Author Topic: This is why Mitt will win  (Read 1526 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This is why Mitt will win
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:22:15 AM »
this is why Mitt is going to win
if this was Hillary, it would be "well, uh, I will wait until the investigation is complete"
this guy is the real deal

Romney throws Craig under bus
August 28, 2007

In his first public comments since word of Larry Craig's arrest broke yesterday, Mitt Romney unloaded on his former backer, calling reports that the Idaho senator allegedly solicited an undercover cop in an airport bathroom "disgusting." 

"Once again, we've found people in Washington have not lived up to the level of respect and dignity that we would expect for somebody that gets elected to a position of high influence," Romney told CNBC's Larry Kudlow in a broadcast to be aired later. "Very disappointing. He's no longer associated with my campaign, as you can imagine. ... I'm sorry to see that he has fallen short."

Craig was one of Romney's top two backers in the Senate and had worked to round up support there for the former governor. After Craig's bathroom encounter was reported, the Romney campaign moved to distance itself from the Idahoan, issuing a terse statement last night that it was no longer associated with Craig and that it didn't want the senator to be a distraction. 

But the candidate himself went much further today, seeking to tie Craig's alleged search for a gay liasion to the broader pattern of corruption permeating Washington in recent years.

"I think it reminds us of Mark Foley and Bill Clinton, (nice punch at Hillary)" Romney told Kudlow, in remarks reported on the network's First Read blog. "I think it reminds us of the fact that people who are elected to public office continue to disappoint, and they somehow think that if they vote the right way on issues of significance or they can speak a good game, that we'll just forgive and forget."

"And the truth of the matter is, the most important thing we expect from... an elected official is a level of dignity and character that we can point to for our kids and our grandkids, and say, `Hey, someday I hope you grow up and you're someone like that person.' And we've seen disappointment in the White House, we've seen it in the Senate, we've seen it in Congress. And frankly, it's disgusting."

Romney's quick move to not even give an early supporter the benefit of the doubt reflects two apparent calculations. First, the lurid details of this story and past whisperings about Craig make him politically radioactive right now. Locked in a wide open battle for president, a candidate who has so emphasized his traditional family and broader family values the way Romney has can't afford any connection whatsoever to such a tawdry tale. 

But there is also in Romney's remarks a clear hint of trying to make lemonade out of lemons.  Besides spotlighting his longtime wife ? "my sweetheart," he calls her ? and five sons, Romney has gone to great lengths during his run to make plain that he's not a career politician nor a creature of Washington. By tut-tutting Craig and construing his actions as yet another in a litany of Beltway transgression, Romney hopes to remind Republicans of the need for an outsider. 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0807/Romney_throws_Craig_under_bus.html

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

yellow_crane

Re: This is why Mitt will win
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:22:12 PM »
this is why Mitt is going to win
if this was Hillary, it would be "well, uh, I will wait until the investigation is complete"
this guy is the real deal

Romney throws Craig under bus
August 28, 2007

In his first public comments since word of Larry Craig's arrest broke yesterday, Mitt Romney unloaded on his former backer, calling reports that the Idaho senator allegedly solicited an undercover cop in an airport bathroom "disgusting." 

"Once again, we've found people in Washington have not lived up to the level of respect and dignity that we would expect for somebody that gets elected to a position of high influence," Romney told CNBC's Larry Kudlow in a broadcast to be aired later. "Very disappointing. He's no longer associated with my campaign, as you can imagine. ... I'm sorry to see that he has fallen short."

Craig was one of Romney's top two backers in the Senate and had worked to round up support there for the former governor. After Craig's bathroom encounter was reported, the Romney campaign moved to distance itself from the Idahoan, issuing a terse statement last night that it was no longer associated with Craig and that it didn't want the senator to be a distraction. 

But the candidate himself went much further today, seeking to tie Craig's alleged search for a gay liasion to the broader pattern of corruption permeating Washington in recent years.

