Author Topic: U.S. Public Tiring of Afghan War, Opinion Growing that It's Not Worth the Cost  (Read 5364 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
No, BT, I certainly don't think you're some kind of bigoted German.  I think you're some kind of fucking nut-case who could have made his dumb and irrelevant point (that I'm unfairly lumping together all Americans) in any number of ways but for reasons best known to yourself chose to set a reverse example by substituting anti-Semitic slurs in place of perceived anti-American slurs.  As I say, you found your own form of cop-out to avoid dealing with the issues raised, fooling, as usual, exactly nobody.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
No, BT, I certainly don't think you're some kind of bigoted German.  I think you're some kind of fucking nut-case

Michael I think you mean BSB?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BSB

"No, BT, ....."

Ha, you certainly don't lump us all together now, DO YOU? 

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Michael I think you mean BSB?>>

Oooops, right, that was MY mistake.  Sorry everyone.  Although BSB was certainly quick enough to catch the underlying Freudian reason for it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<It is mostly threats , made...

<<and threats fullfilled.>

Really?  The sources I've read that account for the success of the Taliban seem to dwell on the fact that they have delivered a justice system that is swift and incorruptible, as opposed to the government courts that are infinitely bribeable and drag on forever.  The Afghan public seemed to appreciate that. 

I am sure that threats also play a role in any resistance movement's success.

That was a big selling point for the KKK as well , can you object to them?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<That was a big selling point for the KKK as well . . . >>

Sorry, but are you referring to the Klan's threats or its so-called system of justice?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<That was a big selling point for the KKK as well . . . >>

Sorry, but are you referring to the Klan's threats or its so-called system of justice?

Both of course , the KKK and the Taliban havre several things in common , but most of all are the things that made them appealing to the local people.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I'd say that what made the KKK appealing to the local people was simply that they kept the blacks in their place and that their threats appealed to nobody but served the obvious function of suppressing any local opposition.

I'd say that the Taliban's appeal is a little broader and a lot more honourable - - they are fulfilling a long local tradition of resisting foreign invaders to the death AND they have brought justice (albeit rough, crude and violent justice) to a community long starved of justice.  Furthermore they are defending the old ways against the new (much to the chagrin of America's feminists.)  As far as threats go, their threats serve the same obvious function of the Klan's.  Here's a difference, though - - the victims of the Klan's threats were often the most honourable, courageous and incorruptible men of the community, whereas the victims of Taliban threats are probably seen as collaborators and traitors in their own communities and in many cases were acting, not on principle but simply out of self-interest, having been bought off by the invaders.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I'd say that what made the KKK appealing to the local people was simply that they kept the blacks in their place and that their threats appealed to nobody but served the obvious function of suppressing any local opposition.

I'd say that the Taliban's appeal is a little broader and a lot more honourable - - they are fulfilling a long local tradition of resisting foreign invaders to the death AND they have brought justice (albeit rough, crude and violent justice) to a community long starved of justice.  Furthermore they are defending the old ways against the new (much to the chagrin of America's feminists.)  As far as threats go, their threats serve the same obvious function of the Klan's.  Here's a difference, though - - the victims of the Klan's threats were often the most honourable, courageous and incorruptible men of the community, whereas the victims of Taliban threats are probably seen as collaborators and traitors in their own communities and in many cases were acting, not on principle but simply out of self-interest, having been bought off by the invaders.

Why more honor?

Each of those things was a feature of the KKK just as well.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Why more honor?>>

That was just a little snide humor on my part.  What's really "honourable" about murdering women for not covering their heads?  What's "honourable" about throwing acid in the face of a schoolgirl for wanting to go to school?

What I meant was that some Taliban victims were traitors and collaborators, whereas some of the KKK's victims were courageous newspaper editors, people who defended the rights of black citizens, etc.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I'd say that the Taliban's appeal is a little broader and a lot more honourable - - they are fulfilling a long local tradition of resisting foreign invaders to the death

The history of the Taliban is rife with Pakistani interference and support. In that sense the Taliban are invaders in their own land.

Which is why Talibani leadership is no different than Karzai leadership. Either way someone else is pulling the strings.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<The history of the Taliban is rife with Pakistani interference and support. In that sense the Taliban are invaders in their own land.>>

That's a helluva stretch and I don't buy one bit of it.  They're native-born Afghan Pashtun Muslims.  They speak the language of their neighbours, and share blood ties and home ties with them.  They've got their own agenda for their own people.

Karzai is the servant of alien infidels and could not exist for 24 hours without their protection.  Even his personal bodyguards are Americans.

<<Which is why Talibani leadership is no different than Karzai leadership. Either way someone else is pulling the strings. >>

Bullshit.  One gets some foreign support from their own kith and kin, the other is subsidized, armed and empowered by foreign infidels from America.  Your suggestion is ludicrous.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
That's a helluva stretch and I don't buy one bit of it.

Do your homework and learn something.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Why more honor?>>

That was just a little snide humor on my part.  What's really "honourable" about murdering women for not covering their heads?  What's "honourable" about throwing acid in the face of a schoolgirl for wanting to go to school?

What I meant was that some Taliban victims were traitors and collaborators, whereas some of the KKK's victims were courageous newspaper editors, people who defended the rights of black citizens, etc.

Some KKK victims were carpetbaggers too.
It isn't a much diffrent appeal , I don't want to say that driving off an occasional carpetbagger justifies any of their less savory habits.
The Taliban are beastly to their own people their best clam to fame in the past was that they could defeat some rivals that were even worse.

The People of Afganistan have an oppurtunity to live without them , I hope thay can.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Some KKK victims were carpetbaggers too.>>

Yeah, well the "carpetbaggers" in Afghanistan are the "contractors" and they'll get theirs too.

<<It isn't a much diffrent appeal , I don't want to say that driving off an occasional carpetbagger justifies any of their less savory habits.>>

Who gives a shit what happens to a mercenary?

<<The Taliban are beastly to their own people their best clam to fame in the past was that they could defeat some rivals that were even worse.>>

They play by the local rules.  They never heard of the Geneva Conventions and they don't give a shit.  Home turf, home rules.  Worse yet are the Americans, who know all about the Geneva Conventions, and just write 'em off as "quaint and old-fashioned."

<<The People of Afganistan have an oppurtunity to live without them , I hope thay can. >>

plane, it is THEIR fucking problem, not yours.