Author Topic: Hess  (Read 24338 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hess
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
<<We have forgotten ourselves as we were.>>

Woken up to the fact that you were lied to and conned is more likely.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »
<<continually ignore the evidence and situation AT THE TIME Bush made his decision to go to war.  >>

On the contrary, we now know the pressure that was put on the CIA to cook the books and produce fake evidence of what never was.

<<Yea we know now Saddam got rid of wis WMD stockpiles >>

LMFAO.  "We" know no such thing.

<<(and have a reasonably good idea where),>>

Yeah, tell us another one

<< but at the time it was overwhelmingly believed Saddam still had them.>>

only by the "morons" that you now admit the Bush administration was aiming its war propaganda at.

<<  And with the direct & indirct connections Saddam had wih terrorists like AlQeada, and with the events of 911, it would have been irresponsible for Bush NOT to have gone into Iraq to take out that threat. >>

The fucking BUSH family had more "direct and indirect connections" with al Qaeda than Saddam could ever hope for.  They were partners with Osama's God-damn brother, for Christ sake.

<<Why the left religiously ignores the events at the time, >>

Looks to me like the only one "religiously ignoring" anything is you, sirs

<<and continues to pretent it either didn't happen, or worse try to lay claim that Bush lied about it>>

Now how could that be?  I am SHOCKED!!!  HORRIFIED!!!  Bush?  Lie?   BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

<< really demonstrates just how much tunnel vision the anti-war and ABB crowd posseses, when it comes to criticising Bush & the war>>

Tunnel vision?  You wanna see some REAL tunnel vision?  Try looking in the fucking mirror once in awhile.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:19 PM »
Same way, BT.  What's your point?  Is there any lobbyist in your small town comparable to AIPAC, who finances virtually every member of the town council so there is no real debate on the issues that matter to the lobbyist's client?  Has anyone recently bamboozled your council with threats of horrible weaponry aimed at you from another small town so that your council would decide to invade the other town and force a regime change on it?  Does the other small town have a huge oversupply of hominy grits that your council has determined to get its hands on?

If there is a dividing line in this town, it is between those who are in favor of full property rights with minimum interference from the government and those in favor of protecting the environment by legislation at the expense of those same property rights.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
The fact oif the matter is that a veto proof majority voted to authorize the war. Representatives of the several states, put there by popular vote. Which, if my understanding is correct,  is how this government of ours is designed to work. Which means it isn't Bush's War, it is Americas's War. That is the nature of the beast, your disagreement with the vote, notwithstanding.

So? That doesn't make the entry into the war justifiable.

Yes we are there and we owe the Iraqis something. I agree with that. But, it was an unjust war and no amount of revision or vote counts will change that.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
Yes we are there and we owe the Iraqis something. I agree with that. But, it was an unjust war and no amount of revision or vote counts will change that.

Again you mix the subjective with the factual.

I think the invasion was justified. You don't. We disagree. So it goes.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »
<<If there is a dividing line in this town, it is between those who are in favor of full property rights with minimum interference from the government and those in favor of protecting the environment by legislation at the expense of those same property rights. >>

That's hilarious; we've got the exact same fight going on not too far from Toronto regarding a piece of the Niagara Escarpment, and I've just this week been asked to pitch in on this.  On which side, I'll leave it to you to imagine.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
And your problem Js (and others), you are either so bent up in opposing war or Bush or both, that you continually ignore the evidence and situation AT THE TIME Bush made his decision to go to war.

No. I could care less about Bush and I support our staying in Iraq (now that we've broken all the dishes).

AT THE TIME (which for some reason must be capitalised) were we given all of the evidence?

Yea we know now Saddam got rid of wis WMD stockpiles (and have a reasonably good idea where), but at the time it was overwhelmingly believed Saddam still had them.

Right. The thousands of tons of biological and chemical weapons (and don't forget the tens of thousands of nuclear centrifuges!) mysteriously transported to Syria through the barren western Iraqi desert which is of course never monitored by intelligence resources. That's plausible. Somewhere Occam just rolled over a few times.

And with the direct & indirct connections Saddam had with terrorists like AlQeada, and with the events of 911, it would have been irresponsible for Bush NOT to have gone into Iraq to take out that threat.

Bullshit. There were very few connections, if any. Moreover, there wasn't a single shred of clear evidence that Saddam had any intention to hand over WMD to any organisation. Those groups didn't exactly like him, or are you forgetting that part for convenience?

You don't make pre-emptive war on a hunch. This was a war in search of justification.

Why the left religiously ignores the events at the time, and continues to pretend it either didn't happen, or worse try to lay claim that Bush lied about it, really demonstrates just how much tunnel vision the anti-war and ABB crowd posseses, when it comes to criticising Bush & the war

Why you religiously devote yourself to justify a war whose evidence is based on a flimsy house of cards amazes me. I'd thought you more intelligent than that. My guess is that it is purely partisan. You'd never have supported this war if a Democrat had made the same pathetic arguments that this administration had.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
Again you mix the subjective with the factual.

A subjective view isn't necessarily counterfactual Bt.

