, I might add.

<< You are correct in stating that I cannot come up with a substantive argument to counter BWAHAHAHAHAHA because it does not warrant substantive response.  >>

More bullshit.  Of course I did not accuse you of ignoring BWAHAHAHAHAHA, but of ignoring the substantive argument that immediately preceded it.  Here are the exact words of the "accusation" since your memory does not seem adequate to the occasion:  <<Oh well, let me know if you are able to develop any rational response to to the point I was making (that your efforts are a failure because the objective was not achieved) and respond or not to the BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA as you see fit. >>

<<You accuse me, perhaps appropriately, of an ad hominem attack. >>

Not even.  I accuse you of ignoring substance to focus on style.  As superbly illustrated in the following quote from your post:

<<But given that your responses (which you characterize as substantive) involve constant use of foul language, ridiculous hyperbole and BWAHAHAHAHAHA I think the point is warranted.  >>

<<Where you have presented rational argument i have responded rationally. >>

Yes, there are some rational responses in your post.  I never claimed it was totally devoid of any rational response.

<<You continue to reject my POV (perfectly acceptable), mischaracterize or misinterpret my responses . . . >>

Oh, PLEASE show me one instance in which I "mischaracterized or misinterpreted" any of your responses.

<< . . .  and exceed the bounds of civil debate by cussing . . .>>

Guilty My Lord as charged

<< . . .  being sarcastic . . . >>

moi??

<< . . . and going a bit crazy (BWAHAHAHAHA) >>

Oh for God's sake. 

How about ROTFL?  Is ROTFL OK?  How about ROTFLMFAO?  Is that sane enough for you?

<<not to mention the constant barrage of bigotry aimed at Americans in general . . . >>

ooops! sorry, boss.  I did tend to go a bit overboard there.

<< . . . and American soldiers in particular.>>

Geeze, I'll try to watch myself in the future.  What's a nice way to say "fucking war criminals?"

<<These are not the actions of a civil person, though I recognize that among the many differences of mindset we have your definition of civility is far different from mine.  >>

Truer words were never spoken.  These debates are a little rougher than the ones I normally engage in, but there's an anonymity here which is liberating in the sense that the normal civilities of daily life exercised between people who know one another are dispensed with, but I think a more honest exchange results.  For example, there is an emotional component here - - anger, which IMHO is fully justified by the scope of the atrocities, killings, suffering and misery unleashed by one powerful and wealthy country for absolutely no good reason on a tiny country not even one-tenth its size which has the God-awful misfortune to rest upon the world's second biggest proven oil reserves.  I hope if you get even a tiny smidgen of the anger that I and millions of others feel at the depredations of American power all over the world, the lawlessness, the defiance of established international order, the contempt for the UN's efforts to build a system of international justice, then you will have learned much more from the debate here than if you had read a dozen closely reasoned, politely worded essays about the topic.  You'd do a lot better to focus on what's behind the cuss words, the sarcasm, etc. and pick up on the underlying emotions.  And ask yourself, if this is coming from a bystander, a guy who basically doesn't give a shit, has no relatives or family on the receiving end of the shit-storm, what kind of anger is coming at us from people whose country has been invaded, whose kids have been blown to bits, or who hear about this every fucking day in their mosque in Jakarta or Tirana or Istanbul or even Los Angeles?

<<This is a favorite liberal trick.  I used a metaphor, to which you had no objections over several posts.  Then, when I called you for interpreting my response inaccurately, you decided to become morally outraged at the characterization of the Taliban as roaches. >>

Wow, talk about misrepresenting responses.  I defy you to find one word of moral outrage in what I wrote.  I was laughing at you for being as stupid as the Nazis and in exactly the same way - - feeling that you had solved the problem represented by a deadly and determined enemy by laughing them off as vermin, with a pejorative name to go with.  It's a common failing of authoritarian militaristic personalities that cannot accept the equality of their opponent.  Psychologically, the opponent must be dehumanized and belittled, calling them "roaches" or "desert rats" is the tell-tale sign of the mindset.

