Author Topic: McCain's plan to deal with crime  (Read 1778 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
McCain's plan to deal with crime
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/a-surge-on-the.html
      McCain called them tactics "somewhat like we use in the military."

"You go into neighborhoods, you clamp down, you provide a secure environment for the people that live there, and you make sure that the known criminals are kept under control," he said.  "And you provide them with a stable environment and then they cooperate with law enforcement."

The ABC News blog says it sounds a lot like the surge in Iraq. I'm thinking it sounds a lot like a police state. Yet another reason I have no intention of voting for McCain.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: McCain's plan to deal with crime
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
Is this reserved for problem spots?

Can a neighborhood be ubgraded by this to needing less policing over time?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »

Possibly. I'm sure once the people learn to obey, they can be left with only a minimal police presence.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »

Possibly. I'm sure once the people learn to obey, they can be left with only a minimal police presence.
This gives me mixed feelings.

How can I ensure that the law never disagrees with what I think is right, enough to never mind clean up squads in my neighborhood?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »

How can I ensure that the law never disagrees with what I think is right, enough to never mind clean up squads in my neighborhood?

Wrong question. How can you ensure never disagreeing with what the police think is right enough to never mind them doing whatever they think is necessary to clean up your neighborhood?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »
Been thinking , we can learn or relearn from the Iraqis.

Militias used to be a neighborhood feature here too , how did we outgrow the amateur policing we used to have and could we get it back?

Neighborhood watch is the right kind of thing , but it needs more compulsion and more bite.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

Wrong question. How can you ensure never disagreeing with what the police think is right enough to never mind them doing whatever they think is necessary to clean up your neighborhood?

The police above all people should be subject to the law , and the law should be written with this in mind , exceptions to this should be publicly debated .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »

Neighborhood watch is the right kind of thing , but it needs more compulsion and more bite.

More compulsion and more bite? You mean like snitching on one's neighbors and having them arrested?

The police above all people should be subject to the law , and the law should be written with this in mind , exceptions to this should be publicly debated .

Exceptions to the police being subject to the law should be publicly debated? Aren't you kind. Yes, I am sure debating how not to get in the way of the police doing their jobs will be most effective in assuring a lack of police abuse of powers. Kinda like how middle of the night no-knock raids and practically blindly firing rounds into a house is always the correct thing for police to do because they have to protect themselves.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:39:59 PM »

More compulsion and more bite? You mean like snitching on one's neighbors and having them arrested?

Exceptions to the police being subject to the law should be publicly debated? Aren't you kind. Yes, I am sure debating how not to get in the way of the police doing their jobs will be most effective in assuring a lack of police abuse of powers. Kinda like how middle of the night no-knock raids and practically blindly firing rounds into a house is always the correct thing for police to do because they have to protect themselves.

What the public complains about should be an important matter and taken to the scales , if there is demand for more strictness it should not be ignored , neither should demands for greater liberty.

Most of the time both of these complaints are happening at once , if the debate is free the scales to weigh them can be fair.

Then the law should be changed in accordance with the will of the people.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
Gosh, Plane, I thought you were ok with DC "surge".  Was I mistaken?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »
I agree with McCain.

Take back the urban areas.

Do it to stop global warming.

Do it to improve the schools.

Do it for the children.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »
Gosh, Plane, I thought you were ok with DC "surge".  Was I mistaken?

I would hate to live through it.

It is justified if it is the best alternative.

What is the other alternative?