If all you are saying is that the Senate voted for a resolution to use force, then you're not really saying anything at all.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »
If all you are saying is that the Senate voted for a resolution to use force, then you're not really saying anything at all.

Au contraire. I am saying this is America's War and not as so many claim, Bush's War.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
Ah. Not my argument then. I'll leave that alone.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

domer

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
Initial authorization is one thing, continuing support is another. By that standard, this is now Bush's war. It is also Bush's war in the way that he and his administration, then basking in the aura 911, relentlessly promoted the war. Most importantly, it is Bush's war because untethered by any constraints save for the limits of his own mind, he waged the war as chief strategist and commander in a fashion that was wholly incompetent, grasping a quagmire from the jaws of victory.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »
..... grasping a quagmire from the jaws of victory.

I'm intrigued domer.  Let's take Bush out of the equation, and tell us how we were apparently "so close" to victory in Iraq.  Where & when did this take place?  What was the situation on the ground at the time we nearly had victory?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »
And your problem Js (and others), you are either so bent up in opposing war or Bush or both, that you continually ignore the evidence and situation AT THE TIME Bush made his decision to go to war.

No. I could care less about Bush and I support our staying in Iraq (now that we've broken all the dishes).

So, all this effort in trying to cast doubt & nefarious reasons for going to war is all........an effort to.......well, you said you don't care about Bush, so clue us in.  Perhaps to make sure Bush's legacy is properly tarnished?

AT THE TIME (which for some reason must be capitalised) were we given all of the evidence?

Bush was, as might I add pretty much all the Senators Of the Intel Committee, along with those congress critters privvy to all the intel that comes thru.  What "we" were given was largely unidirectional along the lines of the decision already made, from ALL the evidence Bush and Co were provided.  EVERY President will shape what they present in the direction for which their decisions are headed.  Might I add EVERY President does that, or at least every modern day President.  Again, THEY make the decisions, not "us".  And our representatives which "we" elected overwhelmingly agreed..........until the polls said they shouldn't

The thousands of tons of biological and chemical weapons (and don't forget the tens of thousands of nuclear centrifuges!) mysteriously transported to Syria through the barren western Iraqi desert which is of course never monitored by intelligence resources.

And who's making that claim, that everything was transported in large masses thru the dessert?  And why you keep bringing up nuclear centrifuges is beyond me.  I've never claimed or implied those were the WMD being moved out of the region.  I doubt very seriously Saddam would have wanted those moved in any way shape or form.  A little intellectual dishonesty perhaps?

That's plausible.

In small enough quantities, absolutely. 

And with the direct & indirct connections Saddam had with terrorists like AlQeada, and with the events of 911, it would have been irresponsible for Bush NOT to have gone into Iraq to take out that threat.

Bullshit. There were very few connections, if any.

I didn't realize you worked for the Intelligence agency Js.  Do tell.  Perhaps you can get a conference call set up with the likes of Wolfowitz, privvy to such intimate intel, explaining the 10+yrs Saddam's ties with terrorists extended

Moreover, there wasn't a single shred of clear evidence that Saddam had any intention to hand over WMD to any organisation. Those groups didn't exactly like him, or are you forgetting that part for convenience?

No, but when you have an enemy as hated as that great Satan America, it's very easy for folks who don't exactly like each other to actually work toegther, even if it's not direct help. 

You don't make pre-emptive war on a hunch.

Correct.  You make it on the evidence presented at the time, and then using your best judgement, make such decisions

This was a war in search of justification.

Well, considering the plethora of evidence/intel to the contrary, your opinion is duely noted

Why you religiously devote yourself to justify a war whose evidence is based on a flimsy house of cards amazes me.

Perhaps because I don't see a mountain of intelligence conclusions, from sources across the globe as "flimsy".  Perhaps because I don't see the President as a moron, or an idiot, or an incompotent bafoon, or a dumbed down version of Hitler.  I see him as a sincere leader, making decisions based on the evidence presented him, to best serve and protect this country.  As such your OPINION of how unjust this war is remains largely that.  History can judge how just or unjust this war actually is determined to be, and given both the evidence at the time, the connections that WERE present to terrorists, and the events of 911, provide precisely what's necessary in my mind to deem this war just.  Which also means every life given in that pursuit was tragic yet not a death in vain, but in the pursuit of both American security and Iraqi freedom

My guess is that it is purely partisan. You'd never have supported this war if a Democrat had made the same pathetic arguments that this administration had.

And you couldn't be more wrong
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:34:24 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »
Initial authorization is one thing, continuing support is another. By that standard, this is now Bush's war.

I did not know those who authorized have now rescinded that authorization. Until they do, it is still America's War.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »
<<I did not know those who authorized have now rescinded that authorization. Until they do, it is still America's War.>>

It's America's war because the American sheeple were dumb enough to buy it from Bush.  If I buy a lemon from a dishonest car salesman, it's still my car and not his.  But that doesn't mean that I'm not gonna find a way to make that lying bastard pay for selling me the lemon, and it doesn't mean I can't just walk away from the shitbox and abandon it in somebody's junkyard where it belongs.