"I think it reminds us of Mark Foley and Bill Clinton, (nice punch at Hillary)" Romney told Kudlow, in remarks reported on the network's First Read blog. "I think it reminds us of the fact that people who are elected to public office continue to disappoint, and they somehow think that if they vote the right way on issues of significance or they can speak a good game, that we'll just forgive and forget."

"And the truth of the matter is, the most important thing we expect from... an elected official is a level of dignity and character that we can point to for our kids and our grandkids, and say, `Hey, someday I hope you grow up and you're someone like that person.' And we've seen disappointment in the White House, we've seen it in the Senate, we've seen it in Congress. And frankly, it's disgusting."

Romney's quick move to not even give an early supporter the benefit of the doubt reflects two apparent calculations. First, the lurid details of this story and past whisperings about Craig make him politically radioactive right now. Locked in a wide open battle for president, a candidate who has so emphasized his traditional family and broader family values the way Romney has can't afford any connection whatsoever to such a tawdry tale. 

But there is also in Romney's remarks a clear hint of trying to make lemonade out of lemons.  Besides spotlighting his longtime wife ? "my sweetheart," he calls her ? and five sons, Romney has gone to great lengths during his run to make plain that he's not a career politician nor a creature of Washington. By tut-tutting Craig and construing his actions as yet another in a litany of Beltway transgression, Romney hopes to remind Republicans of the need for an outsider. 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0807/Romney_throws_Craig_under_bus.html

What you have vying for the attention of the common voter in America is, on the one hand, another tedious puritan horn blowing, and on the other, someone who threw someone under the bus, knowing all the while that he was a gay pol who has had numerous narrow escapes with outed homosexual escapades.

My thinking is that America has had all the puritan phonies it can stand, and, because the economy has become one of one neighbor and friend in a survival attrition game with one other, they will remember that Mitt simply was a cold opportunist who only acted when the spotlights shone on what he himself was already well aware of.  If he didn't, he is too naive to hold even a local office.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:46:29 PM »
Yeah, that's what we need.

A guy who judges before all the facts are in.

One who hates gays.

Correct me on this, but is it the business of the president to denounce gays who are accused of soliciting sex in bathrooms?

I seem to have a problem remembering any president ever having to do this...

A good candidate would simply not comment on this.

It's a violation of St Ronnie's 11th Commandment "Never speak ill of any Republican" I think.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »
"A guy who judges before all the facts are in. One who hates gays"

Enough facts like guilty pleas relating to sex in an airport restroom are in.

Can you provide evidence that Mitt Romney "hates gays"?

"Correct me on this, but is it the business of the president to denounce gays who are accused of soliciting sex in bathrooms?"

It is the job of candidates to denounce people involved in his campaign when they plead guilty to offenses relating to sex in airport restrooms.

"A good candidate would simply not comment on this"

A good candidate unloads "trash" as soon as he/she becomes aware of guilty pleas instead of making excuses for people like Sandy "I steal national security documents in my pants" Berger.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:17:44 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
Correct me on this, but is it the business of the president to denounce gays who are accused of soliciting sex in bathrooms?"

It is the job of candates to denounce people involved in his campaign when they plead guilty to offenses relating to sex in airport restrooms.

"A good candidate would simply not comment on this"

A good candidate unloads "trash" as soon as he/she becomes aware of guilty pleas instead of making excuses for people like Sandy "I steal national security documents in my pants" Berger.

================================================================================
So Craig is involved in Romney's campaign?
I don't think he pled guilty to propositioning anyone. It was more like disturbing the peace, wasn't it?

This matter is totally meaningless with regard to what sort of president Romney might make. It might be germane to what sort of candidate he might make, but as a close observer of American politics, I have noticed that many 'good'  candidates have been perfectly AWFUL presidents. Such as the current bufoon Juniorbush, who is seldom mentioned by any of his wannabe successors. 

What this country definitely does NOT need is another George W. Bush.

Actually if Juniorbush had a secret pechant for buggering airedales, but did not monger wars on false pretenses and plan them horribly, we'd all be better off. The Airedale-buggering would be inconsequential compared with the 3800 dead servicemen and the gazillions that this stupid adventure has cost us.

