Author Topic: Ron Paul argument to liberals from a liberal  (Read 740 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ron Paul argument to liberals from a liberal
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
Over at CounterPunch, liberal and political scientist Jeff Taylor makes an argument why Ron Paul can be appealing to even hardcore liberals.

http://www.counterpunch.org/taylor01022008.html
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ron Paul argument to liberals from a liberal
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »
While I like some of what Ron Paul has said, my major problem is the entire idea that "less is better."

When it comes to cutting the government, the poor are the ones who really get stung 99% of the time. Rudy Giuliani made a statement as mayor of New York City that "everyone would have to sacrifice as the necessary cuts were made in services so that New Yorkers could stand on their own."

The reality was not anywhere close to that. It was the poor in the South Bronx and other slum areas of the city that made sacrifices. Sacrifices that they already could not afford to make. Moreover, the idea was not a new one, Giuliani had simply continued what had been done for the last fifteen years. 1. Don't disrupt the wealthy because you need them. 2. Don't bugger the middle class because they are the sacred cow of voting groups. 3. So piss on the poor as they don't vote, nor do they have any money hence they are powerless to do anything about it.

I'm not saying Paul thinks that way. I don't think he does. But, he will have to deal with a lot of politicians and a public who do. Therein lies my problem.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.