Author Topic: Cindy Sheehan in Egypt for Islamists  (Read 1012 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cindy Sheehan in Egypt for Islamists
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:11:05 AM »

Cindy Sheehan in Egypt for Islamists
By MAGGIE MICHAEL | Associated Press Writer
5:10 PM EST, February 13, 2008

CAIRO, Egypt - Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan joined a protest Wednesday seeking the support of Egypt's first lady in
ending a military trial of members of the country's largest Islamic organization.

Under the watchful eyes of dozens of black-clad and helmeted anti-riot police, some 50 heavily veiled wives and children
of 40 senior members of the Muslim Brotherhood detained for the past year, gathered in front of the headquarters of first
lady Suzanne Mubarak's National Council Women carrying banners calling for their release.

"I am here to protest the trial of civilians in front of a military tribunal as this is a violation to international law,"
said Sheehan, who gained fame in the U.S. for her sit-in outside President Bush's Texas ranch following the death
of her son in Iraq.

"As a mother of a son who was killed in the war, I presented a letter to Ms. Suzanne Mubarak to realize how those
women and children are suffering."

The street protest was rare in Egypt where authorities ban most signs of public dissent.

One woman carried a sleeping infant in her arms along with a poster reading "Father, I miss you."

In December 2006, the government engaged in a wide-ranging crackdown against the Brotherhood, the country's
largest opposition force -- which holds one-fifth of the seats in the parliament -- targeting in particular businessmen
known to financially support the group.

In February 2007, President Hosni Mubarak ordered 40 of the organization's members to be tried by a military
tribunal on charges of money laundering and terrorism. The court's verdict is expected Feb. 26.

According to the Brotherhood, 3,245 members of their organization were arrested in 2007.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-egypt-sheehan-protest,0,2650681.story
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Cindy Sheehan in Egypt for Islamists
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
So somehow, you think that the Brotherhood should be surpressed?
Does Democracy only apply when those elected agree with you?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:51:37 AM »

Of course not, but it is leagal and fair to call stupid stupid and cruel cruel even if the cruel stupidity  has been elected.

{insert Bush Joke here}

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »

If Republicans were involved with terrorism, do you think they should be surpressed (sic)?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
I guess it would be OK to torture the Republicans into confessing, wouldn't it?  Just to make sure they weren't executing anyone innocent?

Rich

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »
I have to give credit where credit is do. At least she has the balls (based on that picture she may actually have a pair) to confront these people. Something most "feminists" don't seem to care enough to do.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
If Republicans were involved with terrorism, do you think they should be suppressed (sic)?

=========================================
I know I would not vote for them, if that is suppression, it's okay by me.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."