Author Topic: Tribes of Americans  (Read 836 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tribes of Americans
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2012/05/25/11882432-whos-an-american-indian-warren-case-stirs-query

(Q)The largest and fastest growing American Indian tribe?

(A)The Wannabe Indians.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Tribes of Americans
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »
Being as I am related to a Choctaw medicine woman named Mourning Tree Frasier, who was the daughter of an Indian woman and a French voyager, who lived between 1810 and 1867, I can relate to this. Not me nor any of my immediate family have ever claimed a dime or an acre or anything else because of related to this ancestor. Mourning Tree is another word for Willow. She was the only person with any medical skills on the Ft Washita reservation, which was closed in 1858. She married a 5th great grandparent of mine named Lemuel Gooding, who was the sutler and a Methodist minister to the reservation. Both his wife and Mourning Tree's spouses died in an epidemic in the early 1850's. I have in my possession the account books of the sutler's store. If you go to the Ft Washita Monument, you will see a copy of them on display.

I see that Elizabeth Warren has also not claimed any benefit for being 1/32nd Cherokee. So the Wannabee comment is inaccurate and rather racist as well.

There is a very good reason that so many people claim to be part Cherokee: the Cherokee had a written language and kept written records in Cherokee. The other civilized tribes sent to Oklahoma (Choctaw, Creek, Seminole, Chickasaw) only recorded events (if at all) in English, and of course, most did not speak English and many fewer wrote it. 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:50:22 AM »
I don't mean to be racist , but there are more than twice as many of us being Indian than the tribes recognise.

It is probly a good thing that it has come to be cool being Indian.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
Indians did not actually disappear. Many of them were were absorbed into the White and Black population.

There are many thousands of Americans with Indian blood that have no knowledge of this. Being part Indian was seen as a bad thing until at least the 1930's, and many people hid their ancestry from their spouses and children.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
Sience can cure this ignorance.

How much would you pay to have your genes typed?

Anybody got a business plan ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:16:57 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »
I see no reason to do this. It will probably be available for under $20 eventually. If you think this would be a great business, that is okay with me.

Henry Louis Gates has a series on DNA and geneology on PBS.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »
I'd like to try that but i very doubt they have enough data to track what kind of asian I am for now. I found out resently i'm only half chinese. My ma said grandma never had kids,meaning she's adopted and since she was not born in china it's very likely she not chinese. It explains my green eyes and why so many elderly chinese ladies don't think I look chinese

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »
DNA will reveal who your ancestors were: not names, of course, but origin, perhaps where the green eyes came from.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »
My sis says maybe indonesian or malay. But also it's rumored most taishan are mixed