Author Topic: Oil depletion allowance  (Read 11961 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Oil depletion allowance
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
What could we do to make Abortion less availible to the rich and poor alike?

========================================================
Being as much of the world does not ban abortion, the key to this would be to inspect all women leaving the country, and deny them the right to leave the country while pregnant.

Then you could impose a death penalty on any woman having an abortion as well as all people aiding and abetting abortionists.

I am sure the Supreme Court would go along with all these actions.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
Why would we deny them the right to leave?  The issue is making it less, not "banning" or "impossible".  No one is claiming a banning of alcohol
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
If a pregnant woman cannot leave the country, she cannot get an abortion out of the country. This is simple to understand.

I am pretty sure that the Court would rule the law unconstitutional, but it this were the law, it would eliminate foreign abortons.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
If a pregnant woman cannot leave the country, she cannot get an abortion out of the country. This is simple to understand.

I am pretty sure that the Court would rule the law unconstitutional, but it this were the law, it would eliminate foreign abortons.

How does taxing elective surgery here, eliminate elective surgery in foreign countries?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »
How does taxing elective surgery here, eliminate elective surgery in foreign countries?

================================================
The issue is how to pass a law in such a way that all women, both rich and poor, be prevented from getting an abportion, ever, anywhere.

The tax would make it impossible to get the abortion in the US.

The law against leaving the country would prevent women with a lot of money from getting the abortion outside the US.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »

Good thing no one even hints of such a notion.  Nice strawman though.  And a tax merely makes it harder...NOT impossible
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »

================================================
The issue is how to pass a law in such a way that all women, both rich and poor, be prevented from getting an abportion, ever, anywhere.

The tax would make it impossible to get the abortion in the US.

The law against leaving the country would prevent women with a lot of money from getting the abortion outside the US.

I don't see how a tax makes it impossible to have elective surgery performed, any more than a tax makes it impossible to purchase cigarettes, alcohol or even go to a tanning salon which Obamacare saw fit to tax instead of liposuction or notox treatments.

If you want the product or service you pay the tax.

It's your choice.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 12:08:37 AM »
Plane's question was "How can we make it harder for the rich and poor alike to have an abortion?"

And that was the question I was answering.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:48:10 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:29 AM »
Plane's question was "How can we make it harder for the richa and poor alike to have an abortion?"

And that was the question I was answering.

I like your answer, but I would strike in the other direction.

Severe penaltys on anyone who commits abortion on viable fetuses , severe enough at least to remove all profit from the enterprise.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 12:48:14 AM »
Severe penalties on anyone who commits abortion on viable fetuses , severe enough at least to remove all profit from the enterprise.

===================================
You can't do this if the abortion was (1) done out of the country and (2) the woman was not verfiably pregnant when she left the country for the abortion.

There is no way to prohibit abortions without putting restrictions on women that cannot be applied to men. That is the problem.

As you know, I don't think that the state has any right whatever to prevent any abortion.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2011, 01:46:10 AM »
Severe penalties on anyone who commits abortion on viable fetuses , severe enough at least to remove all profit from the enterprise.

You can't do this if the abortion was (1) done out of the country and (2) the woman was not verfiably pregnant when she left the country for the abortion.

There is no way to prohibit abortions without putting restrictions on women that cannot be applied to men. That is the problem.

As you know, I don't think that the state has any right whatever to prevent any abortion.

That is why the restriction method will not work. What would work is price of entry.

On the demand side you tax the service. 10% wqs th amount ObamaCare originally wanted to put on liposuction and botox.

On the supply side you license. Including auxiliary staff. What is the going rate for a taxi cab medallion in New York City?

Remember this country is structured on taxes paid by future citizens. There should be an opt out fee to mitigate the loss of future revenues to the state.

And please keep in mind that there are far cheaper alternatives for those who frugally plan ahead.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2011, 02:02:15 AM »
I refuse to talk about this today will respond tomorrow

just seems wrong

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 02:11:57 AM »

I don't see the problem you you do.

I wouldn't mind abortion being forbidden to men also.

http://www.malepregnancy.com/

If you think that the state has an intrest in preventing murder , then thinking that the state has no intrest in preventing abortion is total abandonment of logic .

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2011, 02:17:05 AM »
I refuse to talk about this today will respond tomorrow

just seems wrong

Ah!

it is no longer Mothers day on the east coast.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
If you think that the state has an intrest in preventing murder , then thinking that the state has no intrest in preventing abortion is total abandonment of logic .

==================================
No, it isn't, because a fetus is not a person, therefore abortion is not murder. A person has an absolute right to their own body.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:48:40 PM by Xavier_Onassis »