Author Topic: W Trailer  (Read 1242 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
W Trailer
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyDvUwRalXY[/youtube]

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: W Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
An interesting idea for a film. They got some of the actors right on target: others were largely better -looking than the people they play. Barbara seems to have lost about 30 years in this teaser.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:12:54 AM »
you gotta hand it to oliver stone
he sure likes to challenge himself
to make movie which most folks will not believe he`ll do accurately.
ex. nixon

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:26:07 AM »
I thought Nixon was pretty sympathetic.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »
not according to nixons kids

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:55:53 AM »
I was speaking for myself, not them. They are entitled to a different perception.

fatman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
I liked Nixon, it's one of my favorite movies.  Though not entirely accurate, I thought that it captured his human side pretty well.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
How could anyone make a realistic portrayal of Nixon that would also please his daughters?

Nixon was a creep and a crook. He was drummed out of office for criminal behavior, and many of those who voted to throw him out were fellow Republicans. Perhaps he did a few decent things, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

His daughters are judging him as a father. The public are judging him as a leader. These are different skills.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »
Nixon was infinitely fair.  It wasn't in the vein of JFK.  It did use dramatic device to sum up information but it didn't throw everything on the wall to see what would stick like JFK kind of did with some of the information.

Nixon, the movie, presented the man as mentally and emotionally unstable thereby sort of allowing the audience to make apologies for the man's actions.  Nixon was a weak man attempting to be strong, succeeding in some areas, failing miserably in others.  Lastly, Nixon wanted to better himself by improving his standing in the world.  He improved his standing but failed to better himself.

Personally, I really loved the line from Paul Sorvino as Henry Kissinger:  Can you imagine what this man would be like had anyone ever loved him?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:14:34 PM »
As far as this movie (W.) is looking right now, I'm afraid it is going to be a poor film and will flop miserably.  The production was rushed because the studio wanted to get it out in time for Election Day.

It is possible that Stone started shooting without a full script and that is dangerous for any film (notable exception: Apocalypse Now [sort of]).

Plus, I can't imagine any movie I would want to see less than an Oliver Stone version of a made-for-tv "family with an alcoholic" drama.  If the film doesn't go through the whole of the story of Bush simply being a tool of the oil companies, then it isn't going to be that great.  I'll see it but I am fearful that it will suck.

Plus, I doubt that Stone did mushrooms during the filming and that usually helps his films.  LOL

After his WTC movie that I haven't yet watched all the way through, though Oliver Stone has been an inspirational filmmaker, I fear he has lost his edge.

fatman

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »
I thought Paul Sorvino did an amazing job potraying Kissinger in Nixon.  He certainly had the accent down perfectly.

And that line is one of my favorites from the movie.

dralec

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
Sans that little Watergate thing, Nixon was probably the last liberal republican: he advocated for environment, access to mental health...well there was also that bombing of Cambodia thing though. 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »
Sans that little Watergate thing, Nixon was probably the last liberal republican: he advocated for environment, access to mental health...well there was also that bombing of Cambodia thing though. 

He was pro-gun control. He was pretty liberal all around.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)