Author Topic: Tough choices ahead for Bush  (Read 1515 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tough choices ahead for Bush
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:57:22 AM »
The Right Coalition
Which bipartisanship will Bush choose?

BY NEWT GINGRICH
Thursday, November 16, 2006

The election results pose two enormous strategic choices for America. First, the obvious outcome of a Democratic-controlled Congress and a Republican White House is the need for bipartisan cooperation in order to get anything done. The key question is: Which kind of bipartisanship will emerge? Will there be a Ronald Reagan approach to bipartisanship which appeals to the conservative majority of the House? Or will there be an establishment bipartisanship which cuts deals between liberals and the White House? Second: Will the departure of Donald Rumsfeld and his replacement by Robert Gates lead to a tactical effort to minimize the difficulties of Iraq, or to a fundamental rethinking of the larger threats to American safety?

These two choices are strikingly interrelated. An establishment bipartisanship between the White House and liberal congressional leaders will almost certainly make it necessary to focus narrowly on how to minimize difficulties in Iraq and postpone consideration of the larger threats to America for the remainder of this and into the next presidency. By contrast, a conservative bipartisanship that knits together the House Republicans and the Blue Dog Democrats into a floor majority, working with a White House that emphasizes popular issues at the grassroots, would make it much easier to focus on the larger threats to American safety. (Such a bipartisanship could stress making the cap gains tax cut permanent; controlling set-asides and discretionary spending; oversight on failing bureaucracies and waste; English as the language of government; and biofuels as part of an energy policy.)

How these bipartisanship choices are made will do a great deal to define our government and politics for the next few years. Each strategy cross-pressures a different part of the House and Senate. Each requires some members to choose between their loyalty to their values and those held by their districts on the one hand and their party leadership on the other.

A liberal establishment strategy will almost certainly split the GOP and lead to a grassroots rebellion against the kind of policies which a Pelosi-Reid alliance would force on the White House. House Republicans would find themselves split again and again as their leadership cooperated with Nancy Pelosi to bring forward liberal legislation. Conservative senators would find themselves blocking and filibustering liberal legislation brought forward by the Senate establishment Republican leadership and Harry Reid. Their supporters at home would be angrily insistent on active opposition to a liberal establishment legislative agenda.

On the other hand, a conservative populist grassroots strategy would almost certainly make daily interactions with liberal leaders more confrontational as they found themselves nominally chairing committees but losing votes on the floor and having their initiatives rejected by a conservative grassroots coalition. With a conservative populist grassroots strategy it is the 44 Blue Dog Democrats who would find themselves cross-pressured. In the House, some 54 Democrats won by claiming they were much more conservative than Nancy Pelosi, and much more conservative than the San Francisco values she represents. Here, they would be forced to choose between their voters back home and the promises made to them during the campaign, and their leadership.

Ironically, the very nature of the Democratic victory makes it possible to re-establish the conservative Democrat and House Republican coalition which made the Reagan legislative victories of 1981-82 possible. Tip O'Neill was the liberal Democratic speaker when Reagan became president, but he did not have a liberal majority in the House. Yet despite a seemingly liberal Democrat lock in a 242-192 majority, they lost control of the floor on the most important bill of Reagan's first term. His tax cuts were initially passed 238-195 with 48 Democrats splitting from the leadership and siding with Reagan and the GOP. The final passage of the conference report passed 282-95, with a 113-vote Democratic majority siding with Reagan and only 95 liberal democrats voting "no."

I was a sophomore during this exciting Reagan first term and I learned from him the art of appealing to the American people to win votes in Washington. When we passed welfare reform in 1996, the Democrats split 98 "yes" and 98 "no." When we passed the Balanced Budget Act of 1997, the Democrats split 153 "yes" and only 52 diehard liberals voted "no."

If President Bush decides to govern as President Reagan did, he will work to unify the Blue Dog Democrats with the Republicans to win a handful of very large victories while accepting a constant barrage of unhappiness from the liberal leadership. That is what conservative bipartisanship is like.
If on the other hand, President Bush decides on an establishment strategy of cooperating with the liberal leadership, he will guarantee splitting his own party and will see his legacy drift further and further to the left as the Pelosi-Reid wing of their party demands more and more concessions.

This choice of which strategy to follow domestically has an enormous implication for national security. A liberal coalition will focus narrowly on Iraq and seek to avoid thinking about the scale of threat we face internationally. A conservative bipartisan coalition will look first to the larger threat to American security and will then seek to find solutions in Iraq to strengthen American security. It is hard to see how a liberal coalition will be able to look at the larger threats to our safety, even when the threat, articulated in this warning by Vice Admiral Patrick Walsh, is clear: "What we are talking about today is an ideology that thrives on murder, intimidation and fear. It puts innocent people at risk, particularly those in open societies. What we are talking about are people who worship death itself."

