Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 3468 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
All of this is untrue. As a matter of fact, I know of no portable TVs without a digital receiver.

The AC/DC/battery powered black and white portable we keep for emergencies is almost 30 years old, and has knob tuners for VHF and UHF. I doubt any part of it is digital.

Guess I should have said "recent portable TVs" or "portable TVs currently being sold." Both of those would have been more correct. But you should have been able to figure it out, since Kimba made the claim that no portable TVs currently being sold are digital, when in fact AFAIK they all are digital.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:04:16 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
But you should have been able to figure it out...

Oh, I knew what you meant.

Still gonna hate having to get a new portable TV, though. Got a lot of good service out of that one.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
wow
 that`s cool
honestly,I never expected a digital portable to be made so soon
the price is not bad
 and about the regular sets still working
about the majority of people I know has them.
remember unlike the current models these thing are design to last.
all my sets are at least 15 yrs old and still working fine
it`s just more tricky to install new devides on them.
I have to route everything throught the vcr,since the tv doesn`t have those connectors
I have a theory most of the olds sets replaced were still working when they got chucked.
unlike most machines a tv set is a seriously reliable machine.
strangely I have no confidance these new models are that good though
could be because every sale person said your not expected have a tv for tens years anymore.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 01:48:03 PM »
could be because every sale person said your not expected have a tv for tens years anymore.

===========================================
I seriously doubt if most salespeople know a thing about this at all.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
Here's to 2008.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

:)

Cynthia

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »
Happy New Year 2008 everyone! I'm away on a mini vacation, as New Year's Day was my birthday. Touch base with you all soon.

Good year ahead, I feel it! My New Year's wish to all.....

Struggles will probably continue to be strikingly complex, however; but if we ignite a more creative side of life through art and music, there should be brighter days ahead.

Cindy

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 05:25:40 AM »
As I understand it, analog signals are not the only problem.  The signals will be digital, and they will not be broadcast on the current frequencies.  That is to say, your TV will not work because the channels you can get ON THE AIR will no longer be used for public broadcasting.  This does not affect you if you get cable, but it does affect those of us who chose not to pay for TV service.  Right now, I get analog signals on the VHF and UHF frequencies my local stations use.  In a year, those signals will stop.

Digital converters will allow televisions to receive digital signals through the air, and then convert them for use on conventional TVs.  (I imagine this will be similar to the way a cable box works now.)  The signals will NOT come in on the standard VHF/UHF stations we are used to, but with a converter that will not be an issue.  Without a converter, your old TV will be useless except to play videos and DVDs on.

What WILL be an issue, however, is the difference between digital and analog signals.   With analog signals, if you get a poor signal you get "snow" or other picture problems.  That is annoying, but at least you still get to see the show.  With digital signals, you will either get a perfect picture or none at all.  If you have an unobstructed line of sight from the tower, your signal will be correct, otherwise, you will get no picture.  Having seen a lot of technoglitches with the increasing use of digital technology, I suspect there will be a lot of video-audio sync problems and the like.  But theoretically digital signals are an all-or-nothing proposition.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »
Happy New Year 2008 everyone! I'm away on a mini vacation, as New Year's Day was my birthday. Touch base with you all soon.

Good year ahead, I feel it! My New Year's wish to all.....

Struggles will probably continue to be strikingly complex, however; but if we ignite a more creative side of life through art and music, there should be brighter days ahead.

Cindy

Happy birthday!

As for a good year ahead, I think it's all what we make of it.

At least I hope that's the case - I read my new year horoscope in the newspaper in Jordan, and it said that I was going to have no money, have no luck in business or employment, lose all of my friends, have disasterous family problems, and suffer from heart, lung and intestinal problems. (Seriously - that's what it said. LOL.)

Cynthia

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
Henny!!
Oh my gosh!
Well, perhaps that's your horoscope April fools joke.
You'll have a great year..."as great as we make it" is right on...My friends just returned from Jordan. Gorgeous photos were taken, indeed. They spent months in the area and visited the Holy Land.

Thank you for the B-day wish!

So tonight is the Iowa big wingdig!
In fact they start in about an hour!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:06:42 PM by Cynthia »