Author Topic: Half of European men share King Tut's DNA  (Read 8194 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Half of European men share King Tut's DNA
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
Half of European men share King Tut's DNA
Mon Aug 1, 2011 5:52pm GMT
By Alice Baghdjian

LONDON Aug 1 (Reuters Life!) - Up to 70 percent of British men and half of all Western European men are related to the Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun, geneticists in Switzerland said.

Scientists at Zurich-based DNA genealogy centre, iGENEA, reconstructed the DNA profile of the boy Pharaoh, who ascended the throne at the age of nine, his father Akhenaten and grandfather Amenhotep III, based on a film that was made for the Discovery Channel.

The results showed that King Tut belonged to a genetic profile group, known as haplogroup R1b1a2, to which more than 50 percent of all men in Western Europe belong, indicating that they share a common ancestor.

Among modern-day Egyptians this haplogroup contingent is below 1 percent, according to iGENEA.

"It was very interesting to discover that he belonged to a genetic group in Europe -- there were many possible groups in Egypt that the DNA could have belonged to," said Roman Scholz, director of the iGENEA Centre.

Around 70 percent of Spanish and 60 percent of French men also belong to the genetic group of the Pharaoh who ruled Egypt more than 3,000 years ago.

"We think the common ancestor lived in the Caucasus about 9,500 years ago," Scholz told Reuters.

It is estimated that the earliest migration of haplogroup R1b1a2 into Europe began with the spread of agriculture in 7,000 BC, according to iGENEA.

However, the geneticists were not sure how Tutankhamun's paternal lineage came to Egypt from its region of origin.

The centre is now using DNA testing to search for the closest living relatives of "King Tut".

"The offer has only been publicised for three days but we have already seen a lot of interest," Scholz told Reuters.    (Edited by Paul Casciato)

? Thomson Reuters 2011. All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Thomson Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies around the world.

Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFL3E7J135P20110801?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Half of European men share King Tut's DNA
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
King Tut is more closely related to Englishmen than to Egyptians, then?

That is surprising.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »
Cleopatra was the granddaughter of one of  Alexanders generals ,  I think.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Cleopatra was not related to King Tut. She was Cleopatra VII, and the last of the Ptolemys.

You are several generations off. Cleopatra was born in 69 BCE and died in 30 BCE.

The first Ptolemy ruled from 305 to 285 BCE. He was one of Alexander's generals.

Tunankhamun lived from 1341 to 1323 BCE

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:22:03 AM »
Cleopatra was not related to King Tut. She was Cleopatra VII, and the last of the Ptolemys.

You are several generations off. Cleopatra was born in 69 BCE and died in 30 BCE.

The first Ptolemy ruled from 305 to 285 BCE. He was one of Alexander's generals.

Was there an earlyer invader or something similar that would explain the royal family having this gene typical of a European?

I guess you are right about the relationship of Tut to Cleo, a thousand years difference is a lot , a gene can get pretty well spread about in twenty generations.

Did the Macedonian Pharaohs intermarry the Egyption nobles?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »

What is the E for?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:14:06 AM »
The Pharoahs ruling Egypt before the Macedonians arrived were not Egyptians, either. Ptolemy's dynasty did not intermarry with any people of Egyptian blood. After the first generation, they continued the tradition of incestuous brother-sister marriages. Cleopatra was married to Ptolemy, her brother.

BCE stands for "Before Common Era" it is the term used by all archeologists, rather than BC, which shows a Christian bias.

Archeologists are not all Christians, nor are they missionaries or Biblical scholars.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »
BCE stands for "Before Common Era" it is the term used by all archeologists, rather than BC, which shows a Christian bias.

Hahahhaa!

So they use the Popes Calender but change the BC to BCE to expunge the Christian Bias?
Hehehe People are funny.

What did they do to the Anno Domini?

