Author Topic: The New Axis? ... of What?  (Read 1058 times)

domer

The New Axis? ... of What?
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »
I welcome with reservations the self-generated overtures by Iran to formally have a "consultive voice" in Iraqi affairs, as they now stand in tatters, and perhaps to draw Syria into a new tripartitee regional alliance. While this would be a terrible "loss of face" for the Bush Administration -- a consequence of invasion anathema to neocons when war is all about consequences -- it COULD be a boon to world peace.

I have been laboring for some time under the untested notion that a consolidation of power in the Muslim world may actually serve our interests, if those interests are defined as a more peaceful world with a wider opportunity for national and personal "fulfillment" according to civilized standards. My notion is that -- even to the point of appproaching a new Cold War -- it is better to have stae "adversaries," broadly defined, than nonstate renegades bent on violence and destruction based  on the will of a vanguard powerful only because there is a vacuum of real leadership. Additionally, in a world defined by nation-states and their alliances, almost certainly there will a "return address" for any violent outbursts, enabling deterrencee where it does not now exist with clandestine foes.

Another aspect of the problem divorced from wishful ideology of neocons, which can't be allowed to guide a matter like this, is the raw humanitarian benefits a cessation of hostilities in Iraq would have, even, perhaps, in a worst case scenario, in a divided country or a strong-arm caliphate. I emphasize again that the model of the Cold War is there for us to follow, should it come to that, and the end of that conflict was bloodless. To state it differently, with wise leadership and populaces devoted to the principles of life, mostly, there will be a wide range of "points of engagement" we can join with our "adversaries," yielding, perhaps, a refinement of views and a comparative synthesis of positions allowing us all to advance peaceably, if competitively.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The New Axis? ... of What?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »
The Cold war was not entirely bloodless.

Especially if you include the proxy battles in Afganistan , Vietnam, Cambodia, Korea and an hundred small conflicts , there is a reason that the AK47 is found all over the world.

If Iran consolidates a greater Iran , or perhaps only a hegemony over the region , will they refrain from supporting their favoraite devils?

Consider Darfur where the Geonocide is fed by greed , oil and religion, this could be a site of proxy battle.