Author Topic: "Confederate Flag"  (Read 4172 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Confederate Flag"
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
“Civil war, such as you have just passed through, naturally engenders feelings of animosity, hatred and revenge. It is our duty to divest ourselves of all such feelings, and, so far as it is
 in our power to do so, to cultivate feelings toward those with whom we have so long contested, and heretofore so widely but honestly differed. Whatever your responsibilities may be to
 government, to society, or to individuals, meet them like men.”

-Nathan Bedford Forrest

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 01:38:15 AM »
Really, is a man who halted the Klan and kept it halted as long as he lived worthy of NO honor?

N B Forest was a rough and violent man, but much more intelligent than most, His efforts to reign in the Klan and encourage peaceful submission to federal authority shouldn't be forgotten by anyone who wants wars to end in peace rather than continuing war.

Don't feel bad, Plane. Jacksonville, FL recently bowed to pressue and renamed Nathan Bedford Forrest High School, though the town itself is named after one of the most racist presidents we ever had.

Meh..
This is debate, accuracy is a lot to expect of partisans who have an axe to grind.
President Jackson would indeed be a racist by modern standards , but in those times he fit right in.
   There have always been a few racially tolerant people, this being widely observed as a virtue is a recent thing.

If ... it is widely spread, and not just a large illusion.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
Andrew Jackson illegally stole the lands of the Seven Civilized Tribes in the South and sold them, mostly to the owners of futrue slave plantations.
I say illegally because the Supreme Court recognized this as illegal and against the Constitution.

There is a movement to replace him on the $20 bill.

Changing the name of a city is very difficult. Moving a monument is far less difficult. To say that the name of Jacksonville must be changed for the monument to the Father of the Kluxers to be moved is a bogus argument. The movement is not done for logical motives, but for sentimental ones. Sentiments have turned against the Confederacy, which managed to con the country with a bunch of crap about gallantry and tradition for far too long.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »
..... Sentiments have turned against the Confederacy, ......

Does this require made up stuff and selective editing of the story?

If the truth is not bad enough, lets improve it ?

NBF is a fascinating story, especially if you get the long version.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »
It should be easy to understand why Black folks would be opposed to continuing to honor Forrest with  a park and a statue. His oipinion of them was that they should be either slaves or executed for daring to question the White man's authority.

He may have been intelligent. Hitler was intelligent, Goebbles was intelligent Stalin was intelligent.
But none of them are honored with a park in this country.

He started the Klan. If he decided to suspend it, I suspect that he was threatened politely with dearth as an option.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »
  A large slug of that just isn't true.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »
He DID start the Klan.
It is all true.

And he does not merit a place of honor in a public park.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
He DID start the Klan.
It is all true.

And he does not merit a place of honor in a public park.

There is a little detail, that the Klan was begun and widespread before he joined it.

As one of the most famous and admired persons of the region, and as one of the most natural leaders of all time he quickly rose to the top rank and served as the commander for a year.

One Year.

Then he proclaimed the Klan closed , and it stayed closed the rest of his life, about Twenty five years.

So you have mistaken the man who Closed the Klan for the man who Opened the Klan.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2015, 02:46:58 AM »
D'oh     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
Andrew Jackson illegally stole the lands of the Seven Civilized Tribes in the South and sold them, mostly to the owners of futrue slave plantations.
I say illegally because the Supreme Court recognized this as illegal and against the Constitution.

Jackson's response was along the lines of, they (the Supreme Court) have made their decision, now let them enforce it. Then he sent troops in to remove the tribes. Thousands died along what became known as the Trail of Tears; even more died in Oklahoma from illness, heartbreak, and the failure of the government to meet their obligations under removal. Some were my family members.

Some, including my immediate ancestors, escaped removal by hiding out in the hills and mountains, evading the troops. To this day, the Cherokee tribe is divided between the Western Cherokee, descendants of the survivors of the Trail of Tears in Oklahoma, and the Eastern Cherokee, descendants of those who escaped removal. These are centered around Gatlinburg, TN, famous for the Cherokee in the area and their gatherings there, though they are scattered all over NC, SC, TN, and northern GA and AL. Creeks, Seminoles, Choctaws and other Southeastern tribes also faced removal, and all had members escape removal; the Cherokee group is just the largest and most famous.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »
I am thinking Millard Fillmore and Rutherford B Hayes deserve to be on the $20 bill more than Jackson.
But he did have really really good hair.

John Brown, Warren G.Harding  and James Buchanan also had good hair, but not quite as good as Jackson.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
Some were my family members.

Some, including my immediate ancestors, escaped removal by hiding out in the hills and mountains, evading the troops. To this day, the Cherokee tribe is divided between the Western Cherokee, descendants of the survivors of the Trail of Tears in Oklahoma, and the Eastern Cherokee, descendants of those who escaped removal. These are centered around Gatlinburg, TN,....

One of these days when there is time I would like to discuss this in detail.

I have family that might be part of this history, but there is a lot of lost information.