Author Topic: Our Mutual Joy  (Read 26342 times)

Cynthia

Re: Our Mutual Joy
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »

How did you fail to notice that Jesus mentioned it?

I am of the opinion that he didn't mention it at all.
Perhaps you can tell me where Jesus mentions the disappearance of the Ark in the Bible.

The bottom line is not about the ARK, nor is it about the parting of the Red or Black or Med sea.

That's why I enjoyed the PBS program on Walking the Bible.
The gent who walked that story....found that those points of fable were far from the essence of anything Biblical.

I tend to agree.

It's more about the spirit of Eve and Adam being the very earth herself.

Read his book. Read his interview.
I plan to.

footnote: I don't think we will ever be able to get anywhere with a religious debate on the gate unless we form a new board where we agree to read particular books on the subject and give feedback there in.
But, this is not a religous board.....so we are lost like the ARc.....until we find the place for the revival.
;)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 12:50:22 AM »
No one wins arguments about religion. It always boils down to a faith vs reason argument, or a difference in beliefs, neither of which is winnable. If we did all comment on the same books, it might be more factual an argument, but the result would always be the same.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 01:08:10 AM »
No one wins arguments about religion. It always boils down to a faith vs reason argument, or a difference in beliefs, neither of which is winnable. If we did all comment on the same books, it might be more factual an argument, but the result would always be the same.

What would be the same result, XO?
Not clear ....
Cindy

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »
I don't think we will ever be able to get anywhere with a religious debate on the gate unless we form a new board where we agree to read particular books on the subject and give feedback there in.
But, this is not a religous board.....so we are lost like the ARc.....until we find the place for the revival.

There is a forum here for discussing religion - Matters of Faith.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 09:34:24 AM »
Not clear ....
Cindy

====================================
No one wins an argument. Each party continues to believe everything they previously believed.

Religious "scholarship" is based on faith, not reason. You can't argue faith.

It's like the argument of which tastes better, Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola. It's a matter of each individuals vision and personality. Soe people needs to believe in Jesus, I don't seem to.

Cynthia

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
I don't think we will ever be able to get anywhere with a religious debate on the gate unless we form a new board where we agree to read particular books on the subject and give feedback there in.

There is a forum here for discussing religion - Matters of Faith.

LOL....true...>I guess I meant here in the main board room.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »

How did you fail to notice that Jesus mentioned it?

I am of the opinion that he didn't mention it at all.
Perhaps you can tell me where Jesus mentions the disappearance of the Ark in the Bible.

Not the ark which was probly already in Etheopia , but the destruction of the temple .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »
Jesus could not have mentioned the destruction of the Temple, at least not Herod's temple, since it was standing when he died C. 27-33 BC.

Whether the Ark is now in Ethiopia or ever has been in Ethiopia is speculation. A couple of dotty old priests claim it si there, but they admit they have never seen it, and won't allow anyone else to check it out.

Cynthia

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »
Not clear ....
Cindy

====================================
No one wins an argument. Each party continues to believe everything they previously believed.

Religious "scholarship" is based on faith, not reason. You can't argue faith.

It's like the argument of which tastes better, Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola. It's a matter of each individuals vision and personality. Soe people needs to believe in Jesus, I don't seem to.

Well, you have never taken the taste test, XO.

It's not even an argument unless you have tried both choices.

But, that's cool. I just don't think people realize how deeply spiritual not to mention peaceful.....and "awe inspiring" experience it is to belief in Jesus Christ----really.

People who do not believe in Christ Jesus are far too caught up in the clear and present "here and now"--the  black or white..the mind over spirit mentality.

Oftentimes, there is no room for debate when a person hasn't lived both sides, imo.

So, there's no 'taste test'. nada.

There's just one taste......no test.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:37:34 AM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 03:08:35 AM »
Oftentimes, there is no room for debate when a person hasn't lived both sides, imo.

If memory serves XO was raised a Methodist.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2008, 03:44:35 AM »

If memory serves XO was raised a Methodist.

And oftentimes the best debaters are the ones who debate issues that are contrary to their beliefs and experiences. The ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes is a powerful one.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2008, 06:32:23 AM »
Jesus could not have mentioned the destruction of the Temple, at least not Herod's temple, since it was standing when he died C. 27-33 BC.

Jesus does mention the destruction of the Temple , Yes it was a Prophecy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »
Jesus does mention the destruction of the Temple , Yes it was a Prophecy.
===========================
And where was that?

It was prophesied in Revelation, which was easy to do, being as Revelation was written after the fact. I can predict the winners of Superbowls XXXVII and XXXVIII just as easily.

Since the destruction of the First temple had already occurred, and the second temple was built by Herod, a fellow who was not considered a real Jew by the Pharisees, I imagine that the destruction of the second temple was on the minds of many believers.
=======================
My grandfather was  Methodist minister whose obsession in life was to get my father to become a minister as well. I think he promised God or something. Dad did not want to be a preacher, and deliberately flunked out of SMU, got a job with the railroads, traveled around the country and attended Texas Tech the first year it opened, and eventually moved to Kansas City. I didn't see my father's father much, as he lived in Texas and I grew up in Missouri. One thing I remember is that I never saw him smile. Not once. My grandmother liked to brag, for some reason or another, that my grandfather's feet were so small he had to wear Boy Scout shoes. As I recall, she said this once with a perfectly straight face, and I looked down and the old man was wearing wingtips.

Boy Scout shoes never came in wingtips.

Cynthia

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
Being raised anything doesn't mean that the person was once a 'believer' in the faith.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
I believed it until I was old enough to realize that it made no sense.