• "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
YES!
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »

CDC: Abortions fall 5%, largest drop in a decade

by Michael Muskal 

November 21, 2012

The rate of abortions in the United States fell by 5%, the largest single-year decrease in a decade, researchers for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

The decline is outlined in the annual abortion surveillance data for the year 2009, the latest available. It was published on Wednesday in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

About 18% of all pregnancies in the United States end in abortion, the CDC noted. Factors from the availability of abortion providers, state laws, the general economy and access to health services including contraception, can all influence the abortion rate, according to the CDC. An important way to reduce abortions is to eliminate unwanted pregnancies.

"Despite these multiple influences, given that unintended pregnancy precedes nearly all abortions, efforts to reduce the incidence of abortion need to focus on helping women avoid pregnancies that they do not desire," the survey states. "Providing women and men with the knowledge and resources necessary to make decisions about their sexual behavior and use of contraception can help them avoid unintended pregnancies."

The CDC has been reporting annually on the number and rate of abortions since 1969. The annual numbers are based on voluntary reports from states and some other municipalities. A few states, such as California, which is the most populous, do not report. That explains why the CDC said there were about 785,000 abortions in 2009, while other estimates put the number at more than 1 million.

To make comparisons possible, the CDC said it used the data from 43 states and two cities that have been reporting the numbers each year for 10 years. Those areas account for 772,630 abortions in 2009, or about 98.5% of the total reported to the federal agency.

The abortion rate for 2009 was 15.1 abortions per 1,000 women of child-bearing years, defined as 15 to 44 years old. The abortion ratio was 227 abortions per 1,000 live births. Those numbers represent a 5% decrease in the total number and rate of abortions from 2008 and  the largest single-year drop during the decade that began in 2000. There was a 2% drop in one year in the abortion ratio, the CDC said.

From 2000 to 2009, the total number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions decreased 6%, 7%, and 8%, respectively, to the lowest levels at the end of the decade, it said.

Mississippi had the lowest abortion rate, at 4 per 1,000 women of child-bearing age. The state also had only a couple of abortion providers and has the nation's highest teen birthrate. New York, second to California in number of abortion providers, had the highest abortion rate, about eight times that of Mississippi.

White women had the lowest abortion rate, at about 8.5 per 1,000 women of child-bearing age, while the rate for African American women was four times larger. Latinas' abortion rate was about 19 per 1,000 women of child-bearing years.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cdc-abortions-fall-5-largest-drop-in-a-decade-20121121,0,3890778.story
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: YES!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:36:45 AM »
Did the childbirth rate go up?

or did the number of candidates from the mean age group of abortion seekers decline?

WOW

Blacks have a very high rate per thousand.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

Mississippi had the lowest abortion rate, at 4 per 1,000 women of child-bearing age. The state also had only a couple of abortion providers and has the nation's highest teen birthrate. New York, second to California in number of abortion providers, had the highest abortion rate, about eight times that of Mississippi.

============================================
The phony Christians would prefer that abortion providers would be closed, so the entire nation can be like Mississippi.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »

============================================
The phony Christians would prefer that abortion providers would be closed, so the entire nation can be like Mississippi.

I would like that too.

Not that it is especially great, only that it is better than we are doing now.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »
Mississippi is at the bottom of everything.

Banning access to abortions is NOT the way to diminish the number of abortions. Making birth control pills and devices more available is the way to do that. When this is not done, then abortion is used as a birth control system.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
I don't see how Mississippi can ban abortions. I can see why only 2 clinics operate in the state as i doubt more than that would provide an adequate return on investment. And that is because Mississippi leads the nation in poverty and is probably one of the more religious states. They seem to lean conservative also. I wonder if the CDC report factors in whether residents cross state lines to obtain abortions.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
I do not object to the distribution of birth controll , I don't even object to government efforts to subsidise and advertise birth controll, nor do I object to Pharmacological companys researching to invent and improve birth controll.

I would like to give special exemption to lawsuit to new birth controll devices , for the first few years such things are to be used at the users informed risk.