<<That characterization, of course, was never made - and you never objected to the metaphor until now.  >>

The reason being, the metaphor was immaterial to the argument until now.  At this point, you failed to deal with my argument that you did NOT have the situation on the ground in Afghanistan under control or that you had not "toppled" the now-resurgent Taliban.  You pointed to the "disarray" of the Taliban as proof that you did, and when I attempted to show that the disarray you were citing actually signified nothing more than a wise choice of tactics, you then chose, not to acnowledge or counter the point, but to compare the tactics to vermin and predict that, just as vermin would be exterminated despite the tactic, so too was the Taliban.  Your argument was just as foolish as Rommel's and your belief in ultimate victory over those whom you chose to characterize as "cockroaches" was bound to follow the fate of your fellow fascist's prediction of victory over the "desert rats."  That is why at this point in the thread, I chose to call attention to the cockroach metaphor - - just to show similar thinking on the part of the Nazi general, equally deluded, equally misguided, equally doomed to failure.

<<They are human beings who want to kill me and enslave their own people. >>

That's total bullshit.  They want you out of their face and off their land, but they don't want to kill you unless you don't want to stop interfering in their affairs and occupying their lands.  As far as enslaving their own people, that's a huge laugh.  You could not be more hypocritical if you tried.  It is Amerikkka that enslaves those people through corrupt puppet governments all over the Middle East and also through supporting the Israeli occupation of the West Bank.  At best you are rival slave-masters to the Taliban and the Iraqi Resistance, but in fact these people want an Islamic Republic or a Caliphate which leaves them more freedom than they presently have and in addition leaves them as sole owners of their own oil. 

<< I don't really have a problem killing those kinds of human beings.>>

Tell us about it.  And yet you wonder why they have no problem killing your kind of human being.  Unbelievable. 

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
<<Then perhaps you should read up more on the subject.>.

There are plenty of subjects I should read up more on.  If you have any specific facts to contradict what I said about no French soldiers being turned back from the boats, or speculating that few French soldiers had orders to report to the beaches for evacuation, let's hear what you have.  Otherwise, your post is just pointless and childish.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 04:16:34 PM »
My conclusion is that wars are fought nation-to-nation, not nation-to-regime.  My conclusion is that you are incapable of making the distinction.  For some reason you want to consider a victory over the regime as a victory over the nation, probably because you know you will never be able to claim the latter.  What's particularly ludicrous is that when the nation finally ends up victorious and expels or kills the invaders and all their collaborators, the regime that you now claim was "toppled" may very well be reinstalled.

As clearly stated in the very beginning , produceing a conqured Iraq was never the Aim of the USA or President Bush.

You are right that we will not produce a groveling conquered slave state , mostly because we aim not to , I do expect you to call our succes in that endevor a failure to accomplish our "real " aim , takeing lots of oil without paying for it, but what we have paid so far would pay for several years supply of oil and no one expects to recoup.

Most illogical of all is the assertion that the people who are wrecking roads , power plants , pipelines , hospitals , police stations , markets , Mosques and all sorts of other infrastructure as fast as they can be repaired are trying to do something good for the people of Iraq. Most of the Insurgents victims are the bystanding Iriquis . More and more the common Iriqui is looseing patience with the Al Queda and the itenerant insurgent .

We really only need one freind in every fifty Iriquis to drop a dime on the insurgents as they are seen , this seems to be happening.

I don't think that our victory is assured in Iraq , but I expect our loss will be the worst possible outcome for the Iriquis who will have to fight it out for a while to determine which insurgent group will take Saddams place.

"... the regime that you now claim was "toppled" may very well be reinstalled."

Yep a good reson for Iriquis to desire our success.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2007, 04:45:27 PM »
If you have any specific facts to contradict what I said about no French soldiers being turned back from the boats, or speculating that few French soldiers had orders to report to the beaches for evacuation, let's hear what you have.  Otherwise, your post is just pointless and childish.

Yeah, this comment, just a few days after Plane asked you for some names of disenfranchised voters in Florida which received a response from you of "look it up."

Consider my response to be not childish, but rather a restatement of your response to Plane.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
There is a lot of legacy problem in the allies we have and have had.

