Author Topic: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless  (Read 24110 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
Yea, I am.  As a parent, I'm intimate with the family, their idiosyncrasies, what's "normal", and what "isn't quite right"

So how do you act on that intuition? When behavior isn't quite right and doesn't fit the norm?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
It's based on knowing them intimately, in determining what "isn't right", and subsequent appropriate follow-up.  I have no business claiming someone seek help without knowing the person, or at least have an extremely good relationship with them.  Otherwise its extremely inappropriate if supposedly "sincere", and a crack if not
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »
Nonsense. I have been reading your posts for 10+ years. You think that you don't pick up patterns over that time. Besides I thought you were moving on, don't see why you are obsessing over a simple suggestion. Have the last word, another pattern, btw.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
And yet you
a) asked a question, and then another question.......I guess I'm not supposed to answer?
b) fail to identify what pattern is off, to come to some conclusion that something "isn't quite right"
c) don't know me near as much as you think you do, which is why your latest effort was indeed a crack vs something supposedly sincere.  When we've mended fences, so that I may then take you as being sincere with counseling recommendations, vs some crack that it was

Yea, I think we're done....unless of course you're going to ask more questions I'm not supposed to answer.  Now if you really need the last word, then I'd recommend not to ask any more questions here
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »
When we've mended fences, so that I may then take you as being sincere with counseling recommendations, vs some crack that it was

When was that? What fences needed mending?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
So more questions, I guess we're not done.  The fence of respect and, at least for me, friendship, even if it only existed over these internet chat forums.  I greatly respected you, and still respect the hard work you provide in trying to keep the saloon running.  Cudos on that effort

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »
So more questions, I guess we're not done.  The fence of respect and, at least for me, friendship, even if it only existed over these internet chat forums.  I greatly respected you, and still respect the hard work you provide in trying to keep the saloon running.  Cudos on that effort
So what made you think fences needed mending?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
I think I just answered that one above, already....but I can type it again....The fence of respect and, at least for me, friendship.  Can we be done now?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
No. So specifically this mending took place by whom and  how, and no you didn't answer why you thought fences need mending, you simply named the fences.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
I'll leave the attempted microsemanticanalysis for another time.  I answered what fences, as in those are the ones that needed mending before I can consider some of your "health" recommendations as sincere once again, vs the cracks that they currently are.  Hoping they can be mended at some point.  Only time will tell

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
I'll leave the attempted microsemanticanalysis for another time.  I answered what fences, as in those are the ones that needed mending before I can consider some of your "health" recommendations as sincere once again, vs the cracks that they currently are.  Hoping they can be mended at some point.  Only time will tell

So you have nothing? A simple declaration that can not be questioned? Hmmm.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »
I am sure that any woman can get an abortion somewhere at any time she chooses. I would never interfere. I see this as her business and none of my own. I see this as the way that human beings are obviously designed.

Therefore, we are really talking about how sirs and Plane and whoever think the government should CONTROL the lives of women too poor to go to that place.

The whole idea of jailing doctors and poor women for managing their own lives as they see fit is repugnant to me.

This makes no sense to me.
If a woman were strangleing her sixteen year old child you would be OK with that?
Where you see a clear difference , I see an artificial distinction.

The respect for human life generally is harmed by this across our entire society.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
You are simply weird.

Again a fetus is not a person.It is not up to you to decide whether someone else reproduces or not.

You want to jail a pregnant woman? You want to jail doctors?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »
You are simply weird.

Again a fetus is not a person.It is not up to you to decide whether someone else reproduces or not.

You want to jail a pregnant woman? You want to jail doctors?

There is no reason to call you a person , that would not apply just as well to yourself three months before you were born.

Jailing some Doctors might work, but only if the sentences are quite long.
Jailing Pregnant women probly isn't happening, but better contraception might be.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
Sorry you have to be BORN to be a person. You have to hatch to be a chicken or a turtle or whatever.

Rich women can always get safe and effective abortions, anyway.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."