But whichever state leads the nation in abortions should envy Mississippi very deeply.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
In thier any data that birth control lowrs the demand for abortions?
Or how many people give up abstinence? I worded it that way since the abistenence folks  refuses to acknowledge ladies getting pregnant while on a abistenence pladge.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
I don't see how Mississippi can ban abortions. I can see why only 2 clinics operate in the state as i doubt more than that would provide an adequate return on investment. And that is because Mississippi leads the nation in poverty and is probably one of the more religious states. They seem to lean conservative also. I wonder if the CDC report factors in whether residents cross state lines to obtain abortions.

There are a lot of Doctors and Nurses who steer clear of abortion.

I read in RN magazine about twenty years ago an article in which the author was surprised that a very strong majority of Nurses wanted to avoid ever assisting an abortion. The author then stated that the minority was plenty to actually do the work.

Mississippi is very likly an unfriendly environment even for such a hugely profitable enterprise , just as easy to open a new clinic where the welcome is less negative and the labor pool is more co-operative. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
The problem is most likely the right wing government of Mississippi. The legislature is filled with Bible thumping fundies. It is the poorest state in the union, so it is probably more profitable to set up an abortion clinic elsewhere.

Mississippi is poor because the biggest cities in the area are not in Mississippi:Memphis and New Orleans. Essentially Mississippi is a sort of economic colony of cities outside the state.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
Or how many people give up abstinence? I worded it that way since the abistenence folks  refuses to acknowledge ladies getting pregnant while on a abistenence pladge.

I would like to have better data than I do.

I have been looking this over for years and I don't mind looking at everything.

But I suspect this data is commonly tweaked, it always favors one side strrongly.
So I am suspicious of the whole pile.
As far as I know , pregnancys while abstenant = one in all history.

Pregnancy after rape is probly less than one for every fifteen rapes , I don't have any data on this at all , but the time that a woman can become pregnant is about three days during her cycle , so assuming that rape occurs evenly on all victims, only about that rate is possible as a worst case.Since rape occurs also to the infertile the rate is probly less.

Effective measures that prevent rape would be welcome to anyone who isn't actually a rapist. I think firearms training for women would be helpfull and perhaps strict punishments for convicted rapists too.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Maybe more
Virgin birth by invitro is viable i remember the pope tried to ban it to prevent such a birth. 15years ago i believe

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »

Compare the abortion rate and teenage pregnancy rate of the Netherlands and the rest of Western Europe to that of the US. Abortions in W. Europe is essentially free,and yet they have fewer, because BC pills and devices are also free.

Or how many people give up abstinence? I worded it that way since the abstinence folks  refuses to acknowledge ladies getting pregnant while on an abstinence pledge.

Abstinence may work for a few, but it is largely ineffective. Using BC is a conscious decision that a woman makes in advance. Having sex is often a spontaneous, emotional thing that is unplanned.

Making abstinence pledges is also more due to emotion than logic. Women do this in a sort of ceremony, surrounded by others making the same pledge. There is peer pressure involved. Then they typically refuse to arrange to have BC available, because that is like deciding to plan to have sex.

The desire to have sex is rarely a logical decision for young people, it is a thing of passion in which logic is excluded.

People rarely say in such fits of passion,"let's make babies."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
Maybe more
Virgin birth by invitro is viable i remember the pope tried to ban it to prevent such a birth. 15years ago i believe

I don't like that idea , but perhaps it shouldn't be banned.

But a woman who wishes to do it should be pretty ready for the disadvantages.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

The desire to have sex is rarely a logical decision for young people, it is a thing of passion in which logic is excluded.

People rarely say in such fits of passion,"let's make babies."

That is not as it should be!
Sex is very enjoyable when it is going well.
But Sex can kill you , in several diffrent ways .
There is really nothing wrong with taking responsibility for your own behavior, even for important elements of life.

By the way , when your wife tells you that she would like to be Pregnant , it is hard to turn her down.