Author Topic: Why are we so safe?  (Read 2682 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why are we so safe?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »
Our rate of violent death is considerably less than the world average , less than 1/6 of any of the bottom twenty.

WOW.....I was not aware of that.  And when you consider how many people in this country own firearms, makes that statistic all the more stellar.  thanks for sharing that, Plane    8)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »
Our rate of violent death is considerably less than the world average , less than 1/6 of any of the bottom twenty.

WOW.....I was not aware of that.  And when you consider how many people in this country own firearms, makes that statistic all the more stellar.  thanks for sharing that, Plane    8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

This is just my interpretation of the tables on that website.

Before you call these factoids "facts" look at the source and evaluate the level of precision.

The level of precision is exactly loose, but all the estimates everywhere are like this.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 01:38:49 AM »
Alternatively Judeo -Christian ethic tradition.(Jews deserve top billing) The Jews are responsible for all the godly kind of violence in the Bible. So maybe in this context they deserve top billing.

The alternative does not sound right: Christo-Judean?   

The Japanese seem to have a much less violent tradition. Shinto is basically ancestor worship, and deceased ancestors are as nonviolent as one can get.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."