Author Topic: Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam and al Qaida  (Read 1747 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam and al Qaida
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
"Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam and al Qaida" is the headline for the article by Warren P. Strobel with McClatchy Newspapers.

WASHINGTON ? An exhaustive review of more than 600,000 Iraqi documents that were captured after the 2003 U.S. invasion has found no evidence that Saddam Hussein's regime had any operational links with Osama bin Laden's al Qaida terrorist network.

The Pentagon-sponsored study, scheduled for release later this week, did confirm that Saddam's regime provided some support to other terrorist groups, particularly in the Middle East, U.S. officials told McClatchy. However, his security services were directed primarily against Iraqi exiles, Shiite Muslims, Kurds and others he considered enemies of his regime.

The new study of the Iraqi regime's archives found no documents indicating a "direct operational link" between Hussein's Iraq and al Qaida before the invasion, according to a U.S. official familiar with the report.

Whole thing at http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/29959.html.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam and al Qaida
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
"Operational" being the key word.

There were links, many of them, but none tied directly to terrorist attacks.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:39:54 PM »
      Saddam, whose regime was relentlessly secular, was wary of Islamic extremist groups such as al Qaida, although like many other Arab leaders, he gave some financial support to Palestinian groups that sponsored terrorism against Israel.

[...]

A September 2006 report by the Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that Saddam was "distrustful of al Qaida and viewed Islamic extremists as a threat to his regime, refusing all requests from al Qaida to provide material or operational support."

As best I can tell, there were no links of a nature that would have been sufficient to qualify even as partial justification for going to war against Iraq. I'm not arguing here there were no reasons for the war, just that this particular issue would not have been one of them.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
UP just curious, would you support going to war with countries with a link to al Qaida?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »
As best I can tell, there were no links of a nature that would have been sufficient to qualify even as partial justification for going to war against Iraq. I'm not arguing here there were no reasons for the war, just that this particular issue would not have been one of them.

Both Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden supported Ansar al Islam - an anti-Kurdish al Qaida offshoot group.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »

Both Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden supported Ansar al Islam - an anti-Kurdish al Qaida offshoot group.

Works for me.  Not to mention the plethora of indirect links
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Rich

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
>>Works for me.  Not to mention the plethora of indirect links<<

Personally I think this is bunk. There have been strong links documented to Saddam and Al Qaida. Simply because Saddam's own papers don't mention Al Qaida by name doesn't negate prior investigations and the evidence they produced.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
The real question is whether the link between Al Qaeda and Saddam was in any way significant enough to justify 4,000 dead American troops, 100,000 dead Iraqis, several million refugees and thousands of people maimed for life and driven insane.

That is a really hard case to make.
There were, after all, no WMD's threatening the USA as reported by Juniorbush's faulty intelligence.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

UP just curious, would you support going to war with countries with a link to al Qaida?

That would depend entirely on the nature of link.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »
"That would depend entirely on the nature of link"

So you supported the US invasion of Afghanistan and
continue to support the NATO operation there?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »

So you supported the US invasion of Afghanistan and
continue to support the NATO operation there?

Yes.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »
Thanks UP
A surprise
But I like surprises

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 12:07:25 AM »
I've never been against going after al-Qaeda. They attacked us; they should be hunted down.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »
ok but I just don't see a true libertarian supporting the US
being in Afghanistan for the extended period we have been there.

but I am happy to see you support the operation
i certainly do

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »

ok but I just don't see a true libertarian supporting the US
being in Afghanistan for the extended period we have been there.

Well, let me put it this way, I do wish we had stuck to Afghanistan and seriously focused on tracking down al-Qaeda, rather than start a second front in Iraq. If we had, I think we would likely be through in Afghanistan by now.