Author Topic: My church isn't controversial  (Read 2241 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My church isn't controversial
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IAjphhw6E[/youtube]

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: My church isn't controversial
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
Okay, Wright is a wacko. Everyone knows that.

This isn't news any more. Go look for Amelia Earhart, why don't you?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »
Okay, Wright is a wacko. Everyone knows that.

This isn't news any more. Go look for Amelia Earhart, why don't you?

BHO never realised this in the twenty years of attendance?

I have fallen asleep in service a time or two , but this is rediculous.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »
The way you get a huge congregation is by entertaining them. Go to any mega-church and you will see this. The preachers are always saying wacky stuff. It's what brings them out.

In my university I have heard all sorts of nonsense from preachers. Being as I was required to attend, I did not protest the silly things they said, because I liked getting paid, and basically, what they said was harmless. There was never a call to any action more extreme than putting money in a plate. Being as for every one of the 32 years I taught there I believed that the Bible was not the word of God, I disagreed with pretty much all they said.

What Wright said was also harmless. So far, no extreme actions have been inspired by him. Hes just a wacky preacher blowing off steam and entertaining the masses. Sort of a religious George Carlin. A less musical MIck Jagger.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »
The way you get a huge congregation is by entertaining them. Go to any mega-church and you will see this. The preachers are always saying wacky stuff. It's what brings them out.

In my university I have heard all sorts of nonsense from preachers. Being as I was required to attend, I did not protest the silly things they said, because I liked getting paid, and basically, what they said was harmless. There was never a call to any action more extreme than putting money in a plate. Being as for every one of the 32 years I taught there I believed that the Bible was not the word of God, I disagreed with pretty much all they said.

What Wright said was also harmless. So far, no extreme actions have been inspired by him. Hes just a wacky preacher blowing off steam and entertaining the masses. Sort of a religious George Carlin. A less musical MIck Jagger.

Tell that to John Brown.

in 1837, at a memorial service for the murdered abolitionist editor Elijah Lovejoy, Brown committed his life to destroying slavery

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jah/87.3/mr_7.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
Wright is nothing at all like John Brown. John Brown was too intense to ever attract a large following. He scared even most of the slaves he was trying to free. John Brown was a charismatic, wild-eyed,  obsessed  monomaniacal fanatic. Mostly what he and others like him did was to convince the South that no compromise would ever bve possible and that secession was the only way to go when Lincoln was elected.

Wright is an entertainer on the Jesus circuit.

Which was a disaster for nearly all the South, including many of the slaves, and much of the North.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
Wright is nothing at all like John Brown. John Brown was too intense to ever attract a large following. He scared even most of the slaves he was trying to free. John Brown was a charismatic, wild-eyed,  obsessed  monomaniacal fanatic. Mostly what he and others like him did was to convince the South that no compromise would ever bve possible and that secession was the only way to go when Lincoln was elected.

Wright is an entertainer on the Jesus circuit.

Which was a disaster for nearly all the South, including many of the slaves, and much of the North.

So Wright is worse ?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »
So Wright is worse ?

He is certainly not the threat to the status quo Brown was. I don;t see this as being a question of worse or better, just different. You brought Brown up. He does not belong in this discussion, really. Slavery has been abolished. John Brown is as irrelevant as a stagecoach or a steam locomotive.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:41:06 AM »
So Wright is worse ?

He is certainly not the threat to the status quo Brown was. I don;t see this as being a question of worse or better, just different. You brought Brown up. He does not belong in this discussion, really. Slavery has been abolished. John Brown is as irrelevant as a stagecoach or a steam locomotive.

What ever the Preacher said to John Brown , it didn't make that preacher himself take up the gun. He was just a wacky preacher blowing off steam and entertaining the masses.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »
John Brown was a preacher. Surely you know that.

He wasn't affected by some preacher, he WAS that preacher.

Brown was not an entertainer, whatever else he was. He never managed to get any sort of respectably large group together. He scared people, they thought he was likely to get them killed. And this was a correct assumption, too.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
John Brown was a preacher. Surely you know that.

He wasn't affected by some preacher, he WAS that preacher.

Brown was not an entertainer, whatever else he was. He never managed to get any sort of respectably large group together. He scared people, they thought he was likely to get them killed. And this was a correct assumption, too.

I don't think you have any of that right, except the scary part.

http://www.nndb.com/people/724/000082478/

John Brown
Born: 9-May-1800
Birthplace: Torrington, CT
Died: 2-Dec-1859
Location of death: Charles Town, VA
Cause of death: Execution
Remains: Buried, John Brown Farm, North Elba, NY

Religion: Congregationalist
Race or Ethnicity: White
Sexual orientation: Straight
http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/a_c/brown.htm
Setting out in life as a businessman, he went from mild success to repeated failure, and from 1825 to 1855 moved his large family ten times, shifting his occupation from tanner to shepherd to farmer and working at whatever odd jobs he could find. Always a committed abolitionist, during these years he offered his homes as waystops on the Underground Railroad and insisted that his churches admit African-Americans as full members of their congregations.

...Finally, in October, he left Kansas for a tour through the Northeast, where he was acclaimed for his militant opposition to slavery.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 02:02:50 AM »
..Finally, in October, he left Kansas for a tour through the Northeast, where he was acclaimed for his militant opposition to slavery.

He did this by preaching.

I think I got it all right. Brown was a threat to the status quo. Wright was pretty mucy ignored by everyone for decades until someone used a few of his sermons to put down Obama.

And really, Brown is irrelevant today, just like Wright is mostly an entertainer and a threat to no one.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
I'm a member of a controversial church...

I'm a Catholic. ;)
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

richpo64

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 12:32:06 PM »
>>I'm a Catholic.<<

Says who?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.