Author Topic: public discourse  (Read 737 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
public discourse
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »
Why has America's public discourse become less focused and clear, less reasoned? Faith in the power of reason—the belief that free citizens can govern themselves wisely and fairly by resorting to logical debate on the basis of the best evidence available, instead of raw power—remains the central premise of American democracy. This premise is now under assault.

American democracy is now in danger—not from any one set of ideas, but from unprecedented changes in the environment within which ideas either live and spread, or wither and die. I do not mean the physical environment; I mean what is called the public sphere, or the marketplace of ideas.

It is simply no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public discourse. I know I am not alone in feeling that something has gone fundamentally wrong.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1622015,00.html
****************************************************************************************************

Think about it. Then act on it. if not in real life, at least in here.

Mucho

Re: public discourse
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »
Why has America's public discourse become less focused and clear, less reasoned? Faith in the power of reason—the belief that free citizens can govern themselves wisely and fairly by resorting to logical debate on the basis of the best evidence available, instead of raw power—remains the central premise of American democracy. This premise is now under assault.

American democracy is now in danger—not from any one set of ideas, but from unprecedented changes in the environment within which ideas either live and spread, or wither and die. I do not mean the physical environment; I mean what is called the public sphere, or the marketplace of ideas.

It is simply no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public discourse. I know I am not alone in feeling that something has gone fundamentally wrong.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1622015,00.html
****************************************************************************************************

Think about it. Then act on it. if not in real life, at least in here.

Yassa Mr Pot!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: public discourse
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:59:43 PM »
Yassa Mr Pot!

Don't get too comfortable or too cocky.