Author Topic: U.S. Resembling A 'Third-World Country'  (Read 2175 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: U.S. Resembling A 'Third-World Country'
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »
Perhaps it would be best if the government could convince the lender to extend the payment period and lower the interest so the mortgage holder won't get booted out of the house. I agree that people should be very wary of tricky realtors, ARM's and no money down loans. Most of these houses are far fancier than mine, and I don't that some government help could prevent a meltdown of the market, which would be bad for all concerned. I don't think I should have to pay much to bail out people who made seriously stupid decisions.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

Re: U.S. Resembling A 'Third-World Country'
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
Most lenders don't want to foreclose.  They'll make more off of the loan than off of the foreclosure, so (in most cases) they'll work with the borrower to figure something out.  The problem is though, that it's only a matter of time before there's some tax break for ARM holders and lenders, or something similar involving government money.  I'm for letting the market correct itself, then perhaps the banks won't be so hasty to lend on non verified income, and people won't be so hasty to snatch up a zero down ARM.

But that might make sense, so it's probably a no go.