Author Topic: Yeah...I thought that, too.  (Read 2924 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yeah...I thought that, too.
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
Liberals let loose on Palin and Joe the Plumber
By Ruben Navarrette Jr.
Special to CNN

SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- I thought liberals were supposed to be good-hearted, open-minded and non-judgmental.

Tell that to the angry Left's favorite pi?ata, Sarah Palin. As far as liberals are concerned, Palin can do no right just as Barack Obama and Joe Biden can do no wrong. In fact, Biden is catching more passes than an NFL wide receiver.

As Palin herself pointed out in a recent CNN interview, imagine if she had been the one to imply that electing Obama would invite calamity. Biden does it, and the media shrug.

I also thought the Democratic Party was supposed to go to bat for the little guy, the everyday Joe the Plumber.

Tell that to Joe Wurzelbacher, the Ohio resident who got his 15 minutes -- and 40 lashes -- because he dared question Obama about his tax plan. Obama insists that the plan would raise taxes only on those Americans earning more than $250,000 per year. It was then Obama made his clumsy "spread the wealth" comment.

What was Joe thinking: that we live in a democracy where everyday Americans who pay the salaries of elected officials can dare question their policies? That just isn't done.

To prove it, the elites who run the Democratic Party -- along with their surrogates in the media and organized labor -- went after the plumber.

We now know that Samuel Joe Wurzelbacher owes back taxes, doesn't have a plumbing license (he told the Associated Press he doesn't need one because he works for someone else's company), and may not be registered to vote.

Commenting on a CNN.com story, one condescending reader wrote that Joe the Plumber should pipe down and "get back in my bathroom and unclog the toilet."

Even Biden and Obama got in a few licks. Biden quipped to Jay Leno that Democrats wanted to take care of "Joe-the-real-plumber-with-a-license," and Obama sarcastically asked supporters, "how many plumbers do you know making $250,000 a year?" The implication being that Joe the Plumber isn't who he pretends to be.

What worries me is that the Democrats aren't what they pretend to be.

Obama supporters like to talk about how the Democratic presidential nominee has lived the American Dream. So why is it to so hard for them to conceive of a situation where someone dreams of earning more money a few years from now than they earn today. Has Barack Obama consumed all the social mobility this country has to offer, so there isn't any left for the rest of us?

Now, the Obama-Biden boosters have refocused their attention on their earlier irritant, Sarah Palin.

The latest media template is that the vice presidential nominee is a drag on the GOP ticket. Pundits detect a backlash, not just among Democrats who love to hate Sarah Palin but also among women, independents and seniors. They cite polls showing Palin with an unfavorable rating of 50 percent.

So what? We're in the post-Clinton, post-Bush era of polarization where any politician with a pulse -- Sorry, Joe Biden -- will be loved by half the country and hated by the other half.

It's surreal. Before McCain put Palin on the ticket, he was getting 200 people at campaign rallies, and now, when he appears when Palin, he gets 20,000. Yes, definitely a drag. iReport.com: Rock star welcome for Palin in Ohio

McCain oversold it when he said Palin was the most qualified vice presidential candidate in recent history. Better than Dick Cheney? Could she be worse? Obama might have paid Biden the same compliment if his running mate hadn't already told supporters that Hillary Clinton would have been a better choice.

Then there is the faux-scandal that the Republican National Committee shelled out $150,000 in the past several weeks on Palin and her family for campaign wardrobe, accessories, makeup, etc.

Many Americans don't see why it's a story. Fellow hockey mom Page Growney of New Canaan, Conn., asked The Associated Press, "What did you want to see her in, a turtleneck from L.L. Bean?"

Still, we're told, this tempest in a Gucci bag has some Republicans worrying that shopping sprees at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue might undermine Palin's everywoman image. To think, just last month, the criticism was that Sarah the Moose Hunter wasn't sufficiently sophisticated or glamorous. Now her wardrobe signals the hockey mom is high-maintenance.

Just how many more caricatures -- some of them contradictory -- can we expect the left to throw at Sarah Palin before time runs out on this election?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/23/navarrette.liberals/index.html

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Yeah...I thought that, too.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Laughable.

It's surreal. Before McCain put Palin on the ticket, he was getting 200 people at campaign rallies, and now, when he appears when Palin, he gets 20,000. Yes, definitely a drag.

What the author fails to understand is those 20,000 that are showing up, are also the only ones who will be voting for McCain.

If you took a minute to see some of the people who are showing up at these rallies, you'd understand why people are walking away.  McCain has slowly and perhaps, unwillingly, become the KKK's default candidate.

Just try to understand that the majority of Americans are sick and tired of the party of division and dictatorship that the Bush Regime turned the GOP into.  We're tired of people telling us that their religious beliefs trump equality in this country.  We're tired of a small cult of objectivist cultists telling us that America is all about everyone doing what is in their own selfish interests and that's what's good for the world. 

The cultists have brainwashed those of you on the right into arguing about HOW to make the world a better place for everyone so that no one ever gets to actually making the world a better place for everyone because that top 5% knows that if the bottom 95% decides to make the world a better place for themselves, it would mean said top 1% might not be able to buy any more $6000 shower curtains.