Excuse me, but exactly what office was Sandy Berger running for? And who said he was a "good candidate"?
I like to think of Sandy Berger as half of the comedy act of Berger and Armitage, who together would make an excellent Tweedededee and Tweedlededumb.

Romney is just spouting this stuff to win the votes of gay haters.

It's a political stunt, like Reagan's famous visit to the Klan-friendly hamlet of Philadelphia, Mississippi to win the bedsheet-wearing vote. It worked, too. But that doesn't make it a decent thing to do.

Craig is more disgusting because of his utter hypocrisy in passing laws against gays when he himself seems to be one of the less respectable (and competent) ones.

I bet Barney Frank never solicited sex with a "wide stance" in an airport john.

This is sort of like getting drunk and giving an unsolicited tongue-in-the-ear "wet willie" to strange women at the bar. No couth at all.
On the other hand, it is not a Crime of the Century, either, just somewhat tacky.

Let us suppose that that cop was indeed a hetero citizen. I imagine that he would have had no real difficulty pulling up his pants and bugging out. How fast do you think Craig could chase a guy with his pants around his ankles? Surely he would not chase anyone once they were out the door.

I agree that this is somewhat disgusting, but I am not running for president.

I have been in many a public restroom and have never been bothered with cruising gay guys in 65 years. How about you?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
So Craig is involved in Romney's campaign?

Yes Larry Craig until Monday was the top Senate liaison for the Mitt Romeny presidential campaign.
Craig has now resigned from the post. Also until this week Mitt Romney's presidential campaign web site
featured a video endorsement from Senator Craig.

I don't think he pled guilty to propositioning anyone. It was more like disturbing the peace, wasn't it?

Oh quit playing games.
It is very clear from news reports that this guilty plea involved elements of sex in an airport restroom.
Whatever the exact wording is, it clear he has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges stemming from complaints
of lewd conduct in a men's room.

This matter is totally meaningless with regard to what sort of president Romney might make.
Who said it did?
I said it is one indicator of why I think he is going to beat Hillary Clinton.

Excuse me, but exactly what office was Sandy Berger running for?
Excuse me, who said he was running for anything?

And who said he was a "good candidate"?
No one that I know of.
The point was the "excuse machine" for Berger as opposed to Romney's "get out disgusting trash".

Romney is just spouting this stuff to win the votes of gay haters.
You appear to be a bigot

I bet Barney Frank never solicited sex with a "wide stance" in an airport john.
Is he still alive? I thought he had already died from aids.

I agree that this is somewhat disgusting, but I am not running for president.
Since you agree with Mitt Romney that it is disgusting, if you were running for President and someone involved in your campaign
pled guilty to charges relating to sex in an airport mens' room would you keep them on in leadership positions?

I have been in many a public restroom and have never been bothered with cruising gay guys in 65 years. How about you?

No and I hope I never do.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »
I think Romney went a bit overboard on this. Craig could have disassiated himself from the campaign or Romney could have put him on leave, while this incident sorts itself out.

Craig must have brought something to the table for Romney to allow him to front for him. And while Craigs behavior is bizarre, Romneys judgment also will come under scrutiny.

Where i come from kicking a man when is he is down is frowned upon.
Romney should not have kicked.
He should have walked away.

yellow_crane

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:42:04 AM »
I think Romney went a bit overboard on this. Craig could have disassiated himself from the campaign or Romney could have put him on leave, while this incident sorts itself out.

Craig must have brought something to the table for Romney to allow him to front for him. And while Craigs behavior is bizarre, Romneys judgment also will come under scrutiny.

Where i come from kicking a man when is he is down is frowned upon.
Romney should not have kicked.
He should have walked away.

I predict that he will rue the day he did not walk.

Pundits tonight have remarked that Romney had all references to this "I am not gay" senator removed from all their campaign records, but maintained the original dates on the documents, which can easily be considered an added duplicity.

Double stumble.

Romney's weakness is in his tyrannical insistence that he and only he shall define the debate, like he did when he tried to shame the entire mainstream media about bringing up his religion.  He shall soon learn that America is not as flockable as he is used to.