Author Topic: Pretty soon there will be no one left who isn't mad at him.  (Read 1056 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pretty soon there will be no one left who isn't mad at him.
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »

Federal workers rage over President Obama's
two-year wage freeze

BY John Marzulli, Kerry Burke and Kenneth R. Bazinet
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 4:00 AM

President Obama announced a two-year pay freeze for federal workers.

"That's why Obama's ratings are below [ex-President George W.] Bush's, and that's hard to be unless you're Osama Bin Laden," said Rosemarie Clemmens of Manhattan.

Clemmens, who works for the Social Security Administration, said she voted for Obama but won't again. "I can't wait until I retire," the life-long government worker added.

Even the Secret Service and FBI, among other federal law enforcement agencies, are taking a hit thanks to Obama's decree.

"Federal law enforcement officers have been sacrificing for our country since the attacks on 9/11, and now we're being asked to bear the brunt of a failing economy," said Jon Adler, president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association.

"This is disheartening, but it won't dilute our honor for serving our country," he said, adding that a pay freeze should be a last resort, not the first.

Signaling a distinct shift toward austerity, Obama announced a two-year pay freeze for federal workers, saving up to $5 billion in two years, and $28 billion in five.

"The hard truth is getting this deficit under control is going to require some broad sacrifice, and that sacrifice must be shared by the employees of the federal government," Obama said.

Obama's lower lip was distinctly swollen after taking an elbow during a Friday basketball game, but he said doctors have cleared him to get back on the court.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/11/30/2010-11-30_fed_workers_rage_over_wage_freeze.html
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Pretty soon there will be no one left who isn't mad at him.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:03 PM »
First we hear the ratbag right allege that government workers are overpaid, for which they blame President Obama.

Then we have a ratbag rightwinger saying that NOT giving the same allegedly overpaid workers is stupid because they will dislike him for it.

This is irrational.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
Velma Hart, woman who said she was 'exhausted' by Obama's policies at town hall, loses her job
By Sean Alfano
Daily News Staff Writer

The woman who told President Obama that defending his plans to fix the battered U.S. economy "exhausted" her now finds herself among the 9.6% of Americans who are unemployed.

During a town-hall meeting carried by CNBC in September, Velma Hart, the chief financial officer for Am Vets, gave the President an earful, saying she was tired and upset of waiting for the change Obama promised when he was elected.

"Quite frankly, I'm exhausted. Exhausted of defending you, defending your administration, defending the man for change I voted for, and deeply disappointed with where we are right now," she said.

On Monday, Hart told the network she became another casualty of the stagnant economy.

"Of course I'm afraid. Everybody's a little afraid," she said.

"Could it take me two years to find a job? Wow, that's a scary proposition for me and my family."

The executive director of Am Vets, a non-profit group that provides services for U.S. veterans, said the decision to lay off Hart was purely a business move.

"It's not anything she did," Jim King told the Washington Post. "She got bit by the same snake that has bit a lot of people. It was a move to cut our bottom line."

The unemployment rate has been above 9.5% for 15 straight months, the longest span since the 1930s.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/11/23/2010-11-23_velma_hart_woman_who_said_she_was_exhausted_by_obamas_policies_at_town_hall_lose.html

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:54:53 PM »
All we stand to loose is the cost of liveing adjustment. Since inflation is low the raise would have been small anyway.

This is more symbolic of austerity than really austerity.

However it does put egg onthe face of my union, they probly dont know which way to jump.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »
Then we have a ratbag rightwinger saying that NOT giving the same allegedly overpaid workers
is stupid because they will dislike him for it. This is irrational.

XO are you directing this at me?
If so please show where I or anyone in the linked article said NOT giving the workers more was "stupid".
Seeing things that are not there is what is "irrational".
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987