Author Topic: Finn shooting  (Read 1215 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finn shooting
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
http://www.news24.com/World/News/Something-broken-in-Finland-20120527

Finns are shocked at young men going nuts with firearms.

In five years it happens five times? To me this is not a high rate, it is bad , but I wouldn't say it amounts to enough to be an indicator of any thing systemicly wrong with Finland.

More like in any group of millions , there are a few really badly configured and adjusted people no matter what you do about it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Finn shooting
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
More like in any group of millions , there are a few really badly configured and adjusted people no matter what you do about it.

=========================================
Preventing them from getting dangerous weapons would be a major way of preventing such incidents.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »

=========================================
Preventing them from getting dangerous weapons would be a major way of preventing such incidents.

Oh?

And replace a shooting every coupple of years with starving hunters and a bear mauling every month?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
Are the same people bear hunters?

It is silly to assume that the same people going ape with guns are subsistence hunters or people likely to be mauled by bears.

I suppose one way to deal with this is to see how Norway and Sweden have avoided this problem.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
Are the same people bear hunters?

It is silly to assume that the same people going ape with guns are subsistence hunters or people likely to be mauled by bears.

I suppose one way to deal with this is to see how Norway and Sweden have avoided this problem.

No one has avoided this problem.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
Norwegians and Swedes shoot people as well?  There was that nut in Norway that killed all the kids. His motive seems to have been political nuttiness rather than normal nuttiness. But they are still dead.

I am sure that the likelihood of getting shot in Finland is much, much less than in the US, and it isn't that high here.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 02:08:20 AM »

I am sure that the likelihood of getting shot in Finland is much, much less than in the US, and it isn't that high here.

That is part of the point I ment to make.

A small number of persons will entirely fail to develop normaly no matter what is done, a small number of these will become dangerous .

Whether whepons are plentyfull or scarce these few guys will commit mayhem about the same.

If wepons were an hundred times reduced , there would certainly still be one apeace for the nuts.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »
It is less likely that a crazy person would find a gun if there were 100 times fewer guns.

I am sure we have many more gun nut deaths than Finland per capita.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
It is less likely that a crazy person would find a gun if there were 100 times fewer guns.

I am sure we have many more gun nut deaths than Finland per capita.

Not at all. If there were only one gun for each million of us , that one gun would belong to the one that wanted it worst.

And once he got it ...................I would then start wanting one pretty bad.

Look at it this way,....If guns were totally forbidden they would become as hard to get as Cocane, and just as profitable to cross the border with.

Last time you wanted some Cocane , how long did it take you to find some?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
Not at all. If there were only one gun for each million of us , that one gun would belong to the one that wanted it worst.

=================================================================================

I question that.

Surely, in this country or somewhere in the world there are many nihilist people who want a Hydrogen bomb in the worst way, and yet they do not have it.

Wanting something does not mean that you will get it. It does not mean that someone who wants it less will let you have it.

If you tried to steal an H-bomb, you would be arrested or shot by someone who would not want the bomb at all, but who wanted to perform his job of guarding it from nuts like you perfectly.

You hypothesis is flawed.
============================

I have never wanted cocaine. But cocaine would be easy to obtain in Peru, at least in coca leaf form.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »

=================================================================================

I question that.

Surely, in this country or somewhere in the world there are many nihilist people who want a Hydrogen bomb in the worst way, and yet they do not have it.

Wanting something does not mean that you will get it. It does not mean that someone who wants it less will let you have it.

If you tried to steal an H-bomb, you would be arrested or shot by someone who would not want the bomb at all, but who wanted to perform his job of guarding it from nuts like you perfectly.

You hypothesis is flawed.
============================

I have never wanted cocaine. But cocaine would be easy to obtain in Peru, at least in coca leaf form.

Hydrogen bombs are diffrent from cocane and guns in these ways.

They are difficult to craft , hard to pay for and require a team of highly skilled builders and operators.

Almost anyone can carry a gun or a package of Cocane , far more than one person in a million is expert enough to make Cocane or be a Gunsmith.

Even so , the demand for H-bombs seems great enough to motivate overcoming the high hurdles , even international opprobrium doesn't prevent about three new H-bomb owners every decade.