Communism polarized the entire world and both sides took what they could get , right down to the dregs like Pol Pot and Pinochet. Very few nations were able to maintain a "neutrality " like that of Finland . In struggling against Bolshevism over the course of three generations we were exploited and exploited in return some really bad actors , with no apology's to offer because there was another side doing the same if not worse.

Now as the victors of the Cold war we have a few embarrassing allegiances that we still honor . Egypt was quite a coup when we won it from the other Hegemony with hardly a shot fired , Vietnam was a burning loss with casualties comparable to the Civil war in number and severity.

In the Middle East the cold war was sharply felt and the legacy of it lingers on in inappropriate allegiances to second rate governments that have been improved only slightly by our influence , if at all.

Still these are interesting times , that see the US as a supreme super power unmatched by any realistic standard and this might be an opportunity to get some good done during these years that we are invulnerable. We can do for Asia what we did for Europe and introduce it to a more advanced form of civilization , but not to distroy its culture good government should be neutral to culture.

Africa is in urgent need of education and capitalization who better than us to provide both?

The defeated Warsaw Pact has split into the resentfull former conquered who still feel the boot print of the USSR on their necks and the Russians who seem blissfully unaware of the depth with which they were hated and wax nostalgically for the days when they were feared. This regions population is well educated and can be well read , it behooves us to make their struggle for advancement successfull including Russian success as long as they succeed with out becoming slave masters again.

South America is a natural trading partner , but some of our trade is harming them . In the rural areas of South America people are treated to the spectacle of Drug kingpins and Revolutionaries fighting against governments both good and bad but with all the cash that fuels the fight on both sides coming from the US from our recreational drug user and our government pouring gas onto the blazes that destroy so many lives . How can we turn off the tap that is our resources being wasted to cause harm? Certainly not by ceasing to support the governments , the bounty taken by the Drug traffickers would not be reduced and they would become the governments. There is a crying need for us to understand at every level of our society what harm we do  for the sake of street drugs that don't help us either , and solve the part of the problem that we are causing , right here.

The status of the USA as the super power alone cannot last forever , I can't predict what will cause our strength to be eclipsed , I just consider it unlikely that any human organization can be everlasting sooner or later something will either bring us down or some one else will arise with greater strength, before that time we should use our strength and influence as best we can to improve the condition of the world in general , while it is possible.

Eventually there will be two or more great powers that feel like compeditors again , and they will polerise the world exploiting and being exploited by substandard "Friends" that would be no ones friend if they were not strategically needed. Then getting anything good done is gonna be tough again and won't we be sorry we missed the opportunity of the present?

(Finland earned its neutrality with Hitlers help, perhaps Hitler learned a false lesson about how easily Russia could be beaten from the Finnish experience)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »
If you have any specific facts to contradict what I said about no French soldiers being turned back from the boats, or speculating that few French soldiers had orders to report to the beaches for evacuation, let's hear what you have.  Otherwise, your post is just pointless and childish.

Yeah, this comment, just a few days after Plane asked you for some names of disenfranchised voters in Florida which received a response from you of "look it up."

Consider my response to be not childish, but rather a restatement of your response to Plane.

It would still be nice to find something that gave an indication fo the true scope of cheating in the 2000 election.

I wonder sometimes if there was a lot or a little , or if the people prone to complain are not prone to take action because they would be caught themselves in the same net.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
<<Yeah, this comment, just a few days after Plane asked you for some names of disenfranchised voters in Florida which received a response from you of "look it up.">>

More bullshit, surprising nobody.  I told plane the information was in a Vanity Fair article which I had not been able to find but which Lanya found and posted to this group.  So it's in the archives.  Plane had as much information as I have about the article and as good a chance as I do of finding it.

Your comment, as I pointed out, was stupid, childish and a total waste of time for you to write and for me to read - - you had given absolutely no indication of what your source was, where it could be found or even when, if ever, it was posted.

So I stand by my original comment 100%

<<Consider my response to be not childish, but rather a restatement of your response to Plane.>>

I certainly will not consider this a restatement of anything I said, particularly my response to plane, which if you are still too stupid to see how it's distinguished from your response to me, I'm afraid neither I nor anyone else in this group can help you further.  Maybe a remedial reading course for underachieving elementary school students, for starters.  I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time.