Author Topic: I Know You Are, But What Am I?  (Read 13052 times)

domer

Re: I Know You Are, But What Am I?
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2007, 01:38:24 AM »
The topic as I introduced it and you responded to it was globilization, not oil dependency, which though intersecting sets are nonetheless keenly distinct concepts.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2007, 01:48:53 AM »
What has shrunk the global arena, what has driven globalization, is energy, cheap energy. Timely delivery of goods produced globally is achieved by this cheap energy. Communications, transport, air travel, electronics all in one way or another involve oil.

domer

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2007, 02:03:01 AM »
It's a stretch to consider communications and electronics as being oil-infused, at least any more than they are oxygen-infused. You manage at virtually every turn to steer a discussion to the petty or the pedantic or the frankly absurd. And most times you accomplish this by mangling the initial premise, even as you recognize its pertinence, as you did here by morphing "globalization," a broad and general category, into "oil-dependency," a less-inclusive subset.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2007, 02:22:12 AM »
It's a stretch to consider communications and electronics as being oil-infused, at least any more than they are oxygen-infused. You manage at virtually every turn to steer a discussion to the petty or the pedantic or the frankly absurd. And most times you accomplish this by mangling the initial premise, even as you recognize its pertinence, as you did here by morphing "globalization," a broad and general category, into "oil-dependency," a less-inclusive subset.

Guilty as charged minus your color commentary. Stay in your comfort zone. Broad and general. It's safer there.

me i'll continue to poke and prod and explore all the tangents of an issue, not just the one you want the world to see.

domer

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:44 AM »
It's not your industriousness that is notable here but your failure at understanding.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2007, 02:35:40 AM »
What precisely are you claiming i fail to understand. try to be specific, broad and general won't cut it.

domer

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2007, 02:38:55 AM »
Isolationism (i.e., butting out) is a strategy that affects the vast sea of international human intercourse, and addressing the oil issue in that context is but a partial, fractional response.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:25 AM »
Isolationism is the opposing pendulum swing to a constant interventionist policy. Oil is but one piece of the puzzle, i don't believe i claimed otherwise. In the middle east it is a large piece, solving that might lead to a larger peace.

Comprende'?

domer

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2007, 03:04:05 AM »
Yes, of course I have. My tentative conclusion is that all other points of intercourse would remain, and they are considerable. I contend that the animus aimed at the US is historically conceived and ideologically driven. Despite a Great Oil Solution, unless you are willing to accept that present US "insinuation" in the Middle East is the causus belli of the terrorists, the problems will persist as well as the need for interface.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2007, 03:19:16 AM »
If we are in the middle east to protect national interests and our national interest in this instance is an unimpeded supply of "cheap" oil and that has been our policy going back to the Carter Doctrine and that along with Israel is what has inflamed the Arab street then yes the great oil solution would be a big part of calming the conflict from the US stand point. Loss of oil revenues might not be such a good thing for countries reliant on petrodollarsand a burgeoning population,leaving Israel as the laser focal point.

The question then becomes with dependence on foreign oil negated does our bargaining position become stronger or weaker with both parties to the primary conflict. Would we be in a better position to extract greater concessions from Tel Aviv? Would we be in a stronger position to protect Israeli soveignty without the fear a distruption in oil supplies would provide?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2007, 06:20:09 AM »
What is stopping you from switching to biodiesel or other alternative energy solution right now?

Does the government need to make it worth your while or is the action on its own merits worth your while?

Well, if you told me that the Government would pay for insulation for my home and/or a solar energy system, etc. I would be at Lowe's tomorrow morning. As it is, I must put up the money and in the case of solar, the payback is at least a decade. Biodiesel? How might I do this?

Go on then , the govrnment is paying as much now as they ever will.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 includes:
Tax Credits for Consumers
Home Improvements
Cars
Solar Energy Systems
Fuel Cells
Tax Credits for Home Builders
Tax Credits for Appliance Manufacturers

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2007, 07:18:06 AM »
It's a stretch to consider communications and electronics as being oil-infused, at least any more than they are oxygen-infused.

Both are heavily reliant on electricity and plastics - in our world, both of those are derived from oil for the most part.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2007, 02:06:56 PM »
What is stopping you from switching to biodiesel or other alternative energy solution right now?

Does the government need to make it worth your while or is the action on its own merits worth your while?

Quoted for mthe link you provided, Plane: "maximum amount of homeowner credit for all improvements combined is $500 during the two year period of the tax credit."

I spit on $500 over two years! Ha!

Well, if you told me that the Government would pay for insulation for my home and/or a solar energy system, etc. I would be at Lowe's tomorrow morning. As it is, I must put up the money and in the case of solar, the payback is at least a decade. Biodiesel? How might I do this?

Go on then , the govrnment is paying as much now as they ever will.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 includes:
Tax Credits for Consumers
Home Improvements
Cars
Solar Energy Systems
Fuel Cells
Tax Credits for Home Builders
Tax Credits for Appliance Manufacturers

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits