Author Topic: Al Qaeda Plans Nuke Attack On US  (Read 7472 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Al Qaeda Plans Nuke Attack On US
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »
I don't know if you're a Cheech and Chong fan, but somehow you reminded me of the car made in Mexico entirely out of pressed marijuana leaves that they drive up to the border crossing control and then - - while they're in line waiting, next to a carload of nuns, some of the car starts to burn and the nuns breathe in the smoke unwittingly and get high.  I think maybe it was Up in Smoke.

But sure, why not?  Dirty bomb in bales of marijuana.  Great idea.  The jihadis better pray that the weed doesnt' catch fire next to a car full of nuns while they're waiting in line at Customs.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »

They could skip a step and just make the Marijuanna radioactive.

Dude.  Mutant high.  Imagine the carnage in the cookie aisle.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »
Duuude, brain damage was the GOAL, genetic mutation is a BONUS!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
it`s unlikely they`ll find people who don`t mind
most of the 9-11 high-jackers didn`t know it was a oneway trip.
================================================
If your plan is to hijack a plane and fly it into a building, how would you assume that it was anything but a one-way trip?

Was the plan to take the elevator down to ground floorr and walk away, do you suppose?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
it`s unlikely they`ll find people who don`t mind
most of the 9-11 high-jackers didn`t know it was a oneway trip.
================================================
If your plan is to hijack a plane and fly it into a building, how would you assume that it was anything but a one-way trip?

Was the plan to take the elevator down to ground floorr and walk away, do you suppose?

The Pilots had to have known , the rest of them might have been stooges without the need to know.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »
<<The Pilots had to have known , the rest of them might have been stooges without the need to know.>>

I think that's a given.  Why multiply the chances of failure by the number of non-pilots needed?

OTOH, it sure dampens the chances of a repeat performance.  Next time anyone asks any naive young al Qaeda recruits if they want to go on a plane ride with him, you'll see a rush for the exits like they were the last helicopter out of Saigon.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
<<The Pilots had to have known , the rest of them might have been stooges without the need to know.>>

I think that's a given.  Why multiply the chances of failure by the number of non-pilots needed?

I'm pretty sure that all of the terrorists involved had signed up for flight training.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
They may well have.  I was only kidding about the rush to the exits.  Anyone who's dedicated himself to being an Islamic "terrorist" has probably already decided that his likeliest fate will be premature death.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »
They may well have.  I was only kidding about the rush to the exits.  Anyone who's dedicated himself to being an Islamic "terrorist" has probably already decided that his likeliest fate will be premature death.

Yes it is too bad they don't beleive in evolution.

They might become alarmed at how  the courage gene was being selected against.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 11:52:35 PM »
from a Reason Online article titled "Who's Still Afraid of Osama?" by Steve Chapman:

Given their inability to do something simple--say, shoot up a shopping mall or set off a truck bomb--it's reasonable to ask if they have a chance at something much more ambitious. Far from being plausible, argued Ohio State University professor John Mueller in a recent presentation at the University of Chicago, "the likelihood that a terrorist group will come up with an atomic bomb seems to be vanishingly small." (http://polisci.osu.edu/faculty/jmueller/APSACHGO.PDF)

The events required to make that happen include a multitude of herculean tasks. First, a terrorist group has to get a bomb or fissile material, perhaps from Russia's inventory of decommissioned warheads. If that were easy, one would have already gone missing.

[...]

Then comes the task of building a bomb. It's not something you can gin up with spare parts and power tools in your garage. It requires millions of dollars, a safe haven and advanced equipment--plus people with specialized skills, lots of time and a willingness to die for the cause. And if Al Qaeda could make a prototype, another obstacle would emerge: There is no guarantee it would work, and there is no way to test it.

Whole thing at the other end of this link.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:57:43 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 11:56:34 PM »
the abstract of Ohio State University professor John Mueller's paper, "The Atomic Terrorist: Assessing the Likelihood":

A terrorist atomic bomb is commonly held to be the single most serious threat to the national security of the United States. Assessed in appropriate context, that could actually be seen to be a rather cheering conclusion because the likelihood that a terrorist group will come up with an atomic bomb seems to be vanishingly small. Moreover, the degree to which al-Qaeda--the chief demon group and one of the few terrorist groups to see value in striking the United States--has sought, or is capable of, obtaining such a weapon seems to have been substantially exaggerated.      

http://polisci.osu.edu/faculty/jmueller/APSACHGO.PDF
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 12:01:43 AM »
<<They might become alarmed at how  the courage gene was being selected against.>>

Not if they understood math as well as evolution.

If your theory held any water at all, at this point in time the Anglo-Saxon race would be a bunch of gibbering morons.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
from a Reason Online article titled "Who's Still Afraid of Osama?" by Steve Chapman:

Given their inability to do something simple--say, shoot up a shopping mall or set off a truck bomb--it's reasonable to ask if they have a chance at something much more ambitious. Far from being plausible, argued Ohio State University professor John Mueller in a recent presentation at the University of Chicago, "the likelihood that a terrorist group will come up with an atomic bomb seems to be vanishingly small." (http://polisci.osu.edu/faculty/jmueller/APSACHGO.PDF)

The events required to make that happen include a multitude of herculean tasks. First, a terrorist group has to get a bomb or fissile material, perhaps from Russia's inventory of decommissioned warheads. If that were easy, one would have already gone missing.

[...]

Then comes the task of building a bomb. It's not something you can gin up with spare parts and power tools in your garage. It requires millions of dollars, a safe haven and advanced equipment--plus people with specialized skills, lots of time and a willingness to die for the cause. And if Al Qaeda could make a prototype, another obstacle would emerge: There is no guarantee it would work, and there is no way to test it.

Whole thing at the other end of this link.

The only part of this that is plausable i that it is still difficult to get a lot of fission fuel , that is true , the rest isn't.

Testing for example , they wouldn't need a garuntee that it would work .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 12:19:44 AM »
<<They might become alarmed at how  the courage gene was being selected against.>>

Not if they understood math as well as evolution.

If your theory held any water at all, at this point in time the Anglo-Saxon race would be a bunch of gibbering morons.

What is your point?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 12:31:11 AM »

Testing for example , they wouldn't need a garuntee that it would work .

Possibly, but I don't see what part of "It's not something you can gin up with spare parts and power tools in your garage. It requires millions of dollars, a safe haven and advanced equipment--plus people with specialized skills, lots of time and a willingness to die for the cause." is implausible. Are you suggesting a nuclear weapon can be made with spare parts and power tools in someone's garage?