Author Topic: The Same God?  (Read 3617 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Same God?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »
That is easy. "Do unto others as ye would have others do unto you."

Would that also be the distilled primary  tenet of the other major religions?

===================================================
It might be considered A major tenet, perhaps not the major tenet. I doubt that there is one major tenet.

In China and Japan, the tenet that is most effective is "Do nothing that would shame your worthy ancestors".

Americans are not impressed by this, mostly. Some brag about their horse-thieving great grandpaws.

Statistically, for one person to preserve the jhonor of the proud name of Wu makes far less sense than doing the same for the proud name of  Greenblatt, Lipschitz, Onassis,  Perkins, Martin or Higgenbottom. But the Wus do not see it in this manner, despite the fact that there are hundreds of clans of unrelated Wus scattered all over the Middle Kingdom.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »
It might be considered A major tenet

Common ground, then. And the rest is blurred by branding of that tenet.

Richpo64

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
>>Whose crimes can we blame Richpo for? I am thinking Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Franciso Franco, Perez Jimenez, Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, 'Papa Doc' Duvalier, Chaing Kai Shek, Syngman Rhee, and Lon Nol.<<

lmao!

You have a seriously deficient knowledge, about everything really, but in this case in particular you steaming pile of pig shit.

Hitler was one of yours asshole, as Mussolini, and the biggest killers of the twentieth century would love you and your Communist hate mongering. AT LEAST 60 million people's deaths are because of people like JS and yourself. And you trot out some tinhorned dictators,  some of which fought AGIANST the murderers you love.

Good lord but you people are twisted morons.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »

Common ground, then. And the rest is blurred by branding of that tenet.

There might be some blurring by branding, but you seem to be attempting to severely oversimplify the issue. Is there common ground? Yes. Are they all really the same? No. The whole Jesus as the Son of God come to Earth to be a sacrifice for the sins of man, that is a pretty important detail in the Christian faith. Seems to me, overlooking things like that to try to claim all religions are the same would be the blurring part.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 06:42:59 PM »
The whole Jesus as the Son of God come to Earth to be a sacrifice for the sins of man, that is a pretty important detail in the Christian faith

My point exactly. That is the differentiation of the Christian Brand. That separates it from Islam, Judaism and the rest.

But the higher message, to love one another , to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, is the universal common denominator. And that seems to be lost in the cacophony of more taste, less filling.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »
Religion seems to have devolved into brand wars.

If you could distill the message of Christ into one sentence what would it be?

One sentance out of context is a bumper sticker.

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

It looks diffrent when one hears it along with the question it answers.

16Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
 17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

18"Which ones?" the man inquired.

Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[d] and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'[e]"

20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"

21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
You see, Richpo, I find it absurd that you would blame JS for Stalin's crimes and you thing this is okay. Hence I mentioned that because of your various wacko ratwing beliefs, that blaming you for the crimes of ratwing wackos might cause you to slow your pace along the trail, and to ponder the though a bit.

But I was wrong. You are not at all clever at recognizing irony or satire.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:57 PM »
The whole Jesus as the Son of God come to Earth to be a sacrifice for the sins of man, that is a pretty important detail in the Christian faith

My point exactly. That is the differentiation of the Christian Brand. That separates it from Islam, Judaism and the rest.

But the higher message, to love one another , to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, is the universal common denominator. And that seems to be lost in the cacophony of more taste, less filling.

How a person should behave has been addressed by philosophy , but why a person should care is adressed by religion. The way to deal withthecertainty of death and the hope of afterlife   isn't really philosophical  , but it is needed .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 07:14:36 PM »
How a person should behave has been addressed by philosophy , but why a person should care is adressed by religion. The way to deal withthecertainty of death and the hope of afterlife   isn't really philosophical  , but it is needed .

Well Summized, Plane     *golf clap*
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 03:24:35 AM »

Again, you're oversimplifying. The part about Jesus as the Son of God come to Earth to be a sacrifice for the sins of man is not, in Christianity, a lesser message than the teaching of loving other people. I'm not trying to argue Christianity is better than all the others. I'm just saying you seem to be trying to strip away details and claim they're all fundamentally the same, when they really aren't.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 12:04:05 PM »
So apparently you prefer Chevy's to Fords.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
So apparently you prefer Chevy's to Fords.

The Church outdates marketing campaigns and automobile marques by over 19 centuries, BT. Other religions outdate that drivel by even longer.

I really find the boiling down of the precepts of faith into the world of branding, product placement, and jungles to be highly insulting.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
I really find the boiling down of the precepts of faith into the world of branding, product placement, and jungles to be highly insulting.

And i find the killing of millions of people through the eons as organized religions fought over market share exasperating. You may not like my analogy, but the underlying foundation of my statement is true.

I have no objections to your embrace of Catholicism. I have no objections to Plane and others embrace of the Bible as the sole source of God and Jesus's teachings. I certainly don't object to adherrants of Islam praying 5 times a day.

I believe we all should be allowed to choose our own path, without external pressure to comply or conform.

And i don't believe you can claim that hasn't happened.