Author Topic: Free speech was nice while it lasted.  (Read 12432 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Free speech was nice while it lasted.
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »
I really doubt that most bakeries would refuse to bake cakes with any slogan on them, pro-gay or anti-gay. Bakeries are a business. The purpose of businesses is to make money, not to promote or disparage people who order their cakes.

Custom wedding cakes are not a serious issue for anyone, when you look at it. Anyone can order a no-name cake and decorate it any way they wish.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »
What I would want would be to not feel discriminated against because the baker disapproves of my lifestyle.

And what I would want is for the Baker not to be forced to service those of a lifestyle that their religion disapproves of, because someone's feelings get hurt.  Just go to a fricken gazillion other bakeries, who could care less
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »
I do not actually care that some bigoted baker was sued over this.

Wedding cakes and unnecessary and trivial. Making them the focus of bigotry is even more trivial and unnecessary.

To say that this somehow abolishes free speech in this country is inaccurate and foolish.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
What I would want would be to not feel discriminated against because the baker disapproves of my lifestyle.

And what I would want is for the Baker not to be forced to service those of a lifestyle that their religion disapproves of, because someone's feelings get hurt.  Just go to a fricken gazillion other bakeries, who could care less

Awwww, gee, did I forget to mention I live in Moosebutt, Maine, and there's only one custom bakery within a hundred miles?

Your rationalizations are bullshit. It is illegal to discriminate based on sexual preference. It is illegal to try to force your religion on someone else by discriminating against them. Quit whining about someone trying to force you to become a Baal worshipping, butt-fucking idolater just by asking you to bake a simple wedding cake, which is what you are in business for, licensed for, and solicit customers for. Either that or change livelihoods, because, yes, someone is liable to work within the legal system to put you out of business and sue your jock strap off for discrimination.

Capisce?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »
It is a trivial issue, but hnumpah is right and sirs is wrong.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »

Awwww, gee, did I forget to mention I live in Moosebutt, Maine, and there's only one custom bakery within a hundred miles?

LOL....riiiiiiight.  And lemme guess....no phone, no computer, horse covered wagon, with one of your horses having a bum hoof, your short on hay, and the phone book you used to find this one and only bakery, had of course, no other bakeries listed, that could accomodate all your needs without any feelings getting hurt.    ::)

Sorry, Constitution still trumps feelings, and no one is forcing anyone to accept God.  Capisce?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
Perhaps not, but they are still discriminating, which is still illegal. And see my earlier comment about the constitutionality of anti-discrimination laws.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
No, they're not.......if they're functioning within their religious beliefs.  I appreciate your comments, about anti-discrimination laws.  I would hope you'd appreciate my comments regarding the sanctity of religious freedom, as embraced by our founding documents, and dedicated in the very 1st amendment to the Constitution

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »
The freedom to be a bigot is not covered by any part of the Constitution.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Read this very carefully. Get an eighth grader to explain it to you if you have to.

Unless and until the existing laws on discrimination can be overturned on constitutional grounds, those laws are considered constitutional and valid. Period. End of sentence. End of paragraph.

If you want to continue to whine and portray yourself as some sort of persecuted religious sect, do it with someone else.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »
The freedom to be a bigot is not covered by any part of the Constitution.

Exactly....so quit being a bigot and trying to make the homo agenda superior to my religious freedom.
Go get your cake someplace else!

It will be entertaining to watch the homo-agenda try this with Muslims.
Of course the homo-agenda probably doesn't have the balls to force their perversion beliefs
on people that will blow their ass up!.....no pun intended!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
they were gay bashing, pure and simple.

"Gay marriage is wrong" is not gay bashing any more than stating it is wrong to suddenly rename dogs cats.
A dog is not a cat.....and stating a "dog is not a cat" is not hate speech or dog bashing...it is fact.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
Read this very carefully. Get an eighth grader to explain it to you if you have to.

*sigh*.....I think we can stop there

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
Gay marriage is wrong, like any statement of the type "X is wrong" is an opinion and a value judgement. It is not a fact.
You think it is wrong.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 07:28:44 PM »
Gay marriage is wrong, like any statement of the type "X is wrong" is an opinion and a value judgement. It is not a fact.

"Swindling a helpless elderly person is wrong".....yep just an opinion, not a fact!  ::)

"Driving drunk is wrong".....yep just a value judgement, not a fact.  ::)

"Pedophilia is wrong"....yep just an opinion.  ::)