Thus the decision about which bipartisanship to pursue with regard to a legislative agenda and the Iraq war becomes for the Bush administration a decision about how safe and how prosperous America will be under divided government.

http://opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110009251
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Tough choices ahead for Bush
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:13:49 PM »
Trent Lott and Newt Gingrich. Wow, is this the amazing rebirth of the Republican Party? Seriously, were Jesse Helms and Phil Gramm unavailable? (a joke)

Such a bipartisanship could stress making the cap gains tax cut permanent; controlling set-asides and discretionary spending; oversight on failing bureaucracies and waste; English as the language of government; and biofuels as part of an energy policy.

Capital gains tax cuts are a benefit to the wealthiest, why make them permanent and have the rest of Americans fill the revenue gap to pay for things such as the war in Iraq?

Discretionary spending control is theoretically done through the budget process. Why wouldn't this be done already?

Failing bureaucracies and waste is the age old political line that is typically meaningless in the grand scheme of the budget process. What specific waste? What bureaucracy? Do you know how government functions? Do you know what bureaucracy is?

English as the language of government

A waste of the Congress' time (ironically right after Newt talks about waste). How much of Federal Government business is conducted in a different language? Do you have a percentage?

and biofuels as part of an energy policy

Already promised by the Democrats, including those evil sinister liberals that Newt reviles. They don't need a coalition with Republicans to pass it, just a discussion with Bush.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
Trent Lott and Newt Gingrich. Wow, is this the amazing rebirth of the Republican Party? Seriously, were Jesse Helms and Phil Gramm unavailable? (a joke)

Gotta problem with GOP success, when it focuses on conservative principles?  Never mind, my guess is "yes", you do

Capital gains tax cuts are a benefit to the wealthiest, why make them permanent and have the rest of Americans fill the revenue gap to pay for things such as the war in Iraq?

Capital Gains tax cuts help out EVERYONE who pay such taxes, which then allows them to put more of their money back into the companies and/or economy = more jobs, more taxable items purchased, more money into the Fed, which then can pay for BOTH the war and such "revenue gaps"

Discretionary spending control is theoretically done through the budget process. Why wouldn't this be done already?

Hey, I've been criticising the GOP since the get go, spending like drunken dems.  It was Gingrich's republicans that actually were able to demonstrate so,me substantive fiscal discipline & responsibility

Failing bureaucracies and waste is the age old political line that is typically meaningless in the grand scheme of the budget process. What specific waste? What bureaucracy? Do you know how government functions? Do you know what bureaucracy is?

I'm not privvy to specifics Js.  Needless to say, my intimate workings with medicare demonstrates a mountain of waste.  The bureacracy that keeps getting layered is literally driving Physical therapists away from organizations & Hospitals that primarily, if not totally accept Medicare patients.  I know a certain amount of bureacracy is necessary.  The bureacrcy employed by the Fed is detrimental, when not destructive. 

English as the language of government
A waste of the Congress' time (ironically right after Newt talks about waste). How much of Federal Government business is conducted in a different language? Do you have a percentage?

Perfect example of waste, when the government has to pay that much extra for the same forms, but in multiple languages.  Ironic how you're completely missing the point Newt was trying to make.

and biofuels as part of an energy policy

Already promised by the Democrats, including those evil sinister liberals that Newt reviles. They don't need a coalition with Republicans to pass it, just a discussion with Bush.

See above Irony
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »
Gotta problem with GOP success, when it focuses on conservative principles?

I've got a problem with a politician who expresses point blank racism and speaks to the CCC, no matter what party they represent. If that is "conservative principles" then you can have them. If that is the path to success for a party, then count me out.

Capital Gains tax cuts help out EVERYONE who pay such taxes

So, in your view a dollar earned by a man working at a factory producing a widget is worth less than a dollar "earned" by a man who is selling real estate or divesting stock? Oh yes, that is an impressively progressive view.

Hey, I've been criticising the GOP since the get go, spending like drunken dems.

So what would you cut?

I'm not privvy to specifics Js.

So you want accountability and transparency, but less paperwork and less bureacracy? What will auditors work with? What will lawyers work with when people like the Frist family defraud Medicare? I know you've said "some is necessary" yet the more privatisation, accountability, and transparency the people clamor for, the more bureacracy necessary to make sure nothing is done illegally.

Perfect example of waste, when the government has to pay that much extra for the same forms, but in multiple languages.  Ironic how you're completely missing the point Newt was trying to make.

I'm not missing the point at all, you are. How much, as a percentage, of government business is done in another language? Keep in mind that a certain amount of State Department business is necessarily done in foreign languages (and will be even with a new law). This would be a showpiece bill, but by all means rally around it and lose more Hispanic votes.

This shows me that you have little idea how the government functions, but are throwing out the perfunctory statements in praise of Newt. Looking back does not equal moving forward.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.