And what kind of world would that be?   Sheesh.  How would we know who the important people are?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:24:27 PM »
Oh for Gods sake

If i hear one more person say that a vote against Obama is a vote for racism, I'm going to the bunker.

Is that really the best you guys can do?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »
Oh for Gods sake

If i hear one more person say that a vote against Obama is a vote for racism, I'm going to the bunker.

Is that really the best you guys can do?

Can you point that out where I typed that?

Cause I would never say that even if I wanted to.

You voting for McCain  is not a vote for racism but the fact remains that racist ARE coming out in large numbers for McCain simply because he is white and Obama is BLACK.

Sure, sure, now is when you guys try to pull out the whole "black people are only voting for Obama 'cause he's black" but that is not the same as voting against McCain 'cause he's white and showing up at an Obama rally and yelling "Honky" or "cracker" when Obama mentions McCain's name.

And you, sir, know that is a fact if you still have any shred of objectivity left in you this close to election day.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
Last i heard racists of all colors are still allowed to vote. Who they vote for is their business.

Perhaps you have missed it. As of this moment i am voting for neither major candidate. fast is I don't trust either of them.

Sure, sure, now is when you guys try to pull out the whole "black people are only voting for Obama 'cause he's black" but that is not the same as voting against McCain 'cause he's white

Why not?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »
Last i heard racists of all colors are still allowed to vote. Who they vote for is their business.

Perhaps you have missed it. As of this moment i am voting for neither major candidate. fast is I don't trust either of them.

Sure, sure, now is when you guys try to pull out the whole "black people are only voting for Obama 'cause he's black" but that is not the same as voting against McCain 'cause he's white

Why not?

I already said.

Sure, sure, now is when you guys try to pull out the whole "black people are only voting for Obama 'cause he's black" but that is not the same as voting against McCain 'cause he's white and showing up at an Obama rally and yelling "Honky" or "cracker" when Obama mentions McCain's name.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »
<<Perhaps you have missed it. As of this moment i am voting for neither major candidate. fast is I don't trust either of them. >>

Well, I sure as hell missed it.  What's your problem with McCain?  What don't you trust him on?  Won't stay any more than 100 years in Iraq?  Wants to cut and run in 2108?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
I already said.

No you didn't. Are you saying black voters are not voting for Obama because he is black? If that is the case he should be polling around the 88 percentile among black voters.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
What's your problem with McCain?

I'm not comfortable with his motivation for McCain Feingold.

I liken it to a celebrity holding a charity fundraiser to get out of jail time for a drug bust.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
I already said.

No you didn't. Are you saying black voters are not voting for Obama because he is black? If that is the case he should be polling around the 88 percentile among black voters.

It could be that black voters are voting for Obama 'cause he's black, but it is because they finally have gotten that opportunity.

A lot of McCain voters are voting AGAINST Obama 'cause he's black and they don't want anyone to ever have that opportunity.

I'm not saying ALL McCain voters are voting for that reason.  Not by a longshot.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
With the exception of the first ten paragraphs, which are just setting up a strawman to knock it down - I generally agree. I think a lot of the criticism of Governor Palin has been ludicrous.

I understand it, in a Machiavellian manner it makes perfect sense. They have no need to address Palin on issues when they can simply attack her on non-issues. More to the point, there is a perception that Palin is an idiot (I'm not saying it is true, just that it exists). So what better why to lend credence to that perception than to attack her on non-issues? If you get down to the level of actual issues, then that detracts from the perception that she's an idiot. Keep her superficial and the perception remains.

I understand it...I certainly do not condone it.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
With the exception of the first ten paragraphs, which are just setting up a strawman to knock it down - I generally agree. I think a lot of the criticism of Governor Palin has been ludicrous.

I understand it, in a Machiavellian manner it makes perfect sense. They have no need to address Palin on issues when they can simply attack her on non-issues. More to the point, there is a perception that Palin is an idiot (I'm not saying it is true, just that it exists). So what better why to lend credence to that perception than to attack her on non-issues? If you get down to the level of actual issues, then that detracts from the perception that she's an idiot. Keep her superficial and the perception remains.

I understand it...I certainly do not condone it.

I feel it should be noted that the left didn't just all of sudden without provocation brand Palin as an idiot.  Palin's performances tend to lend a lot of credence to the FACT that she is incompetent.

Maybe that works for her in AK but I would be hesitant about letting tour the White House let alone run the world from the White House.

richpo64

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »
It's just the template ... stupid, stupid, stupid. Something about a boy crying wolf.

Oh, and they have no problem with that buffoon Biden.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 03:55:13 PM »
It's just the template ... stupid, stupid, stupid. Something about a boy crying wolf.

Oh, and they have no problem with that buffoon Biden.

There's a major difference between Biden and Palin.  Biden knows what he's talking about when he makes a minor gaffe.  Palin has the dead eyes of someone trying to bs their way through a job interview.  ALWAYS.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
<<I'm not comfortable with his motivation for McCain Feingold.>>

You're OK with McCain-Feingold, but you question McCain's motivation for promoting it?

<<I liken it to a celebrity holding a charity fundraiser to get out of jail time for a drug bust.>>

McCain's "drug bust" being what, exactly?