So does King tuts DNA lead us to think that Egyptian royalty was imported?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
Anno Domini = CE as in Common Era. This year is 2011 CE.

Most of my students believed that AD meant "After Death", ie after the death of Jesus, which is not the case: dates begin with the assumed date of the birth of Jesus, not his death. AD is a rather confusing term, and CE is not. Anno Domini means "year of the Master" and could logically refer to either the birth year or the death year.

Pope Gregory modified the Roman calendar, and he was not the first.

The year used to begin in the Spring, which does make some sense, because that is when plants start to grow again. The Persian New Year begins in the Spring to this day. 

That is why September, October, November, December mean seventh month, eighth month, ninth month, tenth month, but are presently the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12 months.

The connection of Spring to March as the first month was also connected to pagan rituals. So they switched it around, so that Jesus would be born in the dark of Winter and resurrected in the Spring: it cancelled out the pagan connections and reinforced the Christian ones. Pope Gregory reformed the calendar because it was one day or so out of synch with the orbits of the Sun and Moon.

The Muslim year is somewhat defective, because it has only 354 days, 11 days short of an actual orbit of the Earth around the Sun, but in harmony with the Moon, so the seasons change from one Muslim month to another over the years. The Muslim year is 12 lunar months of equal duration.

The Christian system of enumerating dates is the most common and easily understood one, and so it is used by scientists and pretty much everyone else. The term COMMON ERA and the abbreviations CE and BCE were chosen because they did not show a pro-Christian bias. The word Christ means "anointed by God" and not all of the world's people subscribe to Jesus being the Son of God. But everyone can agree on their being a need for a common dating  system. It is a pragmatic and logical decision. And do not criticize me for it, I am hardly responsible.

I can say that I approve of the use of the abbreviations CE and BCE and the terms they stand for.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
Don't take it as a personal criticism, I know you didn't personally make this decision.

I personally think it funny.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
That is why September, October, November, December mean seventh month, eighth month, ninth month, tenth month, but are presently the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12 months.

And August used to be known as "Sextilus" before it was renamed in honor of Augustus.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
Pope Gregory reformed the calendar because it was one day or so out of synch with the orbits of the Sun and Moon.

10 days when the Catholic countries accepted calendar reform in 1582. When Great Britain and America (and most of the rest of Europe) followed a century or so later, it had become 11 days. Russia did not accept the calendar until 1917 (which is why "Red October" occurred in November in much of the rest of the world), 1919 in Romania, and 1923 in Turkey and Greece - by then it was about 2 weeks out of date.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
I'd say it was pretty sloppy of the Creator of the Universe to make the orbits of the Moon and earth not correspond so that there was a precise number of months in a year.

There are 365ΒΌ days in a year. 30.43 days in one month. I doubt that Microsoft would have designed it isn such a sloppy manner.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »
What makes you think it sloppy?

Do you think Pi should come out even?

The Moon orbits the Earth at precicely the same period as it rotates and in cosmic coincidence is exactly the right size to blot out the sun in eclipse.

Is it evidence of Gods work that things are in simple ratios and one to one relationships?

In my concept of God , he is able to do and understand complexity.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
The Moon orbits the Earth at precicely the same period as it rotates and in cosmic coincidence is exactly the right size to blot out the sun in eclipse.

=======================================
The Moon is simply big enough to blot out the Sun in an eclipse. It might do so if it were a bit smaller as well.

God may understand complexity, but the Earth was not designed to be a difficult puzzle, was it? It was designed, according to the Bible, as a habitat for humans to live in. Or so we are told. It is also mostly covered by salt water, which we can neither breathe nor drink.

It seems to me that the Universe is only as organized as it has to be to not go flying apart. The synchronization of the orbits of the Earth and the Moon appear to me to be quite sloppy.  I also have issues with the design of teeth, which are always under attack by decay, and the existence of things like poisonous insects and cancer.

You are free to see harmony and divine purpose in this as you wish. I don't.