Author Topic: Yes We Can?  (Read 5372 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Yes We Can?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »
So, just curious, BT, what DID Bush do?

As far as i know nothing. He certainly didn't encourage Freddie and Fannie to buy up a bunch of risky paper. He certainly didn't encourage those lenders who sold the paper to F&F to make those loans to less than credit worthy borrowers.

What do you think he did that created the financial "crisis" ?

Knutey

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »

As far as i know nothing. He certainly didn't encourage Freddie and Fannie to buy up a bunch of risky paper. He certainly didn't encourage those lenders who sold the paper to F&F to make those loans to less than credit worthy borrowers.

You got THAT right. He did nothing (except allow his fellow greed heads to run amuck)

http://thenewyorkcrank.blogspot.com/2008/10/yeah-lets-deregulate-everything-how.html

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 12:44:24 AM »

Sure, you telling me what he didn't do, but I am curious to know what you might list as something or some things that Bush did do during the last 8 years.

I can't remember a more obvious example of an attempt at "re-direction" in a post in all the days of 3dhs.

Maybe you could just indulge us and give us a little list of Bush accomplishments/endeavors/historically positive deeds during office.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 12:56:25 AM »
http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20081024.html

Cliff, from Brimfield, Ohio writes:
Secretary Gutierrez: This new website being lead by the Commerce Department. What kind of info will we be able to find out? Where will we be able to view it? and When will it start? Thank You

Carlos Gutierrez
Thanks for your question, Cliff. The Web site is www.EconomicRecovery.gov and it is up and running now. We’re calling it a “one-stop-shop” for the American people to find help to keep their homes, find jobs and protect their savings. It provides links to a wide range of important government sites that can be useful for families, workers and businesses during these challenging times. For example, a farmer can find information about USDA’s Farm Loan Program. Or an out-of-work American can learn about job opportunities in their state at a link to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Many federal agencies will have links to the Web site from their homepage, including ours, www.commerce.gov. We will regularly update the Web site, so check back often.

Tim, from Ohio writes:
How can you help our economy in the middle class?

Carlos Gutierrez
Tim, thanks for taking the time to e-mail me. The Administration is taking action on a number of fronts to help Americans and strengthen our economy: we passed an economic stimulus bill in January; increased Social Security benefits for seniors; extended unemployment insurance for those seeking a job; and provided help for homeowners struggling with their mortgage.

Most recently, we passed a substantial economic rescue package so Americans will continue to be able to borrow money for cars, homes and college tuition. The package will also help ensure that small businesses get loans to expand their operations and to create jobs for our workers. We know people across the country are hurting. This is a difficult period for hardworking Americans and it’s not going to be fixed over night. However, we are acting swiftly and decisively and we are confident the American economy will recover and return to the path of economic growth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill, from Roanoke, VA writes:
What is the administration doing now? I know there was a bill passed to help the economy, but what actions are being taken to follow through?

Carlos Gutierrez
That’s an excellent question, Bill. We know Americans are deeply concerned about the impact of the financial crisis on their retirement accounts, 401Ks, college savings, and other investments. But, we know what the problems are, and we’re working swiftly to fix them. The President announced several measures to shore up banks across the country and get credit flowing again, so that families can borrow money for cars, homes and college tuition, and so businesses can get loans to expand their operations and create jobs. For example, the federal government will use up to $250 billion of the $700 billion financial rescue plan for a voluntary program to inject capital into banks. Yesterday, Acting Assistant Secretary Neal Kashkari testified on Capitol Hill about our progress in specifically implementing the bill. I encourage you to read his remarks. Additionally, we temporarily expanded the amount of money insured in bank and credit union savings accounts, checking accounts, and certificates of deposit from $100,000 to $250,000. These are among the important steps we have taken. I can assure you that at every level of government we are working hard to strengthen our financial system and rebuild confidence in our economy.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:01:35 AM by Plane »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 01:42:44 AM »
I can't remember a more obvious example of an attempt at "re-direction" in a post in all the days of 3dhs.

Considering it was your post bragging about Obama holding 3 press conferences about the economy and the resultant choruses of blame Bush shouldn't the focus be on what Bush allegedly did that precipitated the crisis, and that burden would rest on you.

I took the other side of the argument, saying he didn't precipitate the "crisis".

Some of the things he did that i have no quarrels with include NCLB, The Medicare Prescription Package, toppling the Taliban, toppling Saddam, the Vast improvements made to the VA system and the tax cuts.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
Considering it was your post bragging about Obama holding 3 press conferences about the economy and the resultant choruses of blame Bush shouldn't the focus be on what Bush allegedly did that precipitated the crisis, and that burden would rest on you.

I took the other side of the argument, saying he didn't precipitate the "crisis".

Well, I take a little humbrage at your characterization of my post as "bragging".  It was, at most, a comparison but this is quibbling.

Some of the things he did that i have no quarrels with include NCLB, The Medicare Prescription Package, toppling the Taliban, toppling Saddam, the Vast improvements made to the VA system and the tax cuts.

Finally, a direct answer.  Obviously, I have disagreements with some of the "accomplishments" you've listed but I really was just curious about what you would list since you, by my perceptions, seem to actively avoid answering direct questions especially regarding Bush.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »
Finally, a direct answer.  Obviously, I have disagreements with some of the "accomplishments" you've listed but I really was just curious about what you would list since you, by my perceptions, seem to actively avoid answering direct questions especially regarding Bush.

Speaking of avoidance do you want to explain how Bush is responsible for the current financial "crisis"?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
Didn't you get the memo Bt?  The buck stops with him, end of story.

That said, I will criticise Bush for the rhetorical position he had in pushing home ownership to such a level, even if it required the government to help facilitate such
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
What is important is that regulations to prevent this be passed and enforced.

What regulations? That seems like a soundbite resolution to me.

================================================
I went into this in detail before and so go look it up.
=================

I don't think that Bush caused even one person to buy a house they could not afford.

Of course, when a real estate "professional" and a bankng "professional" tells you that you can afford a mansion, it must be difficult to argue with your wife or husband to the contrary.

The banks bundled mortgages, separated them from derivatives and sold them as solid investments, and "experts" said they were solid investments.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
caveat emptor

how long has that saying been around?

I'm guessing quite a while since it is in Latin.

Do they teach Latin in the Public Schools?

Do they teach personal finance?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 02:09:29 AM »
caveat emptor

how long has that saying been around?

I'm guessing quite a while since it is in Latin.

Do they teach Latin in the Public Schools?

Do they teach personal finance?
===========================================================
It is a very old saying.
They probably teach Latin in a few public schools, but it isn't a required course,
They wouldn't need to teach Latin to teach what it means.
No, teaching personal finance would ruin the system.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 06:41:35 AM »
No, teaching personal finance would ruin the system.

I guess that adds validity to your claims of victimhood.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
Why do you suppose that schools do not teach personal finance?
Are school boards afraid of flack they might get from merchants and banks and credit card companies?
Are they afraid of what might be taught, that it might be "controversial"?
Or are they just too chap to hire a teacher and devise a curriculum.
There must be a reason. It is impossible to argue that it is not a useful skill, perhaps more so than, say, geometry.

I think a few actually do, but most don't.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 10:52:33 AM »
I think a few actually do, but most don't.

It's a graduation requirement in Minnesota. They teach the kids how to shop, plan meals, budget, look for bargains, etc.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)