Author Topic: A Fundie Is A Fundie is a Fundie...  (Read 5366 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Fundie Is A Fundie is a Fundie...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 06:18:37 PM »
And why only teach Christian creation? How about Native American creation stories?   

My assumption would be a theology course would teach more than one theology.

Precisely
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 06:48:35 PM »
How about people who believe in worship of ancestors, or idols?  Do you teach that too?
Do you teach Santeria?  Taoism, Paganism, etc.?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 07:37:58 PM »
How about people who believe in worship of ancestors, or idols?  Do you teach that too?  Do you teach Santeria?  Taoism, Paganism, etc.?

Wouldn't you?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »
<<My assumption would be a theology course would teach more than one theology.>>

My assumption is that a comparative religion course teaches more than one theology, and a theology course teaches about "God" which of course is dependent upon the viewpoint of the teacher which in turn probably depends upon the viewpoint of the college that hires him or her.  In other words, a Methodist school teaches Methodist theology, etc.  But never having studied the subject, I wouldn't know.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
I'm not.

A Catholic Priest came up with the Big Bang theory. I find "Intelligent Design" to not only be faulty science, but poor theology as well.

I don't want to have public money spent teaching fundamentalist Protestant theology in school. If you want that, send them to a Southern Baptist school (or something similar). A true religious studies course would not teach "intelligent design" either, at least not without teaching a lot of other religious vantage points as well (and offering none of them as "the truth").

I'm perfectly fine with that - with the caveat that if fundamentalist Protestants are forced to send their children to private schools to get the education they deem appropriate, the tax dollars they're being charged to support the public schools are refunded.

After all, they're paying for a "public service" that is totally inadequate to provide for their needs.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 09:52:25 PM »
I read this story in the book "A Primate's Memoir".
http://www.amazon.com/Primates-Memoir-Neuroscientists-Unconventional-Baboons/dp/0743202414

While weighing and measureing a babboon he had sedated a primatologist was visited by two Masai men who were passing by.

They had never seen a liveng Babboon so close so they were very interested .

The Primatologist was glad for the company and began to tell them interestiong facts about babboons , his vocation and wound up telling them about evolution ment that Men like themselves were desendants of creatures that were something like Babboons.

One of the Masai replied at this point that he had best stop talking this way or elese he would poke a hole in the primatologist with the spear he happened to have.

The scientist dropped the subject.

This Turkish author is blameing our insistance on teaching evolution for terrorism , should we humbly apologise and quit doing this irritateing thing?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 12:13:12 PM »
The problem now is that you've broadened your public school theology course into several courses that cannot be adequately taught in one simple class (or even a few classes over a few years). Also, while this might sit well with this community of somewhat reasonable people ( ;) ) how well will teaching modern islamic thought go over with the public school system in Alamance County, NC? How well will teaching Catholic doctrine go over in the heart of Southern Baptist evangelical country? How well will tax dollars being spent to teach animism go over with Rep. Tiahrt's constituents in Kansas?

Unfortunately the reasonable solution is not always the most practical. Kids will have to wait until they get to university to take decent religious studies classes. Personally, I took some very good classes when I got to that level. I took a class on pre-17th century Islam that gave great insight into the Islamic beliefs and why Muslims believe what they believe (and despite some popular myth professors don't try and convert anyone ;) ).

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »
Unfortunately the reasonable solution is not always the most practical.

Well, then, if they can't teach it adequately in a theology course, I guess they shouldn't teach it.  ;)

And yes, I had a comparative theology semester as part of my AP English senior year in a Buncombe County, NC public high school.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »
Unfortunately the reasonable solution is not always the most practical.

Well, then, if they can't teach it adequately in a theology course, I guess they shouldn't teach it;)

But of course        ;D

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 12:44:23 PM »
It figures you'd be an Ashevillian ;)

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
It figures you'd be an Ashevillian ;)

Don't insult me.

Weaverville.  ;D
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
Have you driven on I-26 since they finished it?

My favorite feature are the Erwin police waiting for speeders at the bottom of the mountain.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 01:07:07 PM »
Have you driven on I-26 since they finished it?

My favorite feature are the Erwin police waiting for speeders at the bottom of the mountain.

Just small sections of it. And the Erwin police remind me of the police at the bottom of Old Fort Mountain, which I drove weekly for a while.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
The problem now is that you've broadened your public school theology course into several courses that cannot be adequately taught in one simple class (or even a few classes over a few years). Also, while this might sit well with this community of somewhat reasonable people ( ;) ) how well will teaching modern Islamic thought go over with the public school system in Alamance County, NC? How well will teaching Catholic doctrine go over in the heart of Southern Baptist evangelical country? How well will tax dollars being spent to teach animism go over with Rep. Tiahrt's constituents in Kansas?

Unfortunately the reasonable solution is not always the most practical. Kids will have to wait until they get to university to take decent religious studies classes. Personally, I took some very good classes when I got to that level. I took a class on pre-17th century Islam that gave great insight into the Islamic beliefs and why Muslims believe what they believe (and despite some popular myth professors don't try and convert anyone ;) ).

I agree evolution should not be taught till colledge.