Author Topic: LiveBlogging of the Gonzalez Hearing  (Read 811 times)

modestyblase

LiveBlogging of the Gonzalez Hearing
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »
http://www.thebluestate.com/

WOW. I wish had speakers on my work computer!
Not as entertaining as the Watergate hearings, but still highly amusing!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:40:52 PM by modestyblase »

Mucho

Re: LiveBlogging of the Gonzalez Hearing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:36:41 PM »

a project of the Nation Institute
To send this to a friend, or to read more dispatches, go to tomdispatch.com

Tomgram: Swanson, Will We Ever See the Last of Gonzales?

Many of you may not have had the time to tune into the testimony of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales before the Senate Judiciary Committee. So, as a public service, before David Swanson pursues the subject in vivid depth below, here's just the nub of what you need to know about his morning appearance, as taken down by your trusty scribe. Think of it as a little 3-minute primer for a busy world on the state of (in)Justice (Department of…) in America:

Gonzales' introductory statement: "I shoulda been more precise… My misstatements were my mistakes, no one else's… I have been extremely forthcoming with information… not the actions of someone with something to hide…"

Responses to Committee Chairman Sen. Leahy (D-VT.): "I can only recall… I don't recall… I did not know… it appears… I was not responsible for… I have no recollection… Again, Senator, I was not responsible for compiling that… I don't recall a specific mention… It appears… as I recall… I don't recall Senator Dominici ever…That rationale was not in my mind, as I recall… Senator, that's an answer that I have to get back to you… Senator, I'd like to give you that information, but…"

Responses to Sen. Specter (R-PA.): "Senator, I don't want to quarrel with you… Based on what I thought, what I understood was going on… I believed that was ongoing… I don't recall… What I recall is… I don't recall whether Mr. Mercer presented me the numbers… Senator, I have no recollection about that, but I presume that that is true… Senator, I do recall having a conversation with Mr. Rove… Senator, you're talking about a series of events that occurred over possibly 700 days… putting it in context, Senator, I would say that my involvement was limited… Senator, of course, in hindsight…"

Reponses to Sen. Kennedy (D-MA.): "I think that's a fair question, Senator… I was not the person in the Department who had the most information… Since then, I have gone back and looked at the documents available to Congress… I'm not aware that anyone… I believe that I had a good process… Senator, I did not review the document… Senator, I think it's a good question… I don't recall in connection to this review process Mr. Sampson was involved in… I don't recall everyone who was there… Senator, there may have been other discussions…"

Responses to Sen. Brownback (R-KS.): "I do not recall what I knew about… I just don't recall the reason… It appears there were concerns about… Now, in hindsight… I'm not aware of any new facts here… She's the other person, quite candidly, Senator, that I don't recall… I myself was confused, quite frankly, when I testified… Generally, I recall…"

Responses to interjection by Chairman Leahy: "Sir, I don't recall sending a follow-up quite frankly. I don't know if it was a mistake or misstatement in my testimony… "

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LiveBlogging of the Gonzalez Hearing
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 08:01:49 PM »
With 'Friends' Like These, AG May Be in Trouble

If Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is in need of someone to pull him back from the edge of the political plank, he hasn't gotten any help today from Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

In fact, the most conservative member of the panel -- Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) -- just started the afternoon round of questioning by telling Gonzales to resign.

"I believe there's consequences for mistakes," Coburn lectured Gonzales, noting that the ousted U.S. attorneys don't appear to have deserved being fired and that Gonzales himself then butchered the process. "I believe you ought to suffer the consequences that these others have suffered, and I believe that the best way to put this behind us is your resignation."

With that, Coburn became the first Republican on the committee to call for Gonzales's ouster.

Outside of Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), whose questions consisted of asking Gonzales about the sort of trips Gonzales made around the country and to the White House, none of the other Republicans on the panel has helped the attorney general.

Here's a round-up of the toughest comments and questions Gonzales faced from his own party in the morning round:

* Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.): Sessions, a former U.S. attorney of almost a dozen years in the Reagan and first Bush administrations, is a rock-rib conservative on the panel, a party loyalist. He's not been happy how his prosecutor brethren were treated. But Sessions wasn't aggressively going after Gonzales in his questioning until he asked the AG about a Nov. 27 meeting Gonzales attended at which deep discussions were held about the firings. "I can only testify as to what I recall. Believe me, I've searched my mind about this meeting ... but I don't recall the contents of this meeting, senator. I'm not suggesting that the meeting did not happen," Gonzales testified. At which point a stunned Sessions said: "I'm concerned about your recollection, really, because it's not that long ago. It was an important issue. And that's troubling to me, I've got to tell you."

* Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.): Somewhat of a political maverick, Graham openly questioned whether Gonzales was telling the truth about the reasons behind the firing. Graham accused Justice Department and White House advisers of firing the eight U.S. attorneys for "personality" conflicts, then making up reasons for the dismissals after the controversy blew up in their faces. "Most of this is a stretch. I think it's clear to me that some of these people just had personality conflicts with people in your office or at the White House and, you know, we made up reasons to fire them. Some of it sounds good. Some of it doesn't," Graham said.

* Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kansas): Brownback was the most neutral of questioners on the Republican side, but his decision to allow Gonzales to slowly walk through the rational for the firing of six of the prosecutors revealed several troubling developments. The attorney general acknowledged that, on the day of the prosecutors' dismissals, he did not know why two of the eight were fired (Daniel Bogden, the U.S. attorney for Nevada, and Margaret Chiara, the U.S. attorney for western Michigan).

* Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.): As noted in the first post from these hearings, Specter and Gonzales got off to a very rough start, bickering over the AG's preparation efforts for press conferences and hearings. But Specter went on to lay out a series of meetings and conversations Gonzales had with his staff, White House aides and President Bush -- meetings dealing with at least three of the prosecutors who were fired -- and concluded his round of questioning with this comment: "We have to evaluate whether you are really being forthright in saying that you, quote, 'should have been more precise,' close quote, when the reality is that your characterization of your participation is just significantly, if not totally, at variance with the facts."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2007/04/coburn_calls_for_consequences.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.