Author Topic: The 12 Days of Winter  (Read 4058 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 12 Days of Winter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 08:28:23 PM »
Being as all mammals seem to reproduce sexually, it seems that Y chromosomes are an integral part of the process. Perhaps an X chromosome can turn into a Y chromosome if damaged, but it seems clear that some Y chromosomes, probably most of them, begin as Y chromosomes.

It is theoretically possible for a woman to give birth to a female child without any masculine participation, as I understand it. It just is exceedingly improbable.

It is even less probable that a parthonegenetic pregnancy would produce a male offspring, the odds are so against it as to be rediculous. The human system of reproduction depends on such a long chain of things going right beginning the process asexually is vanishingly rare in all higher vertabrates,and changeing an X into a Y cromozome requires exactly the right sort of damage , a once in eons event,But all the necessacery material is present so it isn't an absolute impossibility.

Suppose though that it was absolutly impossible , I would still think it was a miricle and God can do those.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
I would still think it was a miricle and God can do those.

Or so they say. I have yet to see God perform a miracle.

I fail to see why it is necessary for Jesus to share chromosomes with a Deity to be a worthy figure. The original definition of a Messiah did not involve God having offspring. Judaism is strictly monotheistic: God does not have divine children. The Son of God bit comes from other religions prevalent in those times.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

bsb

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
I tend to think that what makes life so miraculous is the fact that it occurs without the help of a god. If a diety existed, and it had the power to produce life, then it wouldn't be a miracle. It would just be a god doing its thing.

bsb

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
I would still think it was a miricle and God can do those.

Or so they say. I have yet to see God perform a miracle.

I fail to see why it is necessary for Jesus to share chromosomes with a Deity to be a worthy figure. The original definition of a Messiah did not involve God having offspring. Judaism is strictly monotheistic: God does not have divine children. The Son of God bit comes from other religions prevalent in those times.

Things you often see are not considered Miraculous, even if they are.

We are actually liveing on a planet of miricles and we are miricles ourselves.

How narrow are the odds that the planet would be habitable?

What do we understand about how we think?Isn't the life we live and the thoughts we think miraclous?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
I tend to think that what makes life so miraculous is the fact that it occurs without the help of a god. If a diety existed, and it had the power to produce life, then it wouldn't be a miracle. It would just be a god doing its thing.

bsb

Of course , what better evidence could one ask for that God is busy?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »
I think it would be a miracle (or at least highly unusual) if among all the stars and planets in a Universe a huge as this one, that life was NOT produced. The elements are there and there is practically an infinite number of planets. So one (or more) in which these elements produce life is rather to be expected.

I suppose one might say that the creation of a Universe so vast is a miracle. But perhaps it is just a normal occurrence. We are not really qualified to say which.

There is so much that humans do not know about the Universe (which does not seem to be designed for us to understand it, really), that we are really not good judges of what is miraculous and what is not.

A virgin birth is fairly common among many species. I can take a cutting from a plant in my front yard, stick it in the ground, and it becomes another new plant. That is either miraculous or just the way the plant was designed. But the same trick will not work with a palm tree. So perhaps that not happening is the miraculous act, hunh?

If a Komodo dragon can reproduce asexually, then perhaps a human reproduction of the same sort is not really so miraculous after all.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »

bsb

I tend to think that God doesn't want to force himself on people and if they want him he's there and if they don't want him then she doesn't bother. The degree miraculous are measured is different for each person. Some people might look at the Grand Canyon and see a miracle yet another person might see a big hole in the ground. People that come back to life after a brief death seem to indicate some kind of existence after death. Life after death seems rather attractive but not for those going to hell. Then again hanging out with the 'Creator' of everything would be like living a miracle.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
So you actually believe that there is a Hell and that the souls of the godly will be "hanging out" with God?

I find these beliefs both quaint and improbable.

Mark Twain commented that most people found a two hour church service intolerable, and thought they would be quite disappointed singing praises to God in the Choir Celestial for all eternity.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
So you actually believe that there is a Hell and that the souls of the godly will be "hanging out" with God?

I find these beliefs both quaint and improbable.

Mark Twain commented that most people found a two hour church service intolerable, and thought they would be quite disappointed singing praises to God in the Choir Celestial for all eternity.

Mark is where he wants to be, and so are you, and that is fine with me.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
Another silly belief is that God punishes people who do not spend eternity singing his praises. If you have ever had a dog, you have probably noticed that one that constantly slobbers on you and makes you the center of your life gets to be a tad annoying. Some people even prefer cats who ignore them completely most of the time.

Priests have a vested interested in making it sound like constant attention to the Church is essential. So does Coca-Cola,and for the same reason.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
Another silly belief is that God punishes people who do not spend eternity singing his praises. If you have ever had a dog, you have probably noticed that one that constantly slobbers on you and makes you the center of your life gets to be a tad annoying. Some people even prefer cats who ignore them completely most of the time.

Priests have a vested interested in making it sound like constant attention to the Church is essential. So does Coca-Cola,and for the same reason.

There is no law that says you have to go to church or believe in God. So do and believe what you like. You and Al Gore can go worship polar bears for all I care. Go find a half melted iceberg and jack off on it if you like.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
You are such an expert at conversation.