Author Topic: I told you that (unlike you RWers) Big O could walk & chew gum at the same time  (Read 3927 times)

Knutey

MSNBC.com
Obama rejects McCain call to delay debate
Republican plans to return to Washington to help deal with credit crisis
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC and NBC News
updated 2:36 p.m. PT, Wed., Sept. 24, 2008
Democratic Sen. Barack Obama rejected Republican Sen. John McCain’s dramatic call Wednesday to delay Friday’s presidential debate because of the economic crisis.

“This is exactly the time when the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible for dealing with this mess,” Obama told reporters in Clearwater, Fla.

Obama agreed with McCain on the need for the two men to issue a joint statement of support for legislation to rescue the banking industry, but he declined McCain’s call to postpone the first debate, scheduled for Friday in Oxford, Miss.

“In my mind, it’s more important than ever that we present ourselves to the American people and describe where we want to take the country and where we want to take the economy,” he said.

McCain said earlier in the day in New York that he would suspend his campaign and return to Washington to work on banking legislation, saying President Bush’s proposed $700 billion appeared unlikely to pass.

Obama stopped short of following his model, saying he had told congressional leaders that he was willing to help out, but only if they thought it would be useful.

As for the debate, he said, “It’s going to be part of the president’s job to be able to deal with more than one thing at once.”

The Commission on Presidential Debates and the University of Mississippi, the scheduled host of Friday’s debate, said they expected the debate to go forward. They did not say what they would do if McCain failed to show up.

Obama camp sees political ploy
Obama said he and McCain discussed the economy in two telephone calls earlier Wednesday. Obama said it was he who proposed issuing a joint statement on the bailout plan.

He indicated that McCain’s statement seeking to delay the debate came as a surprise, saying McCain had told him in their second call only that he was thinking through the idea.

“I guess he was further along than I thought,” Obama said.

Aides to Obama characterized McCain’s proposal as a ploy to distract attention from his standing in the polls, which has fallen sharply in the last few days as Americans focus on the economic crisis on Wall Street.

A senior aide to Obama said McCain would have been better advised to have made his proposal several days ago. The aide said the only thing that had changed was McCain’s poll numbers.

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., a close adviser to Obama, called the idea “the longest Hail Mary pass in the history of either football or Marys.”

But Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, welcomed MCCain’s offer.

“This is the John McCain I know,” Hatch said in an interview on MSNBC’s “Hardball.” “He is willing to risk election to do what’s right for the country.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., meanwhile, said McCain’s and Obama’s presence during congressional negotiations over a rescue package would “not be helpful at this time,” saying they would be a distraction.

“We need leadership, not a campaign photo op,” Reid said. “If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.”

White House press secretary Dana Perino, however, said the Bush administration welcomed McCain’s announcement, adding, “Bipartisan support from Senators McCain and Obama would be helpful in driving to a conclusion.”

McCain to suspend campaign
McCain said he would suspend his campaign after he addressed former President Bill Clinton’s Global Initiative gathering Thursday. A

dvisers said they were also reaching out to the Obama campaign to discuss pulling political television advertisements from airing.

Aides denied that the proposal was a political move. They said McCain hoped to create a “political free zone” until a deal to rescue the the financial industry could be reached.

Mark Salter, a senior adviser, held out the possibility that McCain could yet take take in Friday’s debate if congressional negotiators worked out a bank agreement by Friday morning. But he said McCain had been convinced in conversations Tuesday and Wednesday with colleagues on Capitol Hill that passage was next to impossible.

In his statement, McCain said it had become clear that “no consensus has developed to support the administration’s proposal.” He called on Bush to convene a leadership meeting in Washington that would include him and Obama.

McCain said that if Congress did not pass legislation to address the crisis, credit would dry up, people would no longer be able to buy homes, life savings would be at stake and businesses would not have enough money

“If we do not act, every corner of our country will be impacted,” McCain said. “We cannot allow this to happen.”

By Alex Johnson of msnbc.com with David Gregory, Andrea Mitchell, Kelly O’Donnell, Chuck Todd and Mike Viqueira of NBC News and Chris Matthews of MSNBC.

© 2008 MSNBC Interactive
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26872907/

M

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Well, Knutey, you had more faith than I did.  But I'm delighted Obama did not fall for it.  Insane must be desperate at this point.  Probably climbing the walls when he heard Obama wasn't going along.  That was probably his last chance.

Knutey

Well, Knutey, you had more faith than I did.  But I'm delighted Obama did not fall for it.  Insane must be desperate at this point.  Probably climbing the walls when he heard Obama wasn't going along.  That was probably his last chance.

He is going to look even worse when he relents and debates. It will prove that high blown rhetoric was what it was: bullshit

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I almost feel sorry for the guy.  Till I remember what he did to the children and women of Viet Nam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I think it was a brilliant move on McCain's part.

I'll let you guys worry about why.

Knutey

Youre the guy that thought it was brilliant to go into Iraq. I am not the least bit worried.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Then don't worry.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:

The days of Strategy winning over Substance are over.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:

Then the GOP also has nothing to worry about.

Damn you walked right into that one!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Then the GOP also has nothing to worry about.

Damn you walked right into that one!

Pfffft.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I told you that (unlike you RWers) Big O could walk & chew gum at the same t
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »
<<Then the GOP also has nothing to worry about.

<<Damn you walked right into that one!>>

You're assuming (incorrectly, as usual) that there was something for Brass to walk into.  Sorry 'bout that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
You're assuming (incorrectly, as usual) that there was something for Brass to walk into.  Sorry 'bout that.

Where is the substance in blank slate Obama.

Where substance in his make up homeworks on economic policy where he basically copied Dodd and Pelosi's notes and threw in his platform( not to implemented now of course) to boot.

One day before he announced his plan he was promising to cut spending. WHere is the substance in that.

Brass knows his guy is smoke and mirrors. He just thinks in this day of superficiality that is all it will take.

Sadly he may be right.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
When you come down to it, the government cannot fight the Iraq War, bailout the mortgage mess and grant tax cuts without printing money and causing inflation. If it does that, then the interest rate on all that money borrowed from the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans rises accordingly and suddenly we have major inflation everywhere, with Colombians buying a new Jeep for three sacks of coffee.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
When you come down to it, the government cannot fight the Iraq War, bailout the mortgage mess and grant tax cuts without printing money and causing inflation. If it does that, then the interest rate on all that money borrowed from the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans rises accordingly and suddenly we have major inflation everywhere, with Colombians buying a new Jeep for three sacks of coffee.

There goes Obama's middle class tax cut.