Author Topic: "Brainbow."  (Read 1721 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Brainbow."
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »
By activating multiple fluorescent proteins in neurons, neuroscientists

at Harvard
University have developed a method to image the brain and nervous
 system
in a
plethora of colors dubbed a "Brainbow."

http://harvardscience.harvard.edu/node/7662

Seamus

Re: "Brainbow."
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:42 PM »

at Harvard
 system
in a

Hahaha...   Those silly scientists... 

Wouldn't it be cool if this led to something amazing tho..   I mean, who would have thought of using magnets to take pictures... 'till some scientist DID.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »

at Harvard
 system
in a

Hahaha...   Those silly scientists... 

Wouldn't it be cool if this led to something amazing tho..   I mean, who would have thought of using magnets to take pictures... 'till some scientist DID.

This tecnique added to others may improve our understanding of the way the brain works or fails , likely improeing therapy for disease ,eventually ,perhaps allowing therapy to improve the normal. 

Implants in the brain are already being used to cure certain sorts of deafness could humanity be merged with machinery to produce super thinkers , or super soldiers?

Once we know how , how could we avoid doing this?

Seamus

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:41:12 PM »

This tecnique added to others may improve our understanding of the way the brain works or fails , likely improeing therapy for disease ,eventually ,perhaps allowing therapy to improve the normal. 

Implants in the brain are already being used to cure certain sorts of deafness could humanity be merged with machinery to produce super thinkers , or super soldiers?

It IS exciting.  You should know I am a proponent of stem cell research and whatnot.  I believe that there is too much good to be gained by these studies to warrant NOT doing them because of some peoples ethical issues.  (Was that sentence English?)

But like you said, once the cat is out of the bag...  Once we learn how to work the brain like we do, say, a car engine or CPU, what is to keep us from altering it to suit twisted ends.  Very good point.

Well... my first thought would be oversight.  Have people who are IN the fields of research monitoring and reporting, to us laymen, what's going on. 

Other than that... Hmmm...  I can really see different governments using this technology in...   less than wholesome ways.   Maybe we couldn't avoid it!   Is this the crux of peoples dissent with stem cell research?  The ends may actually be bad for us?  Hmmm...  I'd like to really think about this topic some more...

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:44:19 PM »

It IS exciting.  You should know I am a proponent of stem cell research and whatnot.  I believe that there is too much good to be gained by these studies to warrant NOT doing them because of some peoples ethical issues.  (Was that sentence English?)

But like you said, once the cat is out of the bag...  Once we learn how to work the brain like we do, say, a car engine or CPU, what is to keep us from altering it to suit twisted ends.  Very good point.

Well... my first thought would be oversight.  Have people who are IN the fields of research monitoring and reporting, to us laymen, what's going on. 

Other than that... Hmmm...  I can really see different governments using this technology in...   less than wholesome ways.   Maybe we couldn't avoid it!   Is this the crux of peoples dissent with stem cell research?  The ends may actually be bad for us?  Hmmm...  I'd like to really think about this topic some more...

No one is against stem cell research.

Seamus

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »

Huh?  I just googled "anti stem cell research" and got lots of people who find it ethically wrong.  I don't, but they do...  You have me confused now. 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »
I just googled "anti stem cell research" and got lots of people who find it ethically wrong.  I don't, but they do...  You have me confused now. 

Hmmm, I just did the same thing, and the entire first page is a bunch of links to pages where they're discussing about how others are against stem cell research.

Perhaps you can present an example of a web page where the author or group is against doing the research?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Seamus

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »
I just googled "anti stem cell research" and got lots of people who find it ethically wrong.  I don't, but they do...  You have me confused now. 

Hmmm, I just did the same thing, and the entire first page is a bunch of links to pages where they're discussing about how others are against stem cell research.

Perhaps you can present an example of a web page where the author or group is against doing the research?

I'll see if I can find some...   I'm pretty sure there was even legislation outlawing it written up...  I'm off to run an errand or four but will look when I get back.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:27:39 PM »

Huh?  I just googled "anti stem cell research" and got lots of people who find it ethically wrong.  I don't, but they do...  You have me confused now. 

That is just my statement , I have confidence that I can back it up. There is no reason for anyone to be against research in stem cells . There may be sme fantastic therapys discovered seing stem cells.

I 'm against destroying a person to get her stem cells , but that is about the only thing I object to.

Seamus

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »

Back from my errands and I've been googlin' my heart out.  Guess what I found...  Very little!

There are SOME people that are critical of embryonic stem cell research as it come to cloning.  But even those people admit we have a lot to gain, and as long as we're not...  taking them from viable sources...  You know what I mean...  Then everyone seem to be okay with it.  I still don't care for blanket statements like "No one is against Stem Cell Research."  because there ARE some that don't care for it.  But most of the SENTIENT people in the world agree it's very promising.