Author Topic: It's showtime!  (Read 2638 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It's showtime!
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: It's showtime!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:22:56 PM »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:51:08 PM »
Clinton Rules Redux

by digby

Man are these catty little MSNBC snots enjoying their full-on Demo bitch fest. They are partying like it's 1999. Norah O'Donnell, Lawrence O'Donnell, Mary Ann Akers and some other person I don't know have just spent half an hour discussing the fact that Nancy Pelosi ruined her own honeymoon and now it is really quesionable whether she can lead. Meanwhile, the dirty netroots and Howard Dean must have done something wrong because James Carville is hanging out all the Democratic dirty laundry (while his wife cackles with glee, no doubt) and he wouldn't do that unless there was something to it.

After a thorough discussion of how hapless the Democratic nerds have already proven to be, Mary Ann Akers whispers that reporters all over town are "loving" this story. It's so much fun! All the kidz squealed like schoolgirls at prospect of the merciless going-over they are preparing to give these totalbigfatlosers. ("We're so not being mean or anything cuz they like totally deserve it cuz they just don't get it, ok?")

The spite girls are back in town. It isn't so much a matter of substance. You can argue that talking about the majority leader race is worthwhile and that it says something about Pelosi's leadership style. The Carville sideswipe at Dean is interesting. That's not the problem. It's that the patented 90's style smug, juvenile, derisive Kewl Kidz tone is once again ooozing through everything they say. (I could have sworn I heard the "Friends" theme song in the backround.)

It's as if all these unpleasant events of the last six years never happened and we are back in the days of endless cable bitch-fests filled with sniggering about unauthorized blow jobs and earth tones and "grown-ups" who eat PB&J's and travel with their favorite pillies.

I knew it would happen in one form or another. (We caught a glimpse of it with the John Kerry apology treatment.) The DC press corps hates having to criticize Republicans. Republicans make them feel all icky and call them liberals (which they so, like, aren't!) I confess, however, that I'm a little bit awed by how smoothly they have transitioned back into their assigned roles. I thought there might be a moment or two of cognitive dissonance as they went from grim and serious reports about terrorism and war to shallow personality politics and tabloid character assassination. I assumed they would at least wait until the presidential campaign took off to contrast the manly Republican Alpha with the loser Omega Dem, but I guess I didn't realize how much they've missed their fast times at DC High.

They were certainly enjoying themselves tonight. Rolling their eyes and laughing and even snorting a time or two at the completely absurd sight of Democrats in power. I expected to see Yoohoo spray out of Norah's nose at one point. It was just so, like, awesomely super-fun!

It's worth noting that the last time the House turned over, in 1994, Tom Delay beat Newt Gingrich's handpicked choice for majority leader and somehow the whole town didn't interpret that as Newtie's waterloo. As a matter of fact, the press was giving him such wet slurpy blowjobs they could hardly come up for air.

Bill Clinton, on the other hand, was given five months before TIME put him on the cover as the Incredible Shrinking President saying this:

"While the staff can be blamed for some of the confusion, even his closest advisers insist that Clinton is a big part of the problem. 'A lot of it can't be laid at anyone's doorstep but his own,' said one last week. Democratic Party elders admit to being stunned by Clinton's judgment lately. Having his $200 haircut and allowing a Hollywood producer to work out of a White House office and then intervene on behalf of friends to win White House air-charter business have done serious damage to his public standing. 'The best politician the Democratic Party has turned up in a long time turns out to have a tin ear,' said a longtime friend. 'He has squandered his moral authority with a lot of this stuff. It leads people to say, "This man isn't really a populist; he is a phony, a fraud." And though this perception is completely wrong in substance, it is enormously damaging and has to be dealt with. He has to regain the moral authority to call people to sacrifice.'...If he fails to adjust quickly, he will confirm the widespread belief that the biggest problem with the Clinton presidency is Clinton himself."

