Author Topic: Dems gotta love this: Nader Joins Presidential Race  (Read 1208 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dems gotta love this: Nader Joins Presidential Race
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:12:59 PM »

Ralph Nader joins US presidential race
By Megan Levy and agencies
24/02/2008

Independent candidate Ralph Nader has announced that he is entering the US presidential race, a move which many Democrats fear could deprive their party of vital votes.

Mr Nader was accused by supporters of Al Gore of handing the 2000 election to George W Bush by attracting voters who would otherwise have backed their candidate.

Mr Nader's run could prove a blow to the Democrats

The consumer rights activist announced on NBC television's Meet the Press that he was launching a third-party campaign for the White House because voters were disenchanted with the Democratic and Republican parties.

The 73-year-old believes none of the presidential contenders are addressing ways to stem corporate crime and Pentagon waste and promote labour rights.

Emerging Democratic frontrunner Barack Obama's "better instincts and his knowledge have been censored by himself," Mr Nader said, while Republican heir apparent John McCain was "the candidate for perpetual war."

He called Washington "corporate occupied territory" that turns the government against the interest of its own people.

"In that context I have decided to run for president," Mr Nader said.

Mr Nader's run could prove a a further blow to the Democrats' campaign after a bitter fight between Mr Obama and Hillary Clinton. In contrast, John McCain has had a virtually clear run to the Republican nomination.

In 2000, in the tightest presidential race in American history, Mr Nader ruthlessly targeted the liberal activist wing of the Democratic Party, picking up votes from disillusioned environmentalists, opponents of globalisation and radical feminists.

In all, Mr Nader gained 2.78 million votes in a contest that was eventually won by a margin of 537 votes.   

In Florida, where a controversial recount gripped the attention of the world, 97,488 votes were punched in his favour.

The trauma of Mr Gore's defeat in 2000 led to the creation of a "Repentant Nader voter" website, on which disconsolate Democrats confessed to voting for a candidate who had no chance of winning.

While Democrats have never forgiven him for splitting the liberal vote, Mr Nader refused to accept that his candidacy may have handed the presidency to George W Bush.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/24/wuspols124.xml
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:19:59 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Dems gotta love this: Nader Joins Presidential Race
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »
My son says that Nader is like the Bullwinkle Balloon in the Macy's parade.  He shows up every time, but very few people even remember who he is.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »
"My son says that Nader is like the Bullwinkle Balloon in the Macy's parade. 
He shows up every time, but very few people even remember who he is"

LOL
I bet Al Gore remembers who he is!

In Florida 2000, where a controversial recount gripped the
attention of the world, 97,488 votes were punched in Nader's favour.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
Nader ran in 2004, and he got very few votes.
He has a right to run. I won't vote for him, because he can't win, but this time, it won't make a difference.
Every sane student of US politics knows that this is of little or no importance this year.

Ron Paul would outpoll Nader, should he run.
Not that I think he will, becaue he has said he would not, and it would therefore make him pretty hypocritical.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:32:10 PM »
I think that Nader would hurt Hillary a lot more than he would hurt Obama.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »
I think that Nader would hurt Hillary a lot more than he would hurt Obama.

I don;t think Nader will hurt either of them appreciably. I agree that a few more Hillary voters would prefer Nader thasn Obama voters would. If Obama runs, an unprecedented percentage of Balck people will vote. If Hillary is the candidate, they are much more likely to stay home.

Nader is not going to make an appreciable difference in 2008, though, n matter who the candidate might be.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 01:05:21 AM »
If Obama runs, an unprecedented percentage of Balck people will vote. If Hillary is the candidate, they are much more likely to stay home.

Yeah, but how will  the negress vote go?

http://debategate.com/new3dhs/index.php?topic=5555.msg53936#msg53936

(This, ladies and gentlemen, is what is known as "instigating."   :) )
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .