Author Topic: Commute Saddam's Death Sentence?  (Read 4270 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Commute Saddam's Death Sentence?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 01:43:42 AM »
Then why do you keep starting them if you know we are not worthy?

Because I'm an optimist.

I also believe one day, somehow, most probably by accident, you will write a post worth reading. Your track record not withstanding

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 01:45:15 AM »
Huh?  Isn't that what I originally said?

No .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 06:48:18 AM »
Without close knowledge, my impressions of the Iraqi political situation allow me to speculate that maybe, just maybe, commuting Saddam's death sentence could play a role in starting a reconciliation process in Iraq. The Baathists are enamored of the guy, it seems, theone who personified their aspirations for some 25 years. Would they be moved -- placated -- by sparing his life. Certainly, as this terrible mess spirals out of control, it's worth a look.

I would not expect this to work , especially if it seemed to ther Iriquis as if their elected government was obeying an order form Washington to preserve the life of the much hated Saddam. There are a lot of people this would displease and there are not any people  that this would make a ally of the US out of.

It might be better to have a Charles De Gaul type of guy take the reigns , someone who would make it look like he was exibiting courage as he orders us to leave.

How to arange for this ?

How did we arange for Charles De Gaulle to seem independant? 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »
It might be better to have a Charles De Gaul type of guy take the reigns , someone who would make it look like he was exibiting courage as he orders us to leave.

How to arange for this ?

How did we arange for Charles De Gaulle to seem independant?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The US did not want DeGaulle to close US bases in France. DeGaulle did this because both the French right and the French left felt that the US was a bad influence in France, and a bad one. The US did not "arrange for DeGaulle to seem independent.He WAS independent. In return, the US punished France by not importing many French products" Citroens, Simcas, Renaults, Peugeots are a bit rare in the US, you may have noticed.

There is no Iraqi Charles De Gaulle. You would be more likely to find a Borat at your family reunion.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
What?

Charles De Gaulle was not emplaced by Chirchill and FDR?

His choice saved the US taxpayer a pot of Money which we went and spent in Germany , where our influence was much diffrent.

How do you know that Charles De Gaulle was not being obedient to his English speaking handlers when he released us from France?