Author Topic: Free speech was nice while it lasted.  (Read 12425 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Free speech was nice while it lasted.
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
Let's address the 2 issues, that H has brought up.....
1) Just because they have a business license, and "cater to the public" doesn't then abolish their right to religious freedom.  The only reason a gay couple would go to such great lengths to force said business to act contrary to their faith, when they could just go across the street to another bakery, who doesn't care, is simply trying to impose their set of morality onto someone else.  If words gets out that said bakery is supposedly run by some homophobic zealot, they're not going to do good business now, are they.  Instead, the bakery is likely to be given massive amounts of publicity, and they'll undergo a Chick-Filet phenomenon of overwhelming support and cash flow.  Not the smartest way of trying to punish the zealot now is it 

I'll address the other issue, in the the thread
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 09:18:06 PM »
There may not be another bakery across the street. I may not feel like finding another one. They might not have the resources Chick-Fil-A does.

And I would not go after them, as you say, just to impose my morality on someone else. I would do so because I had been discriminated against. I could care less about their faith, or lack of it. Seems it's all well and good if it's making a point against racial discrimination, but when it's against gays, well, it's okay to get all puffed up and say your religion prevents you doing your job? Really? Well hell, there are pro-slavery Biblical passages, and passages that place cwomen as inferior to men - lets abolish all laws against discrimination.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Why? Because as a commercial business, he relies on a business license in order to stay open and charge for his services.
And to keep that license, he is prohibited from discriminating against someone based on race, sex, religion, or sexual preference.

Should a "gay bakery" be forced by law to make a pro-traditional marriage cake if a religious customer requests it?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 10:57:37 PM »
  I feel sorry for bakeries now.

Apparently there is no right to refusal at all.

Someone might have to work very hard to offend H in his bakery , but sooner or later someone might , and H would have to bake a cake to celebrate Custer's birthday .

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
Well, first C4's question was ridiculous on soooo many levels...

Second, I don't bake. Not commercially, not for sale, and very little at home.

Third, if I did open a business, of any kind, I would make it a point to be familiar with local laws and ordinances that might affect my license and the keeping thereof, and follow them, um, religiously [pun intended].

And fourth, I got nothing against Custer. He was stupid enough to get himself killed, no skin off my nose.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »
  So offending H in his bakery would be real work, do we live in times that have plenty of people willing to make that effort?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:40 PM »
Oh, I'm sure I could be offended. Have been, many times. The question before us is, would I let such offense become a threat to my livelihood? It would take quite a bit of offending to do that. Still, I have the choice between letting it pass or finding a new job. As did the owner of the bakery.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:09 AM »
There may not be another bakery across the street. I may not feel like finding another one. They might not have the resources Chick-Fil-A does.

You couldn't google a nearby bakery??  What you "feel" doesn't trump the 1st amendment, I'm afraid to say.  You have, however, no right, not to be offended

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
You couldn't google a nearby bakery??  What you "feel" doesn't trump the 1st amendment, I'm afraid to say.  You have, however, no right, not to be offended

I didn't have my cell phone, no way to Google anything. I was too broken up over some religious zealot using his prejudice to refuse to bake a simple wedding cake, and that and the stress of dealing with my disability just to make my way out to this shop that had such a nice full page ad in the phone book wore me out, I was unable to continue looking for another bakery.

And I have a right NOT to be discriminated against. What about that is so hard for you to understand?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
sirs enjoys offending people, it appears. He delights in being outrage by the many people who disagree with him.

Wedding cakes are pretty trivial things to classify as speech, free or otherwise.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »

I didn't have my cell phone, no way to Google anything. I was too broken up over some religious zealot using his prejudice to refuse to bake a simple wedding cake, and that and the stress of dealing with my disability just to make my way out to this shop that had such a nice full page ad in the phone book wore me out, I was unable to continue looking for another bakery.

So sorry that your feelings were hurt, and you were so physically & emotionally taxed from the whole ordeal, that you didn't have the energy to go thru the yellow pages to find any one of a bazillion other bakeries.  It still doesn't trump another person's 1st amendment rights however.  Why you would even want such a baker after all that stress is beyond me, but that's just me

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:00:39 AM by sirs »

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
What I would want would be to not feel discriminated against because the baker disapproves of my lifestyle.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:19 AM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
LOL, 'pro-traditional marriage cake' my ass...

From the article:

However, when Shoebat.com decided to call thirteen pro-gay bakeries and ask for the words “Gay Marriage Is Wrong”, they were met with insults and hatred. In short, they were met with the same intolerance that the people wanting “Support Gay Marriage” cakes were met with at Christian bakeries… yet these pro-gay bakeries had no backlash against them.

They were gay bashing, pure and simple.