There are no honeymoons for Democrats. Remember that. And "moral authority" is about haircuts and Hollywood, not torture and illegal wars. It is not merely a fight against the Republicans or a fight over politics and policy. It is a non-stop battle with the press to cover events with seriousness and responsiblity. For some reason, when Democrats are in power the press corps immediately goes from being merely shallow to insufferable, sophomoric assholes.

The 2006 election was nine days ago and this is what CNN had on their screen today:

These are Clinton rules, folks. Get used to it.

H/T to Media Matters for the screen grab.
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_digbysblog_archive.html#116373868117148083
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:28:38 PM »
There are no honeymoons for Democrats. Remember that.

Not for either party.

After all, before the election people were saying that if any Republicans win, it's because of election fraud.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:39:40 PM »
I'm not into honeymoons. The Democrat majority takes over in January, having convinced the larger part of the American people they can take over and run things better than the Republicans. They have about two months to get their crap together and figure out what they plan to do and how they plan to do it.

Time to fish or cut bait.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »
The Democrat majority takes over in January, having convinced the larger part of the American people they can take over and run things better than the Republicans. They have about two months to get their crap together and figure out what they plan to do and how they plan to do it.  Time to fish or cut bait.

Well topping of their priority list is terrorism?  no.  Immigration reform?  no.  Begin impeachment porceedings for a President that "lied us into war"?  no. 

Of MUCH greater importance is the need to increase the minimum wage.  What size fish would we compare that to?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 06:08:52 PM »
Of MUCH greater importance is the need to increase the minimum wage.  What size fish would we compare that to?
 ===========================================================
The minimum wage used to be a small perch. These days, due to inflation, it has become something more akin to a guppy.

However, I fail to see why there is any benefit in comparing the miinimum wage to seafood of any sort. Perhaps you could elaborate on this possibly nautical topic.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 06:16:02 PM »
The minimum wage used to be a small perch. These days, due to inflation, it has become something more akin to a guppy.  However, I fail to see why there is any benefit in comparing the miinimum wage to seafood of any sort. Perhaps you could elaborate on this possibly nautical topic.

H brought up this "fishy" subject, if you hadn't noticed.   <<I'm not into honeymoons. The Democrat majority takes over in January, having convinced the larger part of the American people they can take over and run things better than the Republicans. They have about two months to get their crap together and figure out what they plan to do and how they plan to do it.  Time to fish or cut bait.>>  I was simply playing along.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 06:21:12 PM »
We don't even get two months, according to the pundits.  Days later, it's "Party in disarray" and crap like that. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 06:26:55 PM »
The Dems haven't even been officially sworn in yet and it's already time to start saying they aren't doing anything?

Sheesh.

Leahy today asked Gonzales for his torture papers and announced that he's going to have Laura Ingraham's voter suppression tactics investigated.

There is going to be a lot going on in the first 100 hundred hours after they get sworn in.

Good grief.  Pick on the GOP that wants to ram through Bolton's nomination but can't or won't.  Thank goodness. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 07:13:39 PM »
The Dems haven't even been officially sworn in yet and it's already time to start saying they aren't doing anything?

Who's saying that?  What's beeing said is let's see what they do, given all the rhetoric they supposedly campaigned on.  Please try to keep up.  And I'll give you a hint, mimimum wage wasn't even in the top 10, while on the campaign trail, from what I could tell. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:04:32 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 07:43:26 PM »

Sheesh.

Leahy today asked Gonzales for his torture papers and announced that he's going to have Laura Ingraham's voter suppression tactics investigated.

There is going to be a lot going on in the first 100 hundred hours after they get sworn in.

Good grief.  Pick on the GOP that wants to ram through Bolton's nomination but can't or won't.  Thank goodness. 

So the first thing the Democrats want to do is hike taxes and remove al the manhood from our UN ambassidor.

Uh Hunh....
What other things are they hoping to please our people with?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
Well the stage was set the sun was sinkin’ low down
As they came to town to face another showdown
The lawmen cleared the people from the streets
All you blood-thirsty bystanders, will you try to find your seats?
Watch ‘em Duelin’, Doolin-Dalton, high or low, it’s all the same