Author Topic: Pro Sports and PEDs  (Read 1020 times)

BSB

Pro Sports and PEDs
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »
Something of a disconnect had emerged between my private conversations and the things I wrote for Grantland/ESPN. In essence, I had turned into two people. There's Sports Fan Me, and there's ESPN Me.

Sports Fan Me is candid, jaded, suspicious of everyone. Sports Fan Me repeatedly gets involved in arguments and e-mail chains centered on the question, "Do you think he's cheating?" Sports Fan Me has Googled athletes' heads and jawlines, studied their sizes, then mailed before/after pictures to friends with the subject heading, "CHECK THIS OUT." Sports Fan Me has learned to trust his inner shit detector, to swiftly question any accomplishment that seems extraordinary or superhuman. Sports Fan Me hates that he feels this way, but he does, and there's just no way around it.

ESPN Me sticks his head in the sand and doesn't say anything.

ESPN Me occasionally pushes narratives that he doesn't totally believe in.

ESPN Me didn't have the balls to run two e-mails that you're about to read. They nearly landed in each of my last four mailbags. Each time, I pulled both e-mails (and my responses) from those columns at the last minute.

E-mail no. 1 (from David B. in Concord, North Carolina): "Why isn't anyone questioning Ray Lewis's miraculous recovery from a torn triceps muscle? At age 37, not only did he recover in 10 weeks from an injury that usually takes 6 months minimum for recovery, but, upon returning, he played at a higher level than before he was injured. Are sports 'journalists' incapable of learning from their own mistakes (we JUST HAD both the Baseball HOF vote and Lance admitting to steroid use), or is the sport just bigger than the truth?"

E-mail no. 2 (from Ben Miller in Fort Worth, Texas): "Instead of Beyonce, should we change the Super Bowl halftime show to just Adrian Peterson pissing in a cup at midfield? You just talked about how dumb we all look in hindsight when these super human baseball stars were shattering age-old records. Peterson nearly broke a 28 year old record in one of the most physically-demanding positions in sports less than 12 months after tearing his ACL & MCL!!! Respect the hell out of the guy and love his extreme work ethic, but think about McGwire's 70. Now think about it happening less than 12 months after tearing a pec. We probably call BS even back then at that point. You may want to take a cold shower and then mention it in a column just in case."

Sports Fan Me spent most of November and December debating the Lewis/Peterson topics with friends and coworkers, so Sports Fan Me wanted to run those e-mails. ESPN Me overruled him, believing it was unfair to speculate without any real proof … even though ongoing speculation has become as big a part of sports fandom as purchasing tickets or buying a replica jersey. That's the disconnect.

Before those Miami New Times/Sports Illustrated bombshells dropped this week and we started joking about deer-antler spray, I would have wagered anything that God didn't miraculously heal Ray Lewis's torn tricep. 

Not everyone tests for elevated testosterone. For the leagues or sports that do, they must account for people with naturally elevated levels of testosterone. That threshold is higher than you think because they're accounting for biological outliers — some athletes might naturally have twice as much testosterone as the average person. All right, so let's say you're an NFL player that has to test three times higher than the "average" threshold before getting flagged. Conceivably, you could rely on a controlled amount of HGH, something that bumps you up … just not TOO high. Maybe you jack up your testosterone levels a little under three times higher than they should be. Guess what? That's still legal! Do they have patches that can briefly bump up your levels without prolonged traces? Yes, they do! Did one famous athlete (not an NFL player) use that patch on his testicles to bump his levels close to that threshold, fall asleep, keep his patch on too long and subsequently fail his next test? Yes, he did! It's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

-------------------------

The following anecdote is also 100 percent true …

When Bertrand Berry and Ty Warren suffered a complete tear of their triceps, it took them six months to recover. When Arizona left tackle Levi Brown suffered a complete tear of his triceps in August 2012, the Cardinals immediately put him on their season-ending injured list. When Ray Lewis suffered a complete tear of his triceps in mid-October, we thought he was finished for the season … only he returned to action a little more than two months later. During the third month of his "recovery," he made 17 tackles in a double-overtime playoff game in Denver. In 13-degree weather. At age 37.

the rest at

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Pro Sports and PEDs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
So why is deer antler banned if it provides near miraculous healing qualities?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
Is it something safe to take as if a food?

I don't think athletes need be forbidden beneficial drugs entirely.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:56:14 AM »
Is it something safe to take as if a food?

I don't think athletes need be forbidden beneficial drugs entirely.

Apparently it had no ill effect on Lewis.

BSB

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
Yeah, steroids are like chocolate chip cookies.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
Steroids are used as medicine all the time to cure certain medical problems.

I really doubt that there is a ban on deer antlers.

Athletes should be permitted to take drugs if they have all the facts about the contraindications.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »
The active ingredient in deer antlers is a banned substance for the nfl and i am guessing other sports as well. As far as i know the government hasn't banned it yet.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
While gardening in my yard, I got some nasty little crawly things under my skin called "larval migrans" They itched like Hell. The doctor gave me a pill that eliminated them, but what cleared up the infection they left behind was some steroid. It cured everything in a couple of weeks.

I imagine that the steroids that athletes take are a higher dosage and taken for a longer period. But they are an effective medicine.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »
Athletes are willing to sacrifice their long term health to make themselves faster, stronger for the competition. Would you trade a few of your years for fame and fortune?

That needs to be discouraged, but a zero tolerance policy is a bad idea if it prevents usefull and healing therapy, the policy could get to causing more harm than good.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:33 PM »
I am not in favor of legally prosecuting athletes that used steroids. On the other hand, I am against their use of steroids being hyped in the press because a huge number of wannabee kids could destroy themselves by misusing and overusing steroids.