Author Topic: The Party of Hate!  (Read 10562 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Party of Hate!
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
Didnt genetics came from a priest who study the results of cross breeding plants?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
We are all still mortal, we have a long ways to go to improve our lot.

Who ever claimed we wern't     ???
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »
Gregory Mendel was the first person to scientifically elaborate on genetics using plants, bit before that, there was a long tradition of breeding horses, mules, cattle and other livestock that goes back over a thousand years. There is mention of white and varicolored sheep in the Bible, and the Hebrews were not as sophisticated at livestock as other groups.

Maybe at some point, someone will figure out how to cross a narwhal with a horse and produce a unicorn.

I can see zoos of griffins, unicorns, dragons and other mythical beasts as a part of amusement parks.
I don't think we need werewolves, though. Shape shifting critters are probably impossible.
Maybe Disney or Universal will have a unicorn petting zoo.

Werewolves and Vampires do not belong in petting zoos.
Only small, docile dragons.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
After we cure the major diseases, life prolongation is the next target for genetics. Trees and maybe some sea creatures live for over 100 years.
Science will continue to march on.
Science will advance a few steps forward, religion will back up a few steps, This has been going on since the Renaissance.

Science is not perfect, but it is more effective than prayer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
Science is not perfect, but it is more effective than prayer.

That depends on what you're praying for.  For instance, I pray for the gift of rational thought to be extended to you, at some point in time.  I doubt science will make any breakthroughs in that goal, so prayer will have to do.

But I'll make sure to pass on your "knowledge" to all those family members I see at the hospital, praying over their loved one, who is sick or dying, and making sure they realize just how futile they're acting     
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
I did not say prayer was futile. It makes the people who pray feel that they are being useful. That is good for them
Some people need religion, as I have said many times. The one legged need crutches.The legless need wheelchairs.

It does not,  and many a study have shown this, however, cure the sick.
Indications that it has done this and are anecdotal, rather than based on rational science.

Prayer is not rational behavior. I can be useful, but it is emotional, not based on fact, which is why it is not rational.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
I did not say prayer was futile.

Sure you did.....the implication was clear.  Religion, Christianity in particular, is moronic dogma, based on some unloving incomprehensible God.  So, by direct connection, prayer itself is a futile endeavor, in bringing about healing from suffering

And here's a kicker you're sure to claim is made up by myself....I was diagnosed with Diabetes, when I was in my teen years.  Blood tests & blood sugars confirmed it.  Had to go on a specialized diet, but wasn't to the point where I had to give myself daily insulin shots.  I went to a large Christian rally.  There, my Uncle asked me if I really wanted to be rid of the Diabetes.  I said of course.  He asked me to pray with him, I did, and the next time I was seen by the Doctor, my blood sugars were normal, and have been so since.  Doctors couldn't explain it.  And yes, that's 100% what happened to me.  So you can poo poo prayer, all you want.  It can, and does lead to healing & cure....IF that's in God'a plan

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
As I said, anecdotal.

Perhaps the first diagnosis was erroneous.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
MULTIPLE tests confirmed the diagnosis, including a extremely uncomfortable 12 hour blood test, where they had to take blood every hour

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »
Imagine that!

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
Here, sadly, is where I have to take the side of those who pray, sort of.

So, X is of the opinion science alone has been responsible for advances in medical science, such as diagnostics, treating injuries, fighting infections, all the way up to nearly eradicating some diseases such as smallpox, leprosy, plague, and so on. And actually, I agree with him, and more - some of these advances were made in spite of religion. However, playing the devil's advocate here for a moment...

There is no way to prove, or disprove, whether or not prayer had anything to do with the advances in medical science. First of all, when the Bible speaks of answering prayer, a.) It does not assure you you will get the answer you want; sometimes the answer is NO; and b.) The answer may not come right away. So, say, all those people who prayed for an end to leprosy, who's to say they didn't get it? Maybe not in time for them, or their loved one who had it, but here we are. Same for smallpox, infections, and on and on. So one cannot categorically state that prayer doesn't work. Of course, the opposite is true as well.

That's the advantage of at one time being one of 'them' and studying for the ministry - I can see both sides. My choice, however, is my own.

Carry on.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
Imagine that!

Actually, no imagination necessary.  Just 2 very painful arms after all that, that made it almost impossible to lift a fork to eat

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »
There is no way to prove, or disprove, whether or not prayer had anything to do with the advances in medical science. First of all, when the Bible speaks of answering prayer, a.) It does not assure you you will get the answer you want; sometimes the answer is NO; and b.) The answer may not come right away. So, say, all those people who prayed for an end to leprosy, who's to say they didn't get it? Maybe not in time for them, or their loved one who had it, but here we are. Same for smallpox, infections, and on and on. So one cannot categorically state that prayer doesn't work. Of course, the opposite is true as well.

100% accurate

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2016, 01:09:34 AM »
Actually I believe several mammals has been know to terminate their pregnancy when extreme situations occurs.

I guess that is one way to look at it.

The other way might be that successful pregnancy has strict requirements.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »
Not that strict since these are are extreme situations.
  The power of prayer should not be discounted but one needs to be careful not to ignore standard treatments. So far in religious matter people has been respectful about my condition and how I do things. But the alternative medicine folks has been quite aggressive in trying to get me off my meds.
These folks are not very responsible. I swear every vitamin store clerk thinks they have comparable medical knowledge to tell people